Firestick 4K unusable app

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
UniCav

Firestick 4K unusable app

Post by UniCav » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:40 am

Just got a 4K firestick and the app is completely unwatchable. Skipping, stuttering, pausing, out of sync and eventually just stops streaming.
I've disabled the AC3 passthrough as found in other threads, made no difference at all.
I've looked at the tuner status and the channels I'm trying to watch are locked in, good signal and streaming rate shows 8-10Mb
Also for some reason the app doesn't adhere to the channel lineup. I've set up our favorite channels and marked off channels we can't get, but as soon as the FireStick logged into the tuner it automatically did another channel scan, came up with even more channels than it already had, most of which are fringe and can't be used. I went back into setup in my web browser and marked them off as well, but they still always show up on the FireStick app.
Is the app just completely screwed currently or is there something else I can try?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Firestick 4K unusable app

Post by NedS » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:41 am

We are investigating the poor performance on Fire TV devices. Something strange seems to be going on, and we will try to fix it as soon as possible.

jimmyv4351

Post by jimmyv4351 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:47 am

I'm running a Firestick 4K and while I agree "Favorites" is a useless setting, removing channels from the line-up has worked fine for me.
Did you remove them from each device in HDHomeRun Config GUI?
The method is PITA since you must refresh after you make each setting on each channel, but, it seems to work fine for me.
Also, do you have your Firestick 4K on a hardwire ethernet connection?
I find wireless may have the speed but often has interference that drops the speed temporarily making for a poor viewing experience.

UniCav

Post by UniCav » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:56 am

My Firestick 4K is on wifi, and as a test I shut off the wifi on my UVerse router and swapped to an Ubiquiti AP-AC-LR. Still wouldn't load a show. I reset the Firestick and got back in and it seemed better. Checked again later and still good. Woke up this morning a it was right back to black feeds, not tuning and locking up. So it's definitely not the network it's the app

UniCav

Post by UniCav » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:56 am

Continuing to work with my system, I've discovered it seems to be something related to Live TV vs DVR. Sometime I turn on the HD app on the FireStick and jut get a black screen. If I hit Up or Down I get the channels on the right and can select one. Sometimes they will begin to play, sometimes just the black screen again. If I click the Select button I will usually get an error that the DVR was not found, and clicking on that will put me back to the menu. At that point if I go back to Live TV it will usually go back to Live and give me a stream. Once I get TV streaming, if I use Up or Down to go pick another channel I generally can watch from then on, but if I ever make the mistake of hitting the Select button and anything else it goes searching for a DVR which doesn't exist and blacks out and eventually locks up.

Is there not a way to link that to my NAS or Plex or just disable it entirely so it doesn't lock up trying to connect to DVR service?

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:35 am

UniCav wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:56 am
Continuing to work with my system, I've discovered it seems to be something related to Live TV vs DVR. Sometime I turn on the HD app on the FireStick and jut get a black screen. If I hit Up or Down I get the channels on the right and can select one. Sometimes they will begin to play, sometimes just the black screen again. If I click the Select button I will usually get an error that the DVR was not found, and clicking on that will put me back to the menu. At that point if I go back to Live TV it will usually go back to Live and give me a stream. Once I get TV streaming, if I use Up or Down to go pick another channel I generally can watch from then on, but if I ever make the mistake of hitting the Select button and anything else it goes searching for a DVR which doesn't exist and blacks out and eventually locks up.

Is there not a way to link that to my NAS or Plex or just disable it entirely so it doesn't lock up trying to connect to DVR service?
Was this still an issue yesterday or today? With version 1004b (you can find that in the Gear area), we made some changes so that the DVR isn't locking up live TV for people.

randalla

Post by randalla » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:17 am

I came to this forum because of the same issue, I get a black screen when I try to change channels in LiveTV on a FireTV 4k stick. I have to force stop the app and then restart it to be able to view LiveTV. This was still happening yesterday and I'm about to return the device because the app is useless on a FireTV. Was there an update to the App yesterday? Thank you,

UniCav

Post by UniCav » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 am

nateb wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:35 am
Was this still an issue yesterday or today? With version 1004b (you can find that in the Gear area), we made some changes so that the DVR isn't locking up live TV for people.
Yes, Version 1004b is on my unit. I'll Test some more today and see how it does.

UniCav

Post by UniCav » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Definitely improved with 1004b. I've been able to get in and out and change channels without it locking up.

randalla

Post by randalla » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:40 am

I don't know what version I have on the FireTV but I can switch channels now and not get a black screen. That's a big improvement.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:35 am

Not working so good still stutters and pauses after a while of playing.
Last edited by EddieP on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

camtah

Post by camtah » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:30 am

Coming in late to the game here, so I thought I would add some more data

I have the 4K Fire stick installed in my HT room, but rarely use it. For MNF, I had some folks over watching ESPN. At first everything was fine until a commercial came on (video format change?). Upon returning to the game, the video and audio stuttering was there. Dropping out of the HDHR app and restarting fixed the issue. but only until the next break. My audio setting is set to Dolby Digital on the Firestick.

Fortunately for me I also have an XBOX ONE X with the HDHR app and it did not exhibit the issue.

critic

Post by critic » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:32 am

where can i find version 1004b?