NO IP ADDRESS

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
mvinci

NO IP ADDRESS

Post by mvinci » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:02 am

I cannot use my HDHOMERUN CONNECT any longer. I have installed a NETGEAR EX7000 wifi extender with some ETH port where I connected the HDHOMERUN CONNECT to. Since then it has never got an IP address. Is there a way to force a static IP Address from my router ?

For your curiosity in the past I was using a simple ETH splitter (HUB) and everything was fine...

Thanks a lot
Marcello

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: NO IP ADDRESS

Post by signcarver » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:56 am

Often such devices isolate that lan port to its own subnet and/or not allow broadcasts through. I strongly suggest the main lan connection be wired, not wireless, and if you were to use such, attach a switch and put the main viewing device and dvr on that switch (I believe the ex7000 has 4 or 5 ports so you might not need the switch, but I often find a "dumb" switch will perform much better than a device that has "routing" capabilities). Though you may get such to work, one issue with wifi is that there are too many variables you don't control such as your neighbors or other sources of interference. You would probably be better off with MoCA or powerline ethernet than wifi if there is absolutely no way to run ethernet cable between the prime and your main lan.

How are you determining it hasn't got an IP address? All HDHomeRuns other than TECH models use DHCP to obtain an ip address, usually from your router's built in DHCP server... in some cases, the extender must become the DHCP server for it's clients but this can occasionally cause issues with multiple DHCP servers (in this case also your router). I would suggest a DHCP reservation so you always know what the ip address should be.

Though many misuse the term hub for switch these days, you never want to use a hub which creates one big collision domain.

mvinci

Re: NO IP ADDRESS

Post by mvinci » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks I have fixed it with direct LAN ETH connection to HDHOMERUN CONNECT