Is there any way for HDHR DVR service to recognize 3rd party video files?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Is there any way for HDHR DVR service to recognize 3rd party video files?

Post by averyfreeman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi

I noticed if I record video with a particular DVR service I can copy the videos to/from another computer with a DVR service and it will recognize the videos

I was just wondering if there's a way to add other videos if they're in a compatible format to the DVR record folder and have the DVR service recognize those, as well?

Are there any other files / headers required for the DVR service to recognize them as valid 'recordings'?

Thanks
Avery

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Is there any way for HDHR DVR service to recognize 3rd party video files?

Post by signcarver » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:59 pm

Most people use mcebuddy for such... it is required to be a ts with .mpg extension with the first approx 12k(ill give exact later as i forget how many ts packets it is though think it is 64) as metadata (appropriately still formatted as ts packets)

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:50 pm

”I noticed if I record video with a particular DVR service I can copy the videos to/from another computer with a DVR service and it will recognize the videos
I used to do years ago using mcebuddy...however I couldn’t find a DVR service which allowed “downloads”, etc. except Plex+ (beta?). Several with ability to upload...however, Plex sufficed for file management, last year.

Any suggestions?. What are you using, I’m interested.

averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Post by averyfreeman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:29 am

Guh, I tried to figure out how to do this with ffmpeg but gave up after about 6 hours.

mike808

Post by mike808 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:52 am

You shouldn't be trying to use the HDHR DVR service as a media server.

What you want is a media server that can take media from different sources and serve it up to your viewing devices. Meaning you convert or move your HDHR DVR recordings over to your media server's content folders. For example, Plex (what I use) or Emby or Kodi among several others. You'll need to have the playback app for that media server on your devices, however. e.g. if you are using Plex, you'll need the Plex app on your devices.

I wouldn't want SD to take away from developing DVR features and better devices to duplicate what is a very, very different and far more complex product.