When can we expect HDHomeRun app for Apple TV 4k?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Rew452

When can we expect HDHomeRun app for Apple TV 4k?

Post by Rew452 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:40 am

As one of the original supporters of HDHomeRun DVR, When might we expect the app for Apple TV?
There seems to be support for most other platforms, except it.

I recently acquired a Apple TV 4k and in testing I sadly found little to no support for it.

I have searched the forum and info about it seems rather dicey; so can someone let me know where you are at with one?

I did see something about a beta program but could not find where; would be happy to test.

I really would like to have my DVR and access to my DRM channels fully working on it as on the other platforms.

Thanks
Rew

NedS
Silicondust

Re: When can we expect HDHomeRun app for Apple TV 4k?

Post by NedS » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Apple's specific technical requirements prevent us from using the same app we use on iOS for tvOS, even though the two platforms have a shared heritage. I'm not sure on the specific details of that technical requirement, but the good news is that changes to our UI system will eventually allow us to more easily deploy the app to Apple TV. I don't have an ETA on that, but once our new UI stuff has stabilized, and some other technical details are worked out, we should have a good idea of when an Apple TV app will be available.

(I think the technical requirement has something to do with how we render the UI, which uses HTML and javascript, and Apple doesn't allow for that on tvOS, or something to that extent, but this is just from memory and I'm not a programmer, so I could be off about that).

Rew452

Post by Rew452 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:35 pm

Thats good hear.

It did shocked me not to find support for it, since iphones and ipads were already supported.

Hopefully not to long in the future!

Thx
Rew

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks @NedS

Eagerly awaiting

Rew452

Post by Rew452 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Thought I'd post my thoughts on the ATV 4k.

I not a Apple fan but my Fire 4k would no longer play Vudu UHD Dolby Vision so I found the ATV which has Dolby Vision and Vudu. Snaged a good deal on one and am somewhat impressed it seems to be in the same league as Nvidia ATV but each has it's own limitations.

Nvidia has 4k and audio bitstreaming including ATMOS but no Dolby Vision support
Apple has 4k but only PCM for DTS formats but has ATMOS
Fire TV 4k was a nice fit as it did it all but now not for Vudu a shame!

Rew