Channel changing issues - leop

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
leop

Channel changing issues - leop

Post by leop » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:45 pm

I have the same problem of sometimes getting a black screen when changing channels. This is on a Windows 10 (1903, 64 bit) machine. I need to stop the HDHomerun view app/program and restart to be able to view (cable channels on a Prime3).

There are also problems using an Android TV (Element). Sometimes the HDHomerun app gets stuck (sometimes with a black screen). I need to force stop the app and restart to be able to view.

Could these problems be related to a hardware problem with the Prime3 (HDHR3-CC)?

LP

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Channel changing issues - leop

Post by jasonl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic information on the HDHomeRun, run a channel scan, and enable the sending of diagnostic data in the app (see https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... iagnostics) then reproduce the issue. When it happens, wait at least 5 minutes before changing to another channel or quitting the app or whatever. Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and the time it happened and we will check the logs.

leop

Post by leop » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:52 pm

Data requested:

Channels scanned 9/4/2019
Send Diagnostic data on
Device ID: 131426FE
Windows 10 (1903)
Time/date: 8:58 om EDT, September 6, 2019
Changing channels from 894 to 1420 resulted in a blank screen where tuners 0 and 2 nit in use (tuner 1 was on 1459 being viewed on an Android TV)

Windows 10 machine and HDHomerun View left running for 30 minutes after issue.

LP

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:55 pm

We have not received any diagnostic data from your HDHomeRun, only from the app.

leop

Post by leop » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Try again with both app and program send diagnostics turned on:

Data requested:

Channels scanned 9/4/2019
Send Diagnostic data on
Device ID: 131426FE
Windows 10 (1903)
Time/date: 12:30 am EDT, September 11, 2019
Changing channels from 1183 to 1758 resulted in a blank screen where all tuners show not in use.

Windows 10 machine and HDHomeRun View left running for 20 minutes after issue.

LP

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:32 pm

There's no indication that it even tried to change channels. It just stopped playing and then nothing. What method did you use to try to change the channel?

leop

Post by leop » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:24 pm

I just clicked on the channel in the side guide. It has also gone blank after a channel change initiated by typing the channel number and pressing enter in the search line of the guide. After waiting 20 minutes and before quitting HDHomeRun view, I went to the myhdhomerun.com site and checked the tuner status. All channels were not in use. So, the app left the original channel. Thanks for your help.

LP

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:06 pm

Does the channel change failure happen that same way on anything other than Windows 10? Unfortunately the Win10 app doesn't log some thing that are logged on other platforms so that will make tracking this one down more difficult.

jazzy112

Post by jazzy112 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:59 pm

I posted in another thread about a similar issue.

Win 10 1903 caused all kinds of problems for older hardware. For example my Precision M6700 suffered all kinds of BSOD's and Black Screens, while my Envy x360 Ryzen has been fine. Could be more Intel vs AMD, but none the less age is also an issue. Miraculously after ruling out all 4 ram sticks, OS Drive, Storage Drive, and the GPU; the 6700 pulled in some updates from MS and has been fine since.

I would try reinstalling the record engine to see if it re writes the firewall rules. I am also experiencing this and haven't tried that yet as I just found out today that the HD HR app on the PC is also slow to show video. The xbox's have been weird for a couple months. I won't say tune as I don't think the tuners are getting an entire command.

That said, what also started around that time is the screen going black after a couple hours. Prior if you left it tuned it would run forever.

Also around that same time however I believe the new DVR GUI went mainstream and it added quite a bit of time to App start up on the Xbox's.

leop

Post by leop » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:34 pm

The channel change problem does not seem to affect anything other than Windows 10 on a desktop or laptop computer (new and old hardware alike). During the Windows 10 HDHomeRun view blank screen other devices such as an Android TV, a Nexus 2013 tablet (Android ) and a Raspberry Pi linux powered board can show tv and change channels using the HDHomeRun view app for those devices. And, even the built-in Windows 10 media viewers (and Windows programs such as the VLC media player) can access the prime box and change channels. Windows 10 on a Microsoft phone does have problems with HDHomeRun but they are more severe than just changing channels.

The channels change issue is not a major problem for me as I can just shutdown the app and restart. The restart goes to the new channel that originally caused the blank screen. As I posted earlier, the tuner status goes from the showing a channels to showing no channel when the problem occurs. I would think that this means that the tuner channels is changed away from the original channel but not to the new channel. So, I do not think this is a hardware problem but a software (app) problem).

Thanks for looking at the issue. I still use HdHomeRun view and the prime box to view cable television all of the time. I do wish I could view the DRM channels on the Android TV but that particular Android TV (Element) does not pass Google's SafetyNet tests at the current time.

LP

leop

Post by leop » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:30 pm

The Android TV just had the problem with a channel change (11:00 pm EDT, 9/13/2019). I had to force stop and restart the HDHomeRun app to be able to get rid of the blank screen.

LP

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Can you enable the sending of diagnostic data in the app on the Android TV, and report back the next time you see an issue there?