Bad Pixelation

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jessie10133

Bad Pixelation

Post by jessie10133 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:40 pm

I'm getting really bad pixelation on a few channels while watching sports like mlb/NFL this is happening on shield tv,mibox s but not on my laptop win10 these are the following channels with bad pixelation

715 yeshd
718 snyhd
737 tnt also audio syncing is bad the voice don't match the mouth
795 nflhd

I'm not getting bad pixelation on the other sports channels like espn 735,espn2 736,fs1hd 769,mlbhd 790 when they are airing mlb/NFL everything looks perfect

HDHR prime cable provider optimum

Device id
1326f1b3

Video proof
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q9XiS ... 07ihpR3mgi
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16uZCP ... 58akfU7Gkh

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Bad Pixelation

Post by jasonl » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:29 pm

Looks like the known problem with the NVIDIA video decoder. All the channels you're seeing problems with are 1080i, while the working ones are 720p, which is consistent with the problems we've seen in the past. Can you check CBS tomorrow afternoon and see how it looks? They've got racing and basketball on which would be good tests.

jessie10133

Post by jessie10133 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:31 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:29 pm
Looks like the known problem with the NVIDIA video decoder. All the channels you're seeing problems with are 1080i, while the working ones are 720p, which is consistent with the problems we've seen in the past. Can you check CBS tomorrow afternoon and see how it looks? They've got racing and basketball on which would be good tests.

Hey thanks for the reply I got to watch the racing and the basketball game both sporting events was picture perfect no issues with cbs

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:01 pm

That pretty well confirms it to be a problem with the hardware doing the decoding. Local broadcast stations don't go through the same encoding path as cable channels do, so they aren't affected (except when the station happens to be using the same encoding setting that triggers the bug). Unfortunately since it is a flaw in the decoding hardware there's nothing that can be done about it at the app level.

beefjerky

Post by beefjerky » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:07 pm

So, with the new Shield TV out, I'm wondering if anyone with this issue has tried them. Sadly, I just can't find a good alternative to the Shield TV, so I'm likely to buy one of the new ones if it fixes the issue.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

jessie10133

Post by jessie10133 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:31 pm

I would like to know this as well I pay 300$ for my shield pro thinking I was gonna be bug free with no issues but I was "wrong" the shield surprisingly is not the best Android box out for the hdhr because if I can't watch my own home town sports teams then is basically useless I think silicondust and Nvidia should stop pointed fingers and get to the bottom of this and fix it

beefjerky

Post by beefjerky » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Well, I decided to try purchasing the new device myself, since I couldn't get a definitive answer. Unfortunately, the new device (Shield Pro) still has the same issue, so I'll be returning it. What a shame!

nVidia, get it together!

EDIT: Does anyone have any recommendations for a different streaming box? I need one that can handle local media from my media server via Kodi and pass through HD audio, including Atmos. I also need it to handle proper MPEG2 decoding via Kodi for my local channels. In addition, it needs to support 4K HDR and Atmos via the major streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon). I suspect there really isn't a box that will do all that well, but thanks in advance for any suggestions!