My observations over 3 years

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
filmydunya

My observations over 3 years

Post by filmydunya » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:05 pm

TV Samsung 65" Smart - But not for HDHomerun -

Picture Quality Ranking Best to Worse
1) Samsung DMS 5* -
2) Win 10 App 4.5* - Use it daily -
3) Android from Mii box 4* - But my WiFi cannot handle HDHomerun stream on HD
4) Jetstream Android Box 3* - while stable , picture was faded, scratchy,

I am almost hesitant o buy an Android TV - or NVIDIA due to picture quality and laggy performance.

The DMS quality was a surprise but not practical to use.

Things that have changed.
1) While on discover mode, channel numbers show but channel names do not. Making it difficult to figure what channel the show or movie will be on. Especially because I am trying to record movie on channels that don't have commercials. Now i Can tell if it on HDnet or TNT without memorizing channel number.
2) Nice addition of showing record all vs current season and clarifying there will be no duplicates.
3) Nice addition to pic a sports team to record.

Things I wish I could
1) List shows by channel in Discover

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: My observations over 3 years

Post by Ken.F » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:28 am

filmydunya wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:05 pm
Things I wish I could
1) List shows by channel in Discover
You can do that in Discover by entering the channel number in the search box.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:30 am

The point was he doesn't know the numbers only the names thus would like to type HDNet which last I checked did not work.

I believe once/if they do add such feature it may need to be in lines of ChannelName:HDNet or something similar (or even a drop down of channel names or drop down of channel numbers) to determine you want a channel name rather than searching for the words) then the back end must allow passing such information to limit results (I don't know if it does as the Search API has never been documented and I have only seen it used in its basic form).

But why is this discussion in Hardware as this is a software issue (though it originally started as a hardware type statement, the issue is still software running on such "3rd party device" not SD's Hardware)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:02 am

thread moved

filmydunya

Post by filmydunya » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45 am

My Apologies. I started out talking about differences in various devices.

Any reason why the devices shows differences? Does one have to tweak the picture settings on TV for each device separately?

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Post by demonrik » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 pm

filmydunya wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45 am

Any reason why the devices shows differences? Does one have to tweak the picture settings on TV for each device separately?
Picture quality can be down to lots of different things and thus a hard one to say just do this to go fix.
It could be source content not matching the hardware you're using to decode the picture (deinterlacer, upscaler) - you don't provide models/versions of the devices.. (not sure what DMS is).
You don't mention if all are connected to same input port.. But if not, a good TV would have different picture settings for each device input.. You might need to tweak these for each device as you select it on your inputs.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:13 pm

New TVs love to turn on a lot of processing stuff by default that degrade quality, so that's another thing to watch out for. Especially that frame interpolation junk (called various things by different brands, like "smooth motion").

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:19 pm

NedS wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:13 pm
New TVs love to turn on a lot of processing stuff by default that degrade quality, so that's another thing to watch out for. Especially that frame interpolation junk (called various things by different brands, like "smooth motion").
Totally agree I had to go through all my Samsung TV settings and turn most of.

filmydunya

Post by filmydunya » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 am

demonrik wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 pm
filmydunya wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45 am

Picture quality can be down to lots of different things and thus a hard one to say just do this to go fix.
It could be source content not matching the hardware you're using to decode the picture (deinterlacer, upscaler) - you don't provide models/versions of the devices.. (not sure what DMS is).
You don't mention if all are connected to same input port.. But if not, a good TV would have different picture settings for each device input.. You might need to tweak these for each device as you select it on your inputs.
Samsung - UN65KU630D - HDR is off, No special mode turned on.
Dell Latitude - I-5 processor laptop Win 10 - HDMI - built-in graphics card -using for last 2 years
Ethernet over coax. (MOCA) on fios non-Quantam router (red router).
DMS - is the way network sources such as HDHomerun are seen in Samsung. I cant explain any more technically.
Sony AV receiver with Optical (no HDMI on receiver)

Trying to change things to a single remote - So I tried Jetstream - I would buy soundbar (for CEC/HDMI ARC) if a android tv device works.
win 10 laptop with MC remote works great except does not wake up pc from sleep, doesn ot turn TV on/off and not control sound.
Tried FLIRC but response is very laggy after 1st 5 minutes of HDHomerun. mostly end up using keyboard.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 am

I had figured out what DMS meant but that would usually be referred to as accessing the tuner through DLNA as DMS was referring to the HDHomeRun's (DLNA) Digital Media Server nothing to do with "Samsung DMS"

What jetstream as I recall your first post seemed to imply it was the older non Android TV unit (regular android not android tv) and not the 4K unit. There are a lot of things that don't work well with fios as often they have increased bit rate even over OTA which over moca or wifi can be troublesome. The jetstream 4k though not looking as well as most of my windows machines, usually produces a better picture than most of the cable boxes I have used and nearly any modern one... the older cable boxes had much better picture quality as the newer ones tend to deinterlace as poorly as many devices people have tried with the HDHomeRun (particularly for a ticker scrolling at the bottom of the screen).