No HDHomeRun detected.

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
BlueCat57

No HDHomeRun detected.

Post by BlueCat57 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. As far as I can tell my HDHR4-2US is working since I can watch TV but it does not show up at http://my.hdhomerun.com/.

The device is connected to a Win 10 PC via ethernet. The PC is connected to my home network via WiFi. I initially got the HDHomeRun app from the Windows Store. After some fiddling around I decided to "follow the instructions" and went to the Thank you for subscribing email and followed the link in HDHomeRun DVR Setup Guide for Windows DVR. I installed the software it had me download and the device still was NOT detected.

At one point the device did show up in Windows Explorer Network, but now it doesn't. I have my network set as Private. See Side Issues 4 and 5 below for what I did next.

Side Issues:
1. I want to change where the recordings are stored. How do I do that WITHOUT rerunning the installation software? (I did that and have already changed it but what if I want to do that in the future?)
2. I have a bunch of recording made using the Connect and Windows Media Center. Can I view those using the DVR software?
3. I have an RC6 IR remote, can I use that with the app? I tried the instructions from W10 Client User Guide for PC or Phone but the remote didn't show up Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver as mentioned. And the instructions were a bit light. If I should be able to use it, I'll spend more time trying.

4. Rerunning the installation software doesn't allow me to Modify. I am going to remove the software and then reinstall so I can do #1 and change where the files are stored. Maybe fiddling with that will cause the device to be detected. It did NOT.

5. Why, when it appears that the installation software went out to the Windows Store and got and installed the app, does the app not show up on my PC. I'll go back and check but it didn't the first time I looked. (This is my first experience with Windows 10 but I'd consider my Windows knowledge and experience above average.) I went back out to the Windows Store and it gives me the install option. I'm going to do that, but having to hit that install button when I'm running the installation software seems redundant. The installation software should either do that automatically or somehow tell me to install the app. Because I do NOT like Windows 10's app-based approach I am hesitant to just install stuff. Well installing the app did NOTHING!

I installed and opened the app and a message said something like probing found 2 devices but no TV picture. I'm getting frustrated (expletive deleted).

6. Why are there no useful settings in the app? There should be a place where I can change where recordings are saved. I should be able to see my SiliconDust account. And probably a bunch of other things as well like rescanning my antenna which I will need to do in a few days because of channel changes.
7. The forums are light on answers even for obvious error messages like No HDHomeRun detected. That is a "good" thing because it means that most people just install the device and software and it works, but if is pretty frustrating for those of us with installation problems.
8. Since I did NOT "uninstall" the device when I did my OS upgrade, did the device "save" some settings? Do I need to reset the device? Will I easily find instructions on how to do that?

I understand this post violates the single topic "rule" but I only have Notepad installed right now ... oh, slap on the forehead, I can do this in Google Docs.

Thanks for your help.

BlueCat57

Re: No HDHomeRun detected.

Post by BlueCat57 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:34 pm

OK. So I restarted the computer and now I get a picture.

Additional Side Issues:
a. When do I get a "guide"? Does that show up after the device is detected?
b. Will a "button" show up in the app once the device is detected?
c. I'm not sure if I have 2 SiliconDust accounts. I have the one I am using in this forum and one with a different email address that I used when I purchased the DVR software. Is that a problem?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:15 pm

BlueCat57 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:23 pm
Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. As far as I can tell my HDHR4-2US is working since I can watch TV but it does not show up at http://my.hdhomerun.com/.

The device is connected to a Win 10 PC via ethernet. The PC is connected to my home network via WiFi. I initially got the HDHomeRun app from the Windows Store. After some fiddling around I decided to "follow the instructions" and went to the Thank you for subscribing email and followed the link in HDHomeRun DVR Setup Guide for Windows DVR. I installed the software it had me download and the device still was NOT detected.
To show up at my.hdhomerun.com, the device must be able to connect to the internet and whatever "browser" is looking at that must connect from the same public ip as the device connected to HD from. Then all devices that connected to SD from that public ip are returned but to be listed the "browser" must also be able to connect to the device's ip address. Typically ie/edge won't allow this and some firewall/security software won't allow such either and if you use a VPN, typically your public ip would be different from the one the device connected to SD from.
At one point the device did show up in Windows Explorer Network, but now it doesn't. I have my network set as Private. See Side Issues 4 and 5 below for what I did next.
Usually I wouldn't worry about that as it usually just confuses people
Side Issues:
1. I want to change where the recordings are stored. How do I do that WITHOUT rerunning the installation software? (I did that and have already changed it but what if I want to do that in the future?)
if this is on a windows pc, you can edit the registry but for most, they would run setup. Just make sure that whatever you change it to is always "ready" and not on a remote system
2. I have a bunch of recording made using the Connect and Windows Media Center. Can I view those using the DVR software?
Not easily... you can use the paid version of MCEBuddy which will put it in the correct format which is a TS with a .mpg extension with metadata in the TS packets at the beginning of the file.
3. I have an RC6 IR remote, can I use that with the app? I tried the instructions from W10 Client User Guide for PC or Phone but the remote didn't show up Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver as mentioned. And the instructions were a bit light. If I should be able to use it, I'll spend more time trying.
Most remotes will work but there isn't much the software responds to that isn't typical d-pad, play/pause, FF, rwd (there are a few other things but they are hardly worth mentioning as they typically don't work the way one expects)
4. Rerunning the installation software doesn't allow me to Modify. I am going to remove the software and then reinstall so I can do #1 and change where the files are stored. Maybe fiddling with that will cause the device to be detected. It did NOT.
really nothing to "modify"... other than record directory which is in the DVR tab of setup anyway (HDHomeRun setup, not install and not just client)
5. Why, when it appears that the installation software went out to the Windows Store and got and installed the app, does the app not show up on my PC. I'll go back and check but it didn't the first time I looked. (This is my first experience with Windows 10 but I'd consider my Windows knowledge and experience above average.) I went back out to the Windows Store and it gives me the install option. I'm going to do that, but having to hit that install button when I'm running the installation software seems redundant. The installation software should either do that automatically or somehow tell me to install the app. Because I do NOT like Windows 10's app-based approach I am hesitant to just install stuff. Well installing the app did NOTHING!

I installed and opened the app and a message said something like probing found 2 devices but no TV picture. I'm getting frustrated (expletive deleted).
I think you covered this in your next post as you stated you got picture.
6. Why are there no useful settings in the app? There should be a place where I can change where recordings are saved. I should be able to see my SiliconDust account. And probably a bunch of other things as well like rescanning my antenna which I will need to do in a few days because of channel changes.
one needs no such settings in the app... it is only a client not the DVR... the device itself will autoscan from time to time so unless you need it picked up right then, there would be "no need" it is also considered an "administrative" function and the device is "expected" to be used by several clients throughout the home so typically one would make sure to not do such that might possibly interfere with the DVR and viewing.
7. The forums are light on answers even for obvious error messages like No HDHomeRun detected. That is a "good" thing because it means that most people just install the device and software and it works, but if is pretty frustrating for those of us with installation problems.
8. Since I did NOT "uninstall" the device when I did my OS upgrade, did the device "save" some settings? Do I need to reset the device? Will I easily find instructions on how to do that?

I understand this post violates the single topic "rule" but I only have Notepad installed right now ... oh, slap on the forehead, I can do this in Google Docs.

Thanks for your help.
For the client software (and setup software) a udp packet is sent to the broadcast address(es) of the device looking for the HDHomeRun devices(and recording engines). Nothing to "install" as far as the devices go to access them (yes the DVR engine must be installed and some client to view must be installed but some can get away with just a browser or dlna player that is already installed (though probably not recommended). Sometimes firewalls get in the way as well as when there are multiple network interfaces, particularly if they overlap... In the way you stated you hooked it up, you would want to turn on internet connection sharing that way the device can connect to the internet but really the device should be wired to your network not your computer (though you would also want at least the recording engine to also be wired to that network as most will find a typical viewing client can work over "good" wifi).
BlueCat57 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Additional Side Issues:
c. I'm not sure if I have 2 SiliconDust accounts. I have the one I am using in this forum and one with a different email address that I used when I purchased the DVR software. Is that a problem?
a) to have "guide", the device (HDHR) must be able to connect to the internet (the channels also must be picked up by the scan which I will assume you have done)
b) the "guide" is the slice on the right side... it is also part of "discover" in the menu system
c) your "account" as far as things working is primarily based on DeviceID (one registers the devices when they get the DVR... almost automatic now)

BlueCat57

Post by BlueCat57 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:56 pm

signcarver wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:15 pm
To show up at my.hdhomerun.com, the device must be able to connect to the internet and whatever "browser" is looking at that must connect from the same public ip as the device connected to HD from. Then all devices that connected to SD from that public ip are returned but to be listed the "browser" must also be able to connect to the device's ip address. Typically ie/edge won't allow this and some firewall/security software won't allow such either and if you use a VPN, typically your public ip would be different from the one the device connected to SD from.

***I am using Chrome. I did turn on Internet Connection Sharing but that did nothing. At this point I want to leave the device connected to the PC for DVR storage. Any other thoughts on getting the device IP right so it will be "detected"? I mentioned that the device was connected to a Windows 7 system in a similar fashion and worked just fine. (We do NOT stream to any other devices and have no plans to do so.) Is there a way to "reset" the device if that might allow detection? I tried searching the forums for how to do that but didn't find anything relevant or useful.

[/quote]Most remotes will work but there isn't much the software responds to that isn't typical d-pad, play/pause, FF, rwd (there are a few other things but they are hardly worth mentioning as they typically don't work the way one expects)

***How exactly are you supposed to control a supposed DVR without a Remote Control? And very limited function when you get a remote to work just doesn't sound like very good software. I've been very happy with HDHomeRun, but I'm already "homesick" for Windows Media Center. Is the SiliconDust DVR software worth the effort?
one needs no such settings in the app... it is only a client not the DVR... the device itself will autoscan from time to time so unless you need it picked up right then, there would be "no need" it is also considered an "administrative" function and the device is "expected" to be used by several clients throughout the home so typically one would make sure to not do such that might possibly interfere with the DVR and viewing.

***OK. I'll reserve judgment until I get the DVR software working. I'm viewing the device and software as a unit. So I'll try to separate them.

[/quote]
For the client software (and setup software) a udp packet is sent to the broadcast address(es) of the device looking for the HDHomeRun devices(and recording engines). Nothing to "install" as far as the devices go to access them (yes the DVR engine must be installed and some client to view must be installed but some can get away with just a browser or dlna player that is already installed (though probably not recommended). Sometimes firewalls get in the way as well as when there are multiple network interfaces, particularly if they overlap... In the way you stated you hooked it up, you would want to turn on internet connection sharing that way the device can connect to the internet but really the device should be wired to your network not your computer (though you would also want at least the recording engine to also be wired to that network as most will find a typical viewing client can work over "good" wifi).

***"Really your device should be wired to your network..." I guess SiliconDust assumes that people that are buying these devices have much more sophisticated networks than I. I just want to plop down in from of my "cut the cord" "HTPC" and be a Couch Potato and watch my shows that I've recorded so I can skip commercials.
BlueCat57 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Additional Side Issues:
a) to have "guide", the device (HDHR) must be able to connect to the internet (the channels also must be picked up by the scan which I will assume you have done)
b) the "guide" is the slice on the right side... it is also part of "discover" in the menu system
[/quote]

***I'm hoping that once I get the device "detected" that the guide shows up as a nice grid across the whole screen like most other DVR software I've seen.

Thank you for your assistance. Once I get this working I hope I can help others as well.

PS - I just went back out to Windows Explorer to see if the device would show up. It flashed up for a moment then disappeared. Gremlins.

BlueCat57

Post by BlueCat57 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:19 am

Status update: I unplugged the power and ethernet from the device and left for many minutes. I shut down my computer and left it for a bit. Then I plugged the device back in. Waited. Turned on my computer and as soon as it booted up went to Windows Explorer and selected Network.

The device showed up in the network discovery (under Media Devices) so I immediately double-clicked on it and it took me to this webpage: Not secure http://169.254.186.242/ (I have the HTTPS Everywhere extension turned off. Should I remove it?)

That webpage gives me a dialogue box (I haven't figured out how to post images in a comment.) that has the following information:
HDHomeRun CONNECT
Model: HDHR4-2US
Device ID: 10410F7
Firmware: 20190621
Channel Lineup
Tuner Status
System Status
Installation Instructions

The last time I got to this page I looked at each of those options. Then when I left the page and tried to return the page wouldn’t load.

The my.hdhomerun.com still shows “ Not secure No HDHomeRun detected.”

I’m going to stop here and leave everything as-is for a while in hopes of receiving some suggestions on how to proceed.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:51 am

Hi,

The HDHomeRun tuner needs internet access in order for guide to work and for the HDHomeRun DVR to work. When you plug it directly into your PC via Ethernet it doesn't have internet access so it can't set up guide data.

If changing your network layout isn't an option the alternative is to enable internet connection sharing on your PC such that your PC provides internet to the HDHomeRun.

Nick

BlueCat57

Post by BlueCat57 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:02 am

nickk wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:51 am
Hi,

The HDHomeRun tuner needs internet access in order for guide to work and for the HDHomeRun DVR to work. When you plug it directly into your PC via Ethernet it doesn't have internet access so it can't set up guide data.

If changing your network layout isn't an option the alternative is to enable internet connection sharing on your PC such that your PC provides internet to the HDHomeRun.

Nick
Thank you Nick.

A note for the SD marketing people: If the device NEEDS to be connected directly a network/internet, please make that clear in your marketing materials and nearly NON-existent installation instructions.

I did attempt to "share" the internet connection on the PC. I also checked to see if the device showed up in my router's connected device list. It did NOT.

Can you point me to someplace where I might find instructions on how to "share" the internet connection? It seems pretty "easy" and "straightforward". I tried sharing the "ethernet network" and that just shut off my WiFi access, so I shared the WiFi network and that didn't work. I believe my network is set to Private so I will switch it to Public (but I'm not sure what that means for security).

I know enough to be dangerous and cautious. I understand that I might not be using the right words to get the answer to what my problem is. Maybe the words I'm using are getting me answers but to the wrong situation.

Since the device is NOT visible in Windows Explorer on my computer or network where would I find it once I share the connection? I did look around to see if it showed up anywhere but didn't see anything that suggested it might be the device. It has to be somewhere since I CAN watch OTA TV, it is the DVR software that is not finding the device.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:05 pm

I would not worry about it seen in explorer... if you don't know the device's ip (which may be often when connected like you did as it is using apipa rather than dhcp) use HDHomeRun setup or hdhomerun_config_gui to find the tuner. You will not want to make your network public as that causes other issues.

Unfortunately for some, windows 10 sometimes makes it harder for "ICS" than previous versions of windows and people have had to do some crazy things to make it work. including bridging the network adapters and then deleting the bridge then go back to sharing the wifi connection. Many instructions are written for Windows 10 Pro and are missing an option that the directions tell you to do. Depending on how you do it, most likely you won't see it in your router... simplest would be to view the network interfaces (they have been making some changes here and am currently on a win 7 machine but it is something like control panel, network and internet, network connections (but I believe network connections doesn't always show as an option there and you may need to go to network and sharing then change adapter settings). Select both the wifi and ethernet adapters (use control key to select more than one ) right click and choose to bridge... this will essentially put the hdhr on your "router's" network. Over the years there have been some issues/quirks when bridged but when I just tried it less than an hour ago in my lab, it worked both on that device and when I left the lab, to finish this response, the device was also correctly picked up by the HDHomeRun app on my TV and the TV's own DLNA interface.

But due to those issues/quirks most decide to do "sharing" instead. To do so one would first delete the bride if they made one, right click on the wifi adapter, properties, sharing (tab at top of that pop up window) and share the connection. This will put the device on its own network but can reach the internet through your computer.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:05 pm

I would not worry about it seen in explorer... if you don't know the device's ip (which may be often when connected like you did as it is using apipa rather than dhcp) use HDHomeRun setup or hdhomerun_config_gui to find the tuner. You will not want to make your network public as that causes other issues.

Unfortunately for some, windows 10 sometimes makes it harder for "ICS" than previous versions of windows and people have had to do some crazy things to make it work. including bridging the network adapters and then deleting the bridge then go back to sharing the wifi connection. Many instructions are written for Windows 10 Pro and are missing an option that the directions tell you to do. Depending on how you do it, most likely you won't see it in your router... simplest would be to view the network interfaces (they have been making some changes here and am currently on a win 7 machine but it is something like control panel, network and internet, network connections (but I believe network connections doesn't always show as an option there and you may need to go to network and sharing then change adapter settings). Select both the wifi and ethernet adapters (use control key to select more than one ) right click and choose to bridge... this will essentially put the hdhr on your "router's" network. Over the years there have been some issues/quirks when bridged but when I just tried it less than an hour ago in my lab, it worked both on that device and when I left the lab, to finish this response, the device was also correctly picked up by the HDHomeRun app on my TV and the TV's own DLNA interface.

But due to those issues/quirks most decide to do "sharing" instead. To do so one would first delete the bridge if they made one, right click on the wifi adapter, properties, sharing (tab at top of that pop up window) and share the connection. This will put the device on its own network but can reach the internet through your computer.

BlueCat57

Post by BlueCat57 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Regarding watching my Windows Media Center Recording (.wtv files). I installed the "full" Kodi software (not just the app, but I have no clue if I could have watched them if I just installed the app. Maybe when I build my "test" system I'll try it out.) and can watch them.

I also installed a PVR (something) so I can use my HDHR device to watch TV in Kodi. I will also be able to record and do other stuff, but at this point it has only been an hour since I did the install to just be able to watch my WMC recordings.

The Kodi installation did nothing to change the status of my device not being detected. I just bridged my connections and .... it doesn't appear to have "worked". I'm going to restart my PC and see if that does anything. Fiddle til it works.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:23 pm

Where is it not being detected? I repeat, DON'T WORRY IF IT DOESN'T SHOW UP IN EXPLORER, all that matters is it shows up in setup and that the tuner has an internet connection for guide to work as the software that works with the the tuner uses different discovery methods.

BlueCat57

Post by BlueCat57 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:54 pm

signcarver wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:23 pm
Where is it not being detected? I repeat, DON'T WORRY IF IT DOESN'T SHOW UP IN EXPLORER, all that matters is it shows up in setup and that the tuner has an internet connection for guide to work as the software that works with the the tuner uses different discovery methods.
I am NOT worried about it not showing up in Explorer. It is NOT being "detected" (as in "not showing up") by whatever SiliconDust uses to detect it to activate my DVR software.

I have tried Internet Connection Sharing. That did not work.

I use Chrome and removed HTTPS Everywhere. That did not work.

I tried "bridging" and as of my last check, that did not work. (I'll check again but all that has happened in the intervening time is that I took a nap with the cats.)

I tried installing Kodi (to watch my Windows Media Center .wtv recordings) and the tuner showed up in Kodi (after installing a PVR something) but as of that time several hours ago no guide info showed up, the channels were numbered sequentially and not with their OTA IDs. I'll check that again as well when I watch some of my old recordings.

I have spotted "log files" in the folder I designated during the DVR setup process. I'm not sure what is in them. I recall that one of the "recorded TV" folders I had under the old configuration had log files as well. I did "Pause" the broadcast a couple of times so I'm guessing some sort of "recording" is taking place.

I did open a "ticket" so maybe Tech Support will have some additional suggestions.

I'll continue researching ways to provide the device with access to the Internet.

If I hadn't given that spare antenna to someone I'd just pull the device and connect it directly to my router. Heck, I bet I don't need an antenna to do that since all I'm trying to do is activate it. I wonder if I plug it directly to the router, activate it (if it does) and then move it back downstairs if that will allow the DVR software to work. Heck, I may just try to "experiment until it works" like the y'ung 'uns do.

BlueCat57

Post by BlueCat57 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:32 pm

Well, fiddle de dee. I moved it upstairs and connected it directly to the router and it activated. Usually, I don't know why the fiddling works. This time, well, I don't. I moved it back downstairs and voila, it works.

So, the bottom line is: The instructions, FAQ and Troubleshooting Guides should indicate that you should connect it directly to the router to ACTIVATE it. BUT you do NOT need to leave it there nor do you need to have an antenna connected to activate the device.

The ethernet and wifi connections are still bridged. The internet is still slow (but I think that is a coincidence not a causal issue since I had a similar slow internet problem before).

I'll probably try unbridging tomorrow to see what happens. But for tonight. Plop down on the couch with a VERY stiff drink and enjoy. Well, sort of, I'm a pessimist so I'll probably be thinking about how I do NOT like the NON-fullscreen guide (maybe there is a way to get that but I haven't found it yet. remember, I do NOT like to "explore until it works". I want a USER MANUAL preferably printed on DEAD trees.). I'm not thrilled with, what I'm sure the programmers think it the best thing since the last monstrosity they made, "Discover" tab method of finding your shows. What if I do NOT know what "my" shows are? I have to scroll through maybe a couple of hundred shows to "discover" something?

Well enough Debbie Downer. Thank you for your help. It ain't broke now, so I won't try to fix it.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:49 pm

If you did that it may work for up to 4 hours of any recordings that are scheduled during that time you have it connected assuming the DVR engine can see the tuner as the DVR only retrieves the rules that are coming up in the next 4 hours (does this every hour or two, or in the case of most clients, when it gets "poked" when setting a recording rule).

For the DVR to activate, the tuner gets a DeviceAuth from SD over the internet (renews every 8 hours and when powered on/rebooted), all "account" access is controlled through that DeviceAuth (which does change when it renews) so the tuner MUST have internet access. All Guide data is also accessed by using this DeviceAuth and it would probably be best if you run the scan while making sure the tuner has internet access so it can update your channels (I believe it should send the list when it powers on as well but it also must negotiate a DeviceAuth whenever it powers on/reboots)

Prior to working on getting the DVR installed, make sure the HDHomeRun app has guide data (slice on right side of screen... no "grid"). I wouldn't even have the DVR Engine running at this time until you can see such (with guide data and images, not just the numbers/name) as it can cause other issues especially when on the same machine as the client (you need to make sure you do the loopback fix). Once you see such data, I would try to activate the DVR (note for activation, it relies on the same mechanisms as my.hdhomerun.com so it should show up there first but there are different reasons for it possibly not showing up there... you might be able to persuade nickk or someone at SD to associate your tuner for you by stating your DeviceID but most likely if they do that it would be through the ticket system with your email address... they occasionally have to do that when the isp is using some carrier grade nat that prevents the device from connecting to the internet through the same public ip as the "browser" activating it but the tuner will still need internet access to get that DeviceAuth.

Edit: I see you got it "activated" by the time I posted this but still posted as there are still some things that could go wrong which were explained above. So in other words, keep it bridged or shared.

BlueCat57

Post by BlueCat57 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:39 am

Quote from signcarver - Prior to working on getting the DVR installed, make sure the HDHomeRun app has guide data (slice on right side of screen... no "grid"). ... (with guide data and images, not just the numbers/name) as it can cause other issues especially when on the same machine as the client (you need to make sure you do the loopback fix).

What is the "loopback fix"?