DVR Quits playing recording early and marks as complete

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Jimmersd

DVR Quits playing recording early and marks as complete

Post by Jimmersd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:05 pm

I have watched 2 recordings recently that abruptly quit playback well before the end of the recording and show that they have been watched to completion in the Program List page. When I checked the file the size indicates that the whole program is the correct size compared to other programs of the same length. And I have opened the recording in VLC and was able to watch the complete program.

I think this is another bug.

grumpygramp

Re: DVR Quits playing recording early and marks as complete

Post by grumpygramp » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:18 pm

It happened to me as well the other day.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:48 am

Okay, so it happened again this morning. I tried to restart the recording and move the pointer forward to where the playback crashed. When I did this the XBox threw an error, but I noticed that my NAS was slow to respond when I tried to open the management page. Once the NAS came back online the recording was able to pick back up where I left off and continue.

So it seems to be either a networking problem or the NAS going to sleep in the middle of a playback. I am inclined to think it's the latter. Maybe something having to do with a keep awake signal from the playback device.

The NAS is a Synology DS418play. The latest DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 2. Watching through an XBOX One S.

There is still a problem with a blank screen when I return to live TV from a recording and I have to select a live channel to watch TV. And this problem or the dropped signal never has occurred when I watched live TV.

I've mentioned the new problems with the slide out guide in another post, but I will reiterate here, when the guide is activated it slides out much faster but does not recover to the last watched channel prior to restarting the ap. It defaults to the first channel in the list usually 2. After it is refreshed and watched for a while the guide reacts faster and does come up on the correct channel.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data in the HDHomeRun app, and the next time it happens, reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun, the show you were watching, and the time it happened, and we will check the logs.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:29 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:48 pm
Please enable the sending of diagnostic data in the HDHomeRun app, and the next time it happens, reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun, the show you were watching, and the time it happened, and we will check the logs.
Have done and will do.

The_Jonathan
Device ID: 10715F9E

Post by The_Jonathan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:57 pm

This happens to me also.

Other thread with problem

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=71865&p=347517#p347517

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:06 am

Model: HDHR3-CC
Device ID: 13129237
Firmware: 20190621

pcrispy

Post by pcrispy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:29 am

I've also had this happen about 5 times in the past 2 weeks. Force quitting the app (FireTV) or restarting the FireTV then allows me to click on the restart (circle arrow) and then fast forward to the point where it crashed. I had one 60 minute recording that crashed 4 times during the attempts to watch the entire thing. It just happened last night during a playback. Force quitting didn't even allow me to click on the restart, but power cycling the FireTV did.

craigwillie

Post by craigwillie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:57 pm

I have also experienced this issue playing a recording on the FireTv Stick 4k. Restarting the FireTv seems to allow me to clear the issue and watch the entire show.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist with troubleshooting.

MNOiSY

Post by MNOiSY » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:20 am

Experiencing the same.

pcrispy

Post by pcrispy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:29 am

We tried watching a recording last night and it bounced out of the playback 5 times. The family was beyond angry with the hassle to get it back working every time. The only thing that ever made it work was a reboot of the FireTV. Rebooting the Scribe itself, along with a force stop and cache clear of the app didn't work, only rebooting the actual FireTV. My kids were yelling "they need to fix this junk" so hopefully they can get this solved pretty quick.

pcrispy

Post by pcrispy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Trying to watch a recording right now and it goes for maybe 15 minutes and then bails, requiring a restart of the 4K Fire TV. My wife has had it with HDHomeRun already. Any idea what's going on with this?

15203D7F Scribe Quatro

20190820 (beta)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Do other video apps like Netflix work in between when the app has problems and when you reboot?

pcrispy

Post by pcrispy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:29 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:41 pm
Do other video apps like Netflix work in between when the app has problems and when you reboot?
Everything works perfect, we regularly use Netflix and AT&T WatchTV for streaming with no issues. Also the HDHomeRun works perfectly when you’re just watching live TV sources. Just the DVR playback is when we have the issue. Most times it’s while it’s playing (and not during a fast forward, etc) it will be playing fine and then instantly go back to the Recordings page. The current show I was watching will show the progress bar as fully complete (even if I was only 10 minutes into an hour show) and if you try to watch anything it’ll just be black for 5 seconds or so and then bounce back to that page. Nothing at all seems to make it work again except rebooting to whole FireTV device.

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:37 pm

This has happened to me before also, several times. On Shield. But, not recently.