We've added DVR Playback to Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
speedingcheetah

Re: We've added DVR Playback to Roku

Post by speedingcheetah » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:41 am

signcarver wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:51 am
I have never understood people not wanting beta firmware... in the 5-6 times a firmware upgrade has messed me up all have been release versions including a release just a few days after a beta was released which completely crippled me for a few days until another beta was released to fix the problem with their release firmware.
when u have had to spend $ to replace a BRICKED device.....and have not gotten any useful help form the manufacture or place of purchase to get a replacement...
u sing a different tune.
i myslef have had 1 Prime Brick after an update to beta. Had the new one just start to fail after 4 months, tuners just degraded.
And, when u are the host to the Super Bowl party...and u suddenly have no way to watch the game....that happened to a buddy of mine when his Prime he updated to beta and it just would not work right for him...wait for an update...well, to late...missed the game.
other devices, if upgrade or beta firmware has issues, u can downgrade. not possible with SD hardware. so much more risk.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:37 pm

My point is none of that is specifically beta related, those are the risks on any update, beta or release, and if you need a feature you have to update regardless, so I stick by my reasoning that it isn't the beta you should fear but rather possibly take an approach of not installing the first week it comes out to see what issues people have reported. In over 20 hdhomeruns that I have personally owned at my 3 locations as well as the 100's I have installed for others I have never had a device brick (I don't count it being crippled by any such update a brick, and sure I have seen a dozen of power supply failures over the years and typically that issue manifests right after an update at reboot) unlike the cetons that seemed all of their devices would brick (or at least not take any more updates) after 4-10 updates and is one reason I believe their echo update to android had such high failure rates as the only people who got to test were those that had already updated the firmware at least 4-5 times.

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 am

Can confirm the "no sound" issue on one of two Rokus that I tried with the application. One of them plays through my AVR (audio video receiver) which contains the required AC3 decoding so that's my guess for it working.

I have two Extends for OTA. For recorded OTA with no compression my Roku 5000 was not able to get good frame rates although it did keep dialogue synced. I tried transcoding to "heavy" and the Roku refused to play the stream.

I appreciate SD trying to make this work, but given the hardware limitations on all but their top devices I think this is going to be tough for wide release unless it works well with the Roku software embedded in television sets.

2000cam

Post by 2000cam » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:34 pm

I have a Roku Ultra and the HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO 15201E32 running 20190815beta1.

It works for Live TV. It worked with issues for the recordings for a while.

It recently stopped playing recorded material altogether. Reboots of the Scribe and the Ultra did nothing.

I have a Roku Premiere + that seems better. It works great on Android tablet and Windows 10 players.

I think I bought in too early on this product. The beta is buggy and it has limited use when on Roku. FF is weird, no way to delete recordings except on Windows/Android, pausing is questionable.

Hoping for a beta update soon. I'll have to look into the return policy as this may have just been a big mistake.

MrDoh

Post by MrDoh » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:47 pm

Okay, feel like I've stepped back into the past *smile*. Have a Roku with the HD app, with Samsung TV's, and video is fine. Sound is another story. One station is broadcasting in Spanish, and another has no audio, while several other channels have normal English language audio. In the past this has been corrected by changing SAP and language settings. My HDhomerun tends to come up with Spanish in the settings, if available on the station. With the HD app on the NVIDIA Shield, I could get into a screen called "options" as I recall. Can't see how to get into that, and don't see the DVR options at all.

In the absence of a user manual, could someone please give me a clue how to get into the "options" menu, and how to get to the DVR stuff? Is there some kind of secret button sequence for these things? I've tried the usual dodges with the arrow keys, etc.

Thanks for the help...seems to be a lot of potential here if I could find out how iron a few details *smile*.

MrDoh

Post by MrDoh » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Well, now I'm seeing references to the "action bar" in the Roku app for the HDhomerun. How do you get the action bar to appear on the screen? It appears that bar, if I could get it on-screen, has the settings that I need. I see the row of channels and the guide row, but no action bar on the bottom of the screen (or anywhere else).

Is the action bar being added later? Or is there some secret combination of remote buttons that causes it to show?

Any help? Am I asking in the right place? Doesn't seem to be much activity here?

Thanks.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:20 pm

The DVR stuff is located right on the first screen of the app, if you have the DVR running and it is a version that supports Roku (must be the latest app version on Android, or the latest beta on any other platform).

There is no way to switch audio tracks on Roku due to limitations in Roku's video player.

Zone99

Post by Zone99 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:34 am

I'm a bit confused here.

I have an HDHomerun Prime and was trying this to see if it would work.

I went to https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/downloads and downloaded the latest beta available for Win10. Ran through the installer program did the DVR install to my NAS. My NAS install said I had to have an HDHomerun share on my NAS, which I do and it seems to work as I can access my recordings. I couldn't get that error to go away though.

I installed the Roku app on my Roku TV (a TCL model) and it found my HDHomerun Prime. It will give me a list of channels but when it attempts to play a channel, I get a progress bar on a black screen and then back to the channel list. It gives me an error telling me it isn't compatible with the 6/21 20190621 version.

Going to myhdhomerun.com shows I'm at 20190621 for HDHomerun RECORD. However, opening up the HDHomerun setup app and looking at my tuner, it says 20190715beta1 for firmware.

So, what am I missing? And how do I update this to get the LiveTV and DVR options working?

Thanks.

Zone99

Post by Zone99 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:43 am

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:52 am
Ken.F wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:50 am
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:47 am
The message is saying RECORD is out of date...NOT the device firmware.
I was editing my post while you replied. I don't know what they are talking about. The DVR software has no firmware.
Update Record Engine.....that is a software that can be upgraded.
Same as the Win software .exe.
Yeah, got that installed it. The Record version stays at 20190621.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:58 am

What NAS? I had to manually install it on the WD's for the latest betas to take as windows setup wouldn't update such... for qnap, synology or asustor, I suggest getting demonrik's latest package.

Others that have been having issue have referred to "firmware" as they are trying to update a scribe or servio with the new engine.

As far as getting roku to work with a prime, for most, it may never be possible as the roku player is terrible at excepting valid ts streams that cable typically uses and there are some OTA stations that also do things that roku can't handle but not as common as cable companies.

cscoppa

Post by cscoppa » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:08 am

signcarver wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:58 am
What NAS? I had to manually install it on the WD's for the latest betas to take as windows setup wouldn't update such... for qnap, synology or asustor, I suggest getting demonrik's latest package.

Others that have been having issue have referred to "firmware" as they are trying to update a scribe or servio with the new engine.

As far as getting roku to work with a prime, for most, it may never be possible as the roku player is terrible at excepting valid ts streams that cable typically uses and there are some OTA stations that also do things that roku can't handle but not as common as cable companies.
Exactly my experience. I have a Prime, only a few channels work with the latest versions of everything. The extra metadata that Comcast injects makes the Roku puke. (they inject markers for dynamic targeted ads, even local ones)

2000cam

Post by 2000cam » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:36 pm

It's November.

I can't believe we haven't gotten anything beyond an August Beta.
20190815beta1

At least roll the beta into a new non-beta code.

Nothing has changed for me Roku Premiere+ is good for DVR playback, newer and better Roku Ultra doesn't playback DVR. 1/3 progress bar and jumps right back to beginning screen.

No one cares?
:x

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:00 pm

Playback issues are beyond sd's control as all they do is provide the url to access the content... a result there are only 3 places for things to go wrong. For most it will be that roku's are terrible devices for tv content (they are fine for internet content that was "made" for roku) the other would be your network itself which can have issues that help contribute to the primary issue being seen. The other issue would be in what you get with reception, which includes the source stream itself from antenna or cable. Again the primary issue can easily pop up with any issue in the stream.