URIs for SD HDHR services

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
mike808

URIs for SD HDHR services

Post by mike808 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:41 am

I'm running a VPN sometimes on the Win10 PC where I also run the HDHR DVR. I think it is interfering with both the DVR and guide data. Is there a list of hostnames (UIRs) that I can whitelist so that the connections in my VPN software don't get routed to the VPN?

The my.hdhomerun.com page only shows the DVR software running and can't see the HDHR devices when the VPN is running, but the HDView app can for some reason.

Any tips or explanation?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: URIs for SD HDHR services

Post by jasonl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:10 pm

my.hdhomerun.com works based on the HDHomeRun device and browser connecting to it from the same IP address, so it will not work when using a VPN that becomes your default route to the internet (vs. a workplace VPN that allows access to the internal network but allows the rest of your network traffic to stay outside the VPN). The HDHomeRun app works by sending a broadcast out to the local network and the HDHomeRun responds to it. It should not be affected by using a VPN as long as the VPN is not blocking access to the local network while connected.

mike808

Post by mike808 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 am

Noted. I had an exception in for silicondust.com but will add another for hdhomerun.com and see if it is better.

If I'm running my VPN on the router, I don't want the devices to be blocked from API services (like pulling guide data) from an EU country, for example, because geo-locating my IP from an external service will be incorrect. That's what I'm wanting to avoid.

My VPN client (provided by the VPN provider, so I didn't build it, nor is it stock, but it is based on OpenVPN) locks down the PC pretty good from the perspective of taking control over all outbound connections (from the PC to anything), including UDP, IPv4 and IPv6.

I"m not sure if my VPN client blocks UDP or whether it is smart enough to not block all local subnet traffic. The VPN client is also using the TAP adapter and pulling everything into an IPv6 connection. So there's potential for weirdness with these apps and services that only understand IPv4. Heaven help us if some nutty architect/developer decided that a two-channel protocol was the way to go - like FTP and RPC - both scourges of firewalls and defending your network.

It also screws with printing and filesharing but those are separate issues, although related. Unfortunately, only hostnames are exposed for exceptions in the UI, explained as "websites" you want to make an exception for. I'll likely have to dig down into the client configuration files to get to where I can tweak all the rest of networking that isn't directly user interactive via a browser.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:28 pm

We don't block API or guide data access from Europe so you shouldn't see any issues with that. We have a lot of customers in Europe and blocking them wouldn't go over well :lol:. We don't do much filtering in general, and what we do have is mostly focused on blocking forum access to countries where we have no customers but get a lot of spam from (China, Vietnam, Russia, etc.).

mike808

Post by mike808 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:26 pm

Will pulling guide data from a server in the EU "know" that my antenna isn't anywhere near the EU from the station frequencies and call signs it is pulling in?

TBH, I've not had time to test out my setup and may not for a few more weeks. Don't want to find out that I've missed a bunch of new fall show premieres if there's a glitch.