We've added DVR Playback to Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
daurora
Device ID: EXTEND 10504C45, CONNECT 1040082F & CONNECT Quatro 10712728

Re: We've added DVR Playback to Roku

Post by daurora » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:41 am

Hi Signcarver:

Wifi is not a factor here, I'm getting 90Mbps on my Roku Ultra hard wired speed test.

Although, I believe the Roku players are limited to a maximum bitrate of 12Mbps.

[According to the Roku Player secret menu screen: Press Home five times, RW three times, FF twice.]

daurora

zencasa

Post by zencasa » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:38 am

Nateb,

Since I can find no way to post my own problem, I'll have to just reply to your announcement.

Roku channel store does NOT have a new version of HDHomeRun. I was anxious to try it since the previous version DOES NOT WORK. On my Roku stick (updated) it can't find the tuner (Connect Duo) which FIVE other devices find every time. My antique Roku 1 finds the tuner, loads the channel list, but all channels are blank (black).

I would love to have this, any chance it may work someday?

daurora

Post by daurora » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:40 am

Zencasa:

Assuming you have a Roku account, just log in on the Roku web site : https://channelstore.roku.com/search/hdhomerun .

Then click on Install - the lastest app will be downloaded to all your account related Roku players.

daurora

jillybean

Post by jillybean » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:05 pm

I have 2 x HDHomeRun devices (Connect & Connect Duo) and DVR running on my QNAP. Recording/playback is fine generally, but last night I was unable to watch livetv while I had 2 things recording - not even the channels being recorded. I swiched to Emby (which also runs on the QNAP) and was able to view any channel successfully. Is this a bug, a current limitation or a permanent limitation?

daurora

Post by daurora » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:33 pm

This thread seems unusually quiet and I wonder why that is; since it was recently reported that Roku is the top streaming media player in America.

It would be nice to hear about other user experiences pertaining to the new DVR Playback feature. Perhaps someone should mention this thread over on the Roku Reddit sub-site.

In my case, I found the most stable solution is to only permit my HDHomeRun Server to record from the Extend Tuner (via a Firewall Rule in the Synology NAS). This ensures that all recordings are transcoded into the H.264 format; which Roku players handle with ease. I also need to say that the 20190815 Beta1 software is excellent - stable with very low processor demand.

This is what works for me, since I only use the SiliconDust system as a redundant daily recording solution; in case my main Emby Server runs into problems.

daurora

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:32 pm

jillybean wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:05 pm
I have 2 x HDHomeRun devices (Connect & Connect Duo) and DVR running on my QNAP. Recording/playback is fine generally, but last night I was unable to watch livetv while I had 2 things recording - not even the channels being recorded. I swiched to Emby (which also runs on the QNAP) and was able to view any channel successfully. Is this a bug, a current limitation or a permanent limitation?
Looks like a bug. We're investigating.

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:32 am

daurora wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:33 pm
This thread seems unusually quiet and I wonder why that is
Quiet since a lot of us are unable to get audio on Roku and it's been discussed endlessly with no resolution.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:45 am

Holocron wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:32 am
daurora wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:33 pm
This thread seems unusually quiet and I wonder why that is
Quiet since a lot of us are unable to get audio on Roku and it's been discussed endlessly with no resolution.
It's been answered before, as well. Most Roku boxes/sticks do not handle AC3 audio at all, and have to pass that signal along to something that can. Most, but not all TVs, can do this. People can also hook into some kind of sound bar or audio extractor and get a working set up. If your Roku streaming box/stick and TV combo is not getting audio, and you've already tried to change the audio settings ( https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/roku#can_t_hear_audio ) then your only options are to

* Use a sound bar that can extract the audio from the Roku
* Use some other audio extracting device between the Roku and the TV
* Get a different TV

There is nothing else we can do about that. The HDHomeRun relays the signals as-is from the broadcasters. We do not control the format the audio and video is in. Netflix can control their own video streams, Hulu can, but we cannot because we do not provide them, the broadcast tower in your local area does. The HDHomeRun is just a relay. Thems the breaks.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:18 pm

According to Roku's data, the Ultra models can decode AC3/Dolby Digital, so using one of those vs. a different Roku model may also be an option.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Roku recently announced a new soundbar product, where the Roku is built into the soundbar itself. I should have mentioned that option as well. All TV's with Roku built-in should handle the sound, too.

wlkjw

Post by wlkjw » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 am

Quote: "The HDHomeRun relays the signals as-is from the broadcasters. We do not control the format the audio and video is in."

Why doesn't the HDHomeRun's internal ATSC tuner decode the audio like a DTV television does?

If a viewer connects the same off-air antenna and signal into a DTV television, they would hear Dolby Digitally encoded audio through the TV's ATSC tuner.

SiliconDust does control the recording protocol used and application development, and thus have control of the format of the video and audio for your device. As a broadcaster, I would more accurately say this is a recording and application limitation of the HDHomeRun.

SiliconDust needs to owns this, and correct the issues associated with it.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:49 am

That is not the way such works... there are other third party go between products for that and their choice for dvr is that nearly any nas can run it... it does not require a "high end" processor required to do what you ask. SD's products don't decode anything, they simply pass the bits. A tv not only has the tuner, it also has its own "client" to play what it gets. Where the decoding lies is on the client and roku does not allow such access that sd or any other provider can do any decoding there they are limited to what the roku can handle. Usually passthrough works but there are some TVs that only decode dolby digital through rf inputs, not hdmi. Then there is the video issue of cable (and a few broadcasters) that the roku can't handle as they use a very poor mpeg2 decoder (most likely fir the same reasons they don't handle dd on most devices.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:02 pm

The tuner in the TV isn't what does the decoding. The stream of bits that comes out of the tuner/demod is fed into a separate chip that turns it into video signals that can be sent to the display and audio signals that can be sent to the speakers. In the case of the HDHomeRun, the thing doing the decoding lives inside of the Roku, or your smart TV, or phone, or PC, or whatever. These platforms all have some sort of video player in that supports a limited number of formats, typically coecs used for web streaming video (H.264 and maybe HEVC video, AAC audio) and certain containers (MP4, maybe TS). There may also be a few other non-streaming formats supported, like AVI files, MP3 audio, Xvid video, and so on. Most of these players have one or more serious limitations, like not supporting true live streams, or not supporting certain codecs, or whatever. On most platforms, when you build an app you can skip using the builtin player entirely and instead supply your own that what you need, which we do as needed. On Roku, this isn't an option, because Roku doesn't have proper apps. Roku has "channels", and the development process for a Roku channel has more in common with web development or building forms and macros in Microsoft Office than it does with building an app for Android or Windows. There's no low-level stuff, it's just building layouts for the screens and having a scripting language that controls how they respond when you do different things with the remote. When you want to play a video, you send the URL to the Roku video player and tell it to play. If it can't play for some reason, then you're just kind of stuck.

averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Post by averyfreeman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:33 pm

I don't own a Roku, but I'm pretty impressed by how you guys have managed to support such a plethora of platforms. Just wanted to offer some encouragement and tell you I think you're doing a good job. :D