Copy Files *TO* Servio

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
cdsteinkuehler

Copy Files *TO* Servio

Post by cdsteinkuehler » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:36 pm

I've been running a windows DVR for my pair of Connect Duos, which worked great until the Windows system drive failed with the "click of death". My DVR recordings were RAIDed on separate physical media so I still have the files.

Rather than rebuild the power hungry Windows system from scratch, I got a Servio from Best Buy which seems to be working great. The only problem is I'd like to get my existing recordings migrated onto the Servio. I found instructions for using json to _download_ recorded files from the Servio, but I haven't seen anything about how to copy files _to_ the Servio.

Is it possible to get my existing recordings migrated to the new Servio?

If not, if I do rebuild the Windows machine and reinstall the HDHomeRun DVR software, will everything "play nice" having multiple DVR systems online? Is there a way to insure new content is only stored on the Servio?

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Copy Files *TO* Servio

Post by signcarver » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:45 pm

Currently no way to copy to servio... you can download from servio using the playurl for the file (reteieve it's recorded_files.json). Multiple engines work fine together. No way to "not" have option of servio recording but if you wish your pc or nas engine to not record you can set the maximum number of recording streams to 0. For further information see viewtopic.php?f=126&t=71529

cdsteinkuehler

Post by cdsteinkuehler » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:45 pm

signcarver wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:45 pm
Currently no way to copy to servio...
I'm guessing you mean "easier than pulling the HDD, mounting the XFS partition, copying over the data, then putting everything back together the way it was".

I was hoping to be able to do this via the network, but oh well... :( I'll have to decide if I really want to take the Servio apart, but it would be interesting to see what's inside (I do ARM SoC+FPGA development for DayJob).

Thanks for the link to the multiple DVR topic, great info!

cdsteinkuehler

Post by cdsteinkuehler » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:47 am

Anyone know of options other than pulling the HDD (eg: console access to the Servio or similar)?

If I do pull the drive, will simply copying the files work or is there extra meta-data somewhere regarding the clip contents?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:17 am

Metadata is in the file (approximately first 12K) so yes in theory one can copy the files if they physically remove the drive and hook to a linux machine... Personally I have seen too many people make mistakes over the years in doing such so I wouldn't recommend it as you also "risk" losing everything already on the servio (very small risk but I have seen strange things leading to data loss over the years)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Pulling the drive and copying files via a Linux machine will work, just be sure permissions are the same and the BIOD of your PC doesn't force-allocate a host-protected-area on the drive.

We have it in our feature request list to provide a way via HTTP.

Nick