Need some Linux help (SOLVED)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
skysurf76

Need some Linux help (SOLVED)

Post by skysurf76 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:31 pm

I bought a fanless i5 box to run the DVR software on. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS. Hdhome_record with its conf file is on an external USB hard drive.

When I first made the system the USB hard drive was mounted in a default location I can't remember. I installed the DVR software and everything was working great. I then followed a guide to make the USB hard drive auto-mount at startup. Doing this changed the directory structure. Now the hard drive is mounted in /mnt/usb-ATA_ST4000VN008-2DR1_0123456789ABCDE-0:0-part2/Recordings.

After I setup the drive to auto-mount at startup I was getting some weird messages in the hdhomerun log files that I didn't understand and shows weren't recording. I figured I would delete the whole recordings directory and re-download hdhomerun_record and reinstall. After doing so I re-created the conf file with the new directory. When I run hdhomerun_record status it shows that it's running, but it's not recording any shows and isn't creating any log files. The app on my firetv sees the software and shows the shows that are supposed to record.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by skysurf76 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Need some Linux help

Post by jasonl » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:55 pm

It looks like you just started it up and the record path is set correctly. You haven't tried to use it yet, either for a recording or a live TV buffer, so please do something now so we can see what is happening.

skysurf76

Post by skysurf76 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 pm

This is the second time where immediately after making a post I figure out the problem and have to come back and post the (suspected) solution.

I was re-reading the Linux DVR install guide and I read the instructions to start hdhomerun_record, and it made mention of how to start it if you were in a different directory with the -conf flag. I realized that before when I started it I was probably in the directory containing hdhomerun_record and used the command "hdhomerun_record" and not "./hdhomerun_record".

I just tried stopping and starting hdhomerun_record using "./hdhomerun_record stop" and "./hdhomerun_record start" and as soon as it started it finally created a log file. I'm guessing it's going to work now.

After some more experimentation I found the problem. This one is interesting. I used the "startup applications" program in Ubuntu to start hdhomerun_record when the system booted. The command I used was "/mnt/usb-ATA_ST4000VN008-2DR1_0123456789ABCDE-0:0-part2/Recordings/hdhomerun_record" but when I used that command no log files were generated after the system rebooted even though "./hdhomerun_record status" said that hdhomerun_record was running. After re-reading the Linux install guide I changed the command in the Ubuntu startup applications to "/mnt/usb-ATA_ST4000VN008-2DR1_0123456789ABCDE-0:0-part2/Recordings/hdhomerun_record start --conf /mnt/usb-ATA_ST4000VN008-2DR1_0123456789ABCDE-0:0-part2/Recordings/hdhomerun.conf" and after reboot a log file was generated in the directory.

I will report back if it's working now. I suspect it is.

skysurf76

Post by skysurf76 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:46 am

It's fixed. For some reason just giving the path to hdhomerun_record in the Ubuntu startup application doesn't cause hdhomerun_record to be able to find the conf file. Adding the --conf flag followed by the path to it fixed it.