We've added DVR Playback to Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

We've added DVR Playback to Roku

Post by nateb » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 am

Hey all, just FYI, we've updated the Roku channel with DVR playback now. It's still, of course, a work in progress, but now you can watch both Live TV and recorded TV with full resume support. For more info: https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun-c ... -with-dvr/

To fully enjoy DVR on Roku at the moment, you will need the latest beta firmware for your DVR, which can be found here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/downloads#beta_software

jerry2915

Re: We've added DVR Playback to Roku

Post by jerry2915 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:43 am

Nateb, I am not sure if you wanted feedback here or not. But I upgraded my Scribe quatro with beta code and tried the roku dvr playback. In the roku, I can see my dvr recorded shows. When I try to play it back I get a blank screen with what looks like a progress bar. The bar is about 1/3 white. It just sits on this screen for a while and then goes back to the main roku screen. So playback does not seem to work.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:01 am

Absolutely. I've been wondering why nobody has posted any feedback yet.

I just tried playing some content off the scribe on a roku 4k stick and had no problem. Could you tell me about your setup? Namely, does live TV work and what kind of Roku are you using? Also, just to be sure, are you only doing OTA, or do you have any Prime recordings?

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:46 am

Any recordings from Prime tuner will not play ... it will only play OTA recordings.

jerry2915

Post by jerry2915 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:28 am

Nateb,

sure, here is the info. I have a scribe quatro connected to an OTA antenna in the basement. I have a roku 3700x running software 9.1.0 connected to the hdmi of my TV. I loaded the hdhomrun app on it. I just ran a test and while I can play live TV just fine, I don't seem to get any audio? I never noticed this before but I probably was always there, I don't really watch live TV. So I guess that is problem 1.

When I try to play a recorded show I get the blank screen with a progress bar, about 1/3 progress and it just hangs there. SO I guess that is problem 2. The recorded show was recorded on the quatro off the OTA antenna. These shows play back fine on the PC app.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:33 pm

jerry2915 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:28 am
Nateb,

sure, here is the info. I have a scribe quatro connected to an OTA antenna in the basement. I have a roku 3700x running software 9.1.0 connected to the hdmi of my TV. I loaded the hdhomrun app on it. I just ran a test and while I can play live TV just fine, I don't seem to get any audio? I never noticed this before but I probably was always there, I don't really watch live TV. So I guess that is problem 1.

When I try to play a recorded show I get the blank screen with a progress bar, about 1/3 progress and it just hangs there. SO I guess that is problem 2. The recorded show was recorded on the quatro off the OTA antenna. These shows play back fine on the PC app.
Audio problem may not be a problem. You just need to change a setting in Roku. See here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/roku#can_t_hear_audio

That should fix the live tv audio issue. It probably won't fix recorded playback, but worth checking. We're still figuring out which Roku devices will fully support everything. I'm curious if anyone else with a Roku Express could also check to see if their device can do recordings.

daurora
Device ID: EXTEND 10504C45, CONNECT 1040082F & CONNECT Quatro 10712728

Post by daurora » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Nateb:

My main TV solution uses Emby, in concert with a Connect Quatro.

However, now that you have playback on the Roku, I fired up the HDHomeRun Service on my Synology DS116 (Marvell Armada 385 88F6820 Processor) and loaded the Beta Linux (20190915) software (manual install). Both servers share the Quatro with no conflicts.

Other than one small issue with the "Record Series" on the Discovery tab, where the Red record dots do not show, I find no other issues with this Linux software.
Note: To record a series, you have to select the program from the slice image and once taken to the Discovery page again, select "Record Series".

(One interesting item I will point out , is that the recorded video,audio and metadata information are wrapped in a "MPG" container. - First time I saw that from SiliconDust.)

OK now for my playback results from the Synology Linux system (with devices in my environment):

Code: Select all

Device                    Live TV                   Recorded
  Win10                    Excellent                  Excellent
  XBox-S                   Excellent                  Excellent
  XBox-X                   Excellent                  Excellent
  Roku Prem+               Excellent                  Video Pixelated - However, this does play Video and Audio.
  Roku-4                   Excellent                  Just like Jerry2915 - 1/3 white progress bar then goes back to the main Roku App main screen.
  Roku-Ultra               Excellent                  Just like Jerry2915 - 1/3 white progress bar then goes back to the main Roku App main screen.
Hope this helps you,
daurora

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:39 pm

Just to rule everything possible out, in your two cases, are you trying to playback full recordings? Is there any chance you're trying to only playback partial recordings?

daurora

Post by daurora » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:48 pm

Nateb:

If I understand your question correctly, these recording are full hour long TV Shows; whereby I have set up to record particular TV Series to watch at a later time. The HDHomeRun service has correcly recorded them and stored them under the “hdhomerun_record” folder.

daurora

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:52 pm

daurora wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:48 pm
Nateb:

If I understand your question correctly, these recording are full hour long TV Shows; whereby I have set up to record particular TV Series to watch at a later time. The HDHomeRun service has correcly recorded them and stored them under the “hdhomerun_record” folder.

daurora
Yep, you've understood correctly. Well, let us see how many others experience this or are able to fully watch recordings in Roku. I've only personally tested against the Roku TVs and the 4k.

jerry2915

Post by jerry2915 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Nateb,

Ok, so I did the audio trick you mentioned and it fixed the audio. It also, believe it or not, seems to have fixed the recorded playback issue. I can now play the recorded show.

The fast forward seems a little weird but it might be as designed. When I FF, the playback still proceeds at the normal pace, but a timer and progress bar appear. If I hit play again it jumps to the point of the progress bar. It makes it a little tough to figure out when to hit play as you only have the time to go on, so you basically have to count 30 second increments and guess.

daurora

Post by daurora » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:10 am

After reading the last post from Jerry2915: I selected Dolby Digital mode and (Auto(Dolby Digital)) format on both the Roku-4 and Roku Ultra and sure enough they both playback now; albeit heavy video pixelation.

I don't get any video pixelation on any of my other playback devices; Win10, XBox and including my Mi Box - Android TV client, from the Synology DS116 server.

daurora

birdsafari

Post by birdsafari » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:13 am

I installed the HDHomeRun Live Only Beta App to the Roku (running 9.1) using the code, but I only get audio. The Retrieving purple bar persists, and the video never appears. I also tried getting the App from the Roku Channels using the remote and by installing in via the Roku website, but nothing works.

Any ideas?

jillybean

Post by jillybean » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:41 pm

Set this up on my QNAP NAS and recorded a couple of shows last night. Not possible to start playback on the roku until the recording is finished. Is this a roku limitation, or just not yet implemented?

daurora

Post by daurora » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:39 am

jillybean:

This must be a limitation of the Roku player.

I am also using a NAS set up (Synology) with the 20190815-Beta1 software and was able to playback the 6 PM news while it was being recorded; albeit using a MI Box Android TV player.

In my case, using various Roku players I get heavy video pixelation whereby the recorded TV Show is not watchable. I don't know why the SiliconDust developer(s) elected to record TV Shows using the 'MPG' container; when it is not supported - at least according to the Roku Developer website: https://developer.roku.com/en-ca/docs/s ... eo-formats.

daurora