FireTV issues - shiz

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
shiz

FireTV issues - shiz

Post by shiz » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:33 pm

I too am having a stuttering issue with the fire tv 4k stick. I am using the tv itself to play the audio. I don't have anything else connected to the tv like a home theater system. Its just the fire tv 4k stick connected to the tv via HDMI and using wifi connection. The tv is only about 8 feet away from the router and is in direct line of the router so I don't think its my wifi connection. I have Xfinity and we average about 250 Mbps down. The HDHomerun app will play a channel just fine and then somewhere about 20 minutes or so into watching it the audio begins stuttering to the point that it is unwatchable. I also noticed that it happened when it was going from the show to a commercial if that helps at all.
Also I just checked the Settings (gear) within the HDHomerun app on the Fire TV and the "Use AC3 passthrough when possible" is set to "OFF"
And also noticed when it starts the audio stuttering, if I close the app and open it back up its fine again, for about another 20 minutes or so and then it repeats the process.

Update: Ok, I made sure that the AC3 passthrough was disabled in the Settings of the HDHomerun app on the fire tv 4k by hitting the play pause 13 times and I also Enabled sending diagnostics. Along with that, when I opened the HDHomerun Setup on my Windows computer, it said there was an firmware update available, I was running 20190221 and now I'm running 20190621 and guess what? I've now created more problems for myself. At least with the 20190221 firmware I was at least able to see video and hear the audio, now with the 20190621, I got nothin'. :cry: no video, only a black screen on the TV with the fire tv 4k stick and can't hear any audio at all. Can I go back to the older 20190221 firmware now? Any suggestions???

Also wanted to let you know that it is playing just fine with the firmware update on the computer HDHomerun app, also working fine on my iPhone and iPad. So the issues seem to only be with the Fire TV 4k stick.
Last edited by shiz on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Fire TV 4K HDHomeRun app issues

Post by NedS » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:56 pm

shiz wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:33 pm
I too am having a stuttering issue with the fire tv 4k stick. I am using the tv itself to play the audio. I don't have anything else connected to the tv like a home theater system. Its just the fire tv 4k stick connected to the tv via HDMI and using wifi connection. The tv is only about 8 feet away from the router and is in direct line of the router so I don't think its my wifi connection. I have Xfinity and we average about 250 Mbps down. The HDHomerun app will play a channel just fine and then somewhere about 20 minutes or so into watching it the audio begins stuttering to the point that it is unwatchable. I also noticed that it happened when it was going from the show to a commercial if that helps at all.
Also I just checked the Settings (gear) within the HDHomerun app on the Fire TV and the "Use AC3 passthrough when possible" is set to "OFF"
And also noticed when it starts the audio stuttering, if I close the app and open it back up its fine again, for about another 20 minutes or so and then it repeats the process.

Update: Ok, I made sure that the AC3 passthrough was disabled in the Settings of the HDHomerun app on the fire tv 4k by hitting the play pause 13 times and I also Enabled sending diagnostics. Along with that, when I opened the HDHomerun Setup on my Windows computer, it said there was an firmware update available, I was running 20190221 and now I'm running 20190621 and guess what? I've now created more problems for myself. At least with the 20190221 firmware I was at least able to see video and hear the audio, now with the 20190621, I got nothin'. :cry: no video, only a black screen on the TV with the fire tv 4k stick and can't hear any audio at all. Can I go back to the older 20190221 firmware now? Any suggestions???
Can you tell me what your device ID is for your HDHomeRun? You can find this printed on the label on the bottom of the unit, or on my.hdhomerun.com.

jadesse

Re: FireTV issues - shiz

Post by jadesse » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:18 pm

I am having the same exact issue today with my brand new Connect Duo. While watching the race on NBC today the actual telecast seemed to be fine. I noticed sever times during the commercials that there was a lot of spitting & sputtering. At times it was so bad that I had to close the app & start it. At one point during a commercial break it was so bad that stream just froze for several seconds & cause a delay in the telecast. My setup is the same as the original poster.

After the race was over I wanted to change channels but the channel I wanted wouldn't load. Just a black screen & I tried several channels. After restarting the program again a couple of times, it finally loaded. What a pain in the ass! The software seems to be poorly executed at least for the firestick.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: FireTV issues - shiz

Post by NedS » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:15 pm

jadesse wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:18 pm
I am having the same exact issue today with my brand new Connect Duo. While watching the race on NBC today the actual telecast seemed to be fine. I noticed sever times during the commercials that there was a lot of spitting & sputtering. At times it was so bad that I had to close the app & start it. At one point during a commercial break it was so bad that stream just froze for several seconds & cause a delay in the telecast. My setup is the same as the original poster.

After the race was over I wanted to change channels but the channel I wanted wouldn't load. Just a black screen & I tried several channels. After restarting the program again a couple of times, it finally loaded. What a pain in the ass! The software seems to be poorly executed at least for the firestick.
Can you tell me what your device ID is for your HDHomeRun? You can find this printed on the label on the bottom of the unit, or on my.hdhomerun.com.