HDR-Homerun Signal Meter--Where is it?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Re: HDR-Homerun Signal Meter--Where is it?

Post by DebbieFL33 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:22 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:07 pm
neil459 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 am
jasonl wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:12 pm
The last Mac version that included it was 20180817, which can be downloaded from https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... 180817.dmg . There was never an official app for Android or iOS.
I just download the recommended dmg and there is no separate installer. One has to downgrade the complete installation. Is that really an option? I don't think so.

If SD is not going to support this command line app, why not put the source in a GitHub repository and let your users maintain it? I actually used this command line program quite often until it disappeared. Especially when monkeying with my antennas and wiring.
The command line program is included with all versions of the Mac software, and is distributed in source form as libhdhomerun. The Mac GUI is actually the same as the Linux GUI and is provided in source form on the Linux downloads page at https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/ . It's based around an ancient version of GTK that doesn't compile properly under the current Mac build system, which is why it was removed. If someone is interested in modernizing it they're welcome to do so, and I can bring up getting it on GitHub once there are some changes ready to submit.
Thanks to you both for your postings.
Edit: @jasonl - sure would be great if SD would provide a “Like” button so one could tick it on posts to indicate “Thanks” without a corresponding reposting in the Forum

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:33 pm

❤️ or 👍🏼

neil459

Post by neil459 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:13 pm

jasonl wrote:
neil459 wrote:
jasonl wrote:
The last Mac version that included it was 20180817, which can be downloaded from https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... 180817.dmg . There was never an official app for Android or iOS.
I just download the recommended dmg and there is no separate installer. One has to downgrade the complete installation. Is that really an option? I don't think so.

If SD is not going to support this command line app, why not put the source in a GitHub repository and let your users maintain it? I actually used this command line program quite often until it disappeared. Especially when monkeying with my antennas and wiring.
The command line program is included with all versions of the Mac software, and is distributed in source form as libhdhomerun. The Mac GUI is actually the same as the Linux GUI and is provided in source form on the Linux downloads page at https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/ . It's based around an ancient version of GTK that doesn't compile properly under the current Mac build system, which is why it was removed. If someone is interested in modernizing it they're welcome to do so, and I can bring up getting it on GitHub once there are some changes ready to submit.
I'd forgotten about that. The exact problem is that the build system (Xcode project) is looking for the Gtk 2 libs to be MacOS system provided. The libs are not where this code expects them in MacOS and probably have to be found in a third party install path, much the same way linux would find the libs. My system has Gtk 2 libs installed using MacPorts so it is not really an issue of ancient GTK as much as making the build system find the right GTK libs. Although I will have to admit that GTK 2 is also ancient. I don't have time to look at this right now, but I expect it is a simple fix to make work, but a bit more complicated to make work correctly with either brew or MacPorts, which are the two most used third party package system and which install libs in different locations.

PVR4Me

Post by PVR4Me » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 am

neil459 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:13 pm
jasonl wrote:
neil459 wrote:

I'd forgotten about that. The exact problem is that the build system (Xcode project) is looking for the Gtk 2 libs to be MacOS system provided. The libs are not where this code expects them in MacOS and probably have to be found in a third party install path, much the same way linux would find the libs. My system has Gtk 2 libs installed using MacPorts so it is not really an issue of ancient GTK as much as making the build system find the right GTK libs. Although I will have to admit that GTK 2 is also ancient. I don't have time to look at this right now, but I expect it is a simple fix to make work, but a bit more complicated to make work correctly with either brew or MacPorts, which are the two most used third party package system and which install libs in different locations.
Long ago, I created a port in MacPorts to provide the hdhomerun command line and graphical utilities (using GTK 2). I have never had a single piece of feedback indicating that anyone _ever_ used the GUI tools. Because of that, I've let the hdhomerun ports languish at what are now very old versions. It would not take a great deal of work, I imagine, however to update to the current versions provided by Silicondust. OTOH, I haven't had time to contribute to MacPorts for the last year or so.

Craig

neil459

Post by neil459 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:50 am

PVR4Me wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 am
neil459 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:13 pm
jasonl wrote:

Long ago, I created a port in MacPorts to provide the hdhomerun command line and graphical utilities (using GTK 2). I have never had a single piece of feedback indicating that anyone _ever_ used the GUI tools. Because of that, I've let the hdhomerun ports languish at what are now very old versions. It would not take a great deal of work, I imagine, however to update to the current versions provided by Silicondust. OTOH, I haven't had time to contribute to MacPorts for the last year or so.

Craig
Yeah, I found that also. I always used the SD tool, but that no longer works because it depends on old MacOS frameworks for Cairo, GLib, and GTK that are no longer included in the OS.

The MacPorts version is from 2015 and after looking at the code in the SD linux build I think that might be easier to use MacPorts to get it working. I tried just pulling some of the libs into the SD linux build and its a never ending list of dependencies that seem to have been figured out with the MacPorts build, based on the 40+ dependencies at least.

With the small amount of UI in the SD linux build I am guessing that I could build a native UI over the weekend. Honesty, since my autoconfig foo is decades old, it's probably easier for me to do that rather than fix the SD linux build. That plus I hate working in C++, although at one time I was a big advocate.

Since the MacPorts version does not build I did open a ticket on MacPorts to track this. The MacPorts ticket number is 58842. https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58842.
Last edited by neil459 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

neil459

Post by neil459 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 am

I also created a new MacPorts ticket to update hdhomerun utility. Ticket number 58843. https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58843

bdbauer

Post by bdbauer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:42 pm

EddieP wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:19 am
If you goggle it you can get the APK to side load that is how I got it.
That's how I did it as well. It's really handy to have it on the phone (it has to be able to reach your home wi-fi; this doesn't work over the internet or cellular).

For those not knowing, an APK is sort of an Android program installer. There are a few steps, particularly the first time you install one. Google "install apk" to get some instructions.

PVR4Me

Post by PVR4Me » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:16 am

@neil459 "Thanks" for the tickets. I'll try to update hdhomerun in the next couple of weeks. It is likely to be longer before I can have a go at the hdhomerun_gui port. I don't think SD does any testing of the portion of the code on macOS. It was more happenstance that it used to work. It is quite possible that it won't work any longer and it is beyond my skill set to make fixes. Not to mention that I have virtually no time to spare on it.

Craig

neil459

Post by neil459 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:16 am

PVR4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:16 am
@neil459 "Thanks" for the tickets. I'll try to update hdhomerun in the next couple of weeks. It is likely to be longer before I can have a go at the hdhomerun_gui port. I don't think SD does any testing of the portion of the code on macOS. It was more happenstance that it used to work. It is quite possible that it won't work any longer and it is beyond my skill set to make fixes. Not to mention that I have virtually no time to spare on it.

Craig
Craig, thanks, I'll use the MacPort tickets for any additional comments. However, if you get close, let me know (using the MacPorts tickets, I'm subscribed to both). I can probably spend some time on it, but I have no knowledge of the specific MacPorts scripting.

I do have libhdhomerun compiling as a framework for both MacOS and iOS using Xcode. I'm sure it will also compile on tvOS, but have not tried it.

Once you get hdhomerun working, I'll make a pass at hdhomerun_gui like I did with hdhomerun and post the changes and progress. Maybe that will make your time more productive.

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:01 pm

gtb wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:56 pm
jasonl wrote:
There was never an official app for Android or iOS.
Real women and men use the CLI. Anything else is just shiny.
There was this apk which I have used for a long time on my Android phones and tablets & and uploaded to Dropbox- DOWNLOAD, USE AND INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x0v86dbxrixs ... r.apk?dl=0

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:27 pm

The GTK GUI was specifically designed back in 2008 to be cross-platform for both Linux and Mac. There have been only a handful of changes to it since then, and it's quite possible that nothing at all has changed with the GTK libs it was packaged with, because it just worked. If you think replacing it with a native UI is a better option than trying to move to a more modern GTK, then that seems reasonable to me.

neil459

Post by neil459 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:33 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:27 pm
The GTK GUI was specifically designed back in 2008 to be cross-platform for both Linux and Mac. There have been only a handful of changes to it since then, and it's quite possible that nothing at all has changed with the GTK libs it was packaged with, because it just worked. If you think replacing it with a native UI is a better option than trying to move to a more modern GTK, then that seems reasonable to me.
As Craig and I have talked I think trying to get the cross platform version working is probably the least work if Craig has time. These are the issues with the Linux and Mac versions.

1) The Mac GTK GUI version is built against GTK frameworks that are no longer included in MacOS. I think this is a dead end. Old GTK frameworks will never again be included in MacOS and no GTK frameworks are included in the current Xcode SDKs. It used to be that MacOS tried to be a good linux neighbor, but that time has long since passed.

2) The linux GTK GUI version was, as recently as a couple years ago, working using MacPorts with GTK 2 on MacOS. It as not been maintained since 2015 because there did not seem to be any interest. I think there is interest now that the SD Mac GTK GUI version no longer works on current versions of MacOS. GTK 2 still builds using MacPorts. So it does not seem unreasonable to get it working cross platform for both Linux and MacOS using MacPorts.

3) The linux GTK GUI version should be converted over to GTK 3. This process seems simple enough if someone wants to try it. Neither Craig or I are going to attempt this, but anything done in this area for linux would work with MacOS using MacPorts with minor port file changes.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:32 pm

Thank you, thank you, Elabra.

Today, a friend agreed to climb onto my roof (only a 4X12 pitch) and install a new antenna. No, problem I will just open the HDHomeRun Signal meter on my Android phone (been years since I used it). Bammm!!!! I got slapped upside the head, there was NO signal meter in the Google Play store, WTF!!! Now I looked like an idiot (probably because I am), because I had NO way to check the signal from my phone OR my Windows computer........ DAMN..... Luckily, I still run the Network Tuner Monitor on my Windows computer (I run it every day), it saved my bacon. As for as I know, there is NOTHING that SiliconDust provides to setup the antenna direction.

My volunteer installer left a couple of hours ago, and my TV signal is struggling with weak signal on most channels, because I had to keep running back an forth to my computer (too big to take up to the roof). Anyway, this was a most humiliating experience.

Now I have downloaded your hdhomerun-signal-meter.apk, installed it on my Android phone and ready to try adjusting the antenna on a couple of days..........

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:41 pm

clarkss12 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:32 pm
Glad I could help - not my app so the real thanks belong to the developer. I'm glad I kept a copy of the apk on my server just in case I needed it again.

I will be removing it from DROPBOX at the end of the month so anyone that wants it should download it and keep it for themselves before I delete it from DROPBOX

DanWentworth

Post by DanWentworth » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:13 am

clarkss12 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:32 pm

Today, a friend agreed to climb onto my roof (only a 4X12 pitch) and install a new antenna. No, problem I will just open the HDHomeRun Signal meter on my Android phone (been years since I used it). Bammm!!!! I got slapped upside the head, there was NO signal meter in the Google Play store, WTF!!! Now I looked like an idiot (probably because I am), because I had NO way to check the signal from my phone OR my Windows computer........ DAMN..... Luckily, I still run the Network Tuner Monitor on my Windows computer (I run it every day), it saved my bacon. As for as I know, there is NOTHING that SiliconDust provides to setup the antenna direction.

My volunteer installer left a couple of hours ago, and my TV signal is struggling with weak signal on most channels, because I had to keep running back an forth to my computer (too big to take up to the roof). Anyway, this was a most humiliating experience.

Now I have downloaded your hdhomerun-signal-meter.apk, installed it on my Android phone and ready to try adjusting the antenna on a couple of days..........
Any Luck?
I just acquired a HDHomerun Connect Duo (replaced my old Dual) and would like to tune my antenna. It is difficult using my old Vizio box with the signal Meter.
Having an App on my S8 would be worth the effort.
Dan