HDHR goes to black screen on Shield

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Beerman

HDHR goes to black screen on Shield

Post by Beerman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:20 am

I've added my problem to someone else's thread but it wasn't exactly the same problem so I'm starting another one. For about a month or more, I've had problems getting HDHR to start on my Shield. Originally, it only went to a black screen every few days. When it did, I simply rebooted the Shield and it would work. For the last 2 weeks, it goes to a black screen every single time so I have to continually reboot the Shield which is very annoying. I've tried uninstalling HDHR and even after a reinstall, the exact same thing happens. I updated the Shield to the lasted and nothing has changed.
It doesn't seem to matter if I'm using the new UI or not, just a black screen no matter how long I leave it alone.
Occasionally I've had this happen on 1 of the W10 machines where it takes 45 seconds or so to start but this doesn't happen often at all. I'm not sure what else I can do but let me know what info you need from me and I'll pass it along.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHR goes to black screen on Shield

Post by NedS » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:10 pm

We think we have this one fixed. If you haven't already done so, please enable "access to early features" in the HDHomeRun app settings and see if the black screen issue persists.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:35 pm

NedS wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:10 pm
We think we have this one fixed. If you haven't already done so, please enable "access to early features" in the HDHomeRun app settings and see if the black screen issue persists.
I noticed a difference last night and I've tried it 5 times with success. Not sure what the problem was but a big thanks to the gang!

tonyimp0707

Post by tonyimp0707 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:26 pm

I am having the same issue on my shield.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:07 am

This problem has returned to my Shield after working correctly for only a few days. What's going on?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:47 pm

Any change if you clear the cache on the HDHomeRun app in the apps area of the Shield settings?

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:21 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:47 pm
Any change if you clear the cache on the HDHomeRun app in the apps area of the Shield settings?
No change. Only rebooting the Shield allows it to work.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Unfortunately there's not a lot of troubleshooting for an issue like that. About all you can try from there would be uninstalling other apps just to make sure some other app isn't somehow causing a conflict, or alternatively doing a factory reset to start from scratch, confirm it works there, then add things back one by one, testing in between, just in case something does break it when added. At least then you'd know what's causing it.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:13 pm

I've already uninstalled and reinstalled HDHR and it was working before and after the latest Shield update and, I've not added any new apps or done anything to it at all. But, I'll keep trying other things and rebooting often. Just odd how it worked fine for 2 days after you mentioned you think it was fixed and then it stopped again.