20190716Beta1 Installer will not launch on Catalina Beta

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
larry.walter

20190716Beta1 Installer will not launch on Catalina Beta

Post by larry.walter » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:34 am

Receiving message that package cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it for Malicious software.

gtb
Expert

Re: 20190716Beta1 Installer will not launch on Catalina Beta

Post by gtb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 am

larry.walter wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:34 am
Receiving message that package cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it for Malicious software.
That is useful information. My guess is that it is part of the improved Gatekeeper functionality(*). But to set expectations, SD has previously stated on a number of occasions that due to constant changes during the early/beta releases of new OS updates they will tend to not (substantially) resource investigation of such reports(**), as the vendor may break, unbreak, break it differently during the entire development process (that is the purpose of the Microsoft and Apple and [vendor] public beta releases to find out what they broke, get such reports, and then to determine if the breakage was intentional or accidental and to be able to go back and determine if they need to change something). Catalina has broken a number of 3rd party apps in interesting ways (and not just by dropping 32-bit support).

(*) You might try going into security/privacy and making sure that you are allowing apps downloaded from the Internet to run, but with catalina I know Apple is tightening things up extensively by default.

(**) Does not mean they do not hear/see about the reports, or may not run into them internally, and create internal notes, and might even fix something which they trivially see is their problem and it is a trivial fix, but that they are not going to redirect any substantive engineering to look at it until it goes GA.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Right-click then select "open" from the OS X context menu, for the time being.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:38 pm

While it's true we won't go chasing after bugs in Apple betas, this isn't really a bug so much as an intentional change by Apple that will carry through to the final release, so it will be investigated and I would expect an updated app to be out in time for the final release if not sooner, unless we run into some major problem that prevents it.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:05 pm

jasonl wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:38 pm
I would expect an updated app to be out in time for the final release
Once it is properly signed, notarized by Apple, and provided via the Mac App Store it will get different (sort of like the Microsoft App Store). When is that scheduled to happen?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:18 pm

gtb wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:05 pm
jasonl wrote:
Once it is properly signed, notarized by Apple, and provided via the Mac App Store it will get different (sort of like the Microsoft App Store). When is that scheduled to happen?
I'm not sure what you mean, but I believe the main reason we don't offer the viewing app on the Mac app store is because we forgot it was there. Apple has never locked down things to App store-only by default, and they don't appear to be planning that anytime soon. It would be nice to have it available there for automatic updating, but other than that, most Mac users seem fine with both store and non-store install methods.

neil459

Post by neil459 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:45 am

NedS wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:18 pm
gtb wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:05 pm
jasonl wrote:
. . . . . . It would be nice to have it available there for automatic updating, but other than that, most Mac users seem fine with both store and non-store install methods.
I think "seem fine" applies to most "unknowledgeable" or "uncaring" Mac users. A lot of us would never buy from the Mac App Store because of Apple's desire to lock it down like they do the iOS App Store. The only reason it is not more locked down right now IMO is that enough people have ignored the Mac App Store that Apple does not have the momentum to be more aggressive. Anyway, if you release a Mac App Store only app, it will never be installed here.
Last edited by neil459 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:24 pm

I'm not aware of any requirement for distribution through the Apple Store, and I see no reason why we would go that route unless Apple requires it or at provides some useful feature that couldn't be accessed any other way. We go through the Windows Store on Windows 10 because it gives us the ability to have an Xbox One app and support DRM content.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:27 pm

It would most likely be an additional option, rather than going app store-only.

For Windows 10 our app is store-only due to something with how the DRM support is handled, I think (I'm not 100% on that *EDIT: what Jason said*), but there isn't DRM-channel support for the HDHR app on Mac OS.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 pm

NedS wrote:
but I believe the main reason we don't offer the viewing app on the Mac app store is because we forgot it was there.
Given Apple's developer documentation regarding the app store, that does not bode especially well for someones knowledge levels. But now you do know.

However, in any case, automatic updates is one benefit of Mac App Store (just like the WIndows App Store), and in addition that the app store can allow individuals who do not have admin privs (like guest accounts or other restricted users) and who are restricted to not download apps from the Internet (only store apps) to run the app, having the option available would be a net positive for some of the audience, even if it was not the only distribution mechanism (just like one can manually download and install the Windows app if you have appropriate rights). I would hope to see such an option by the time the app achieves GA status.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:37 am

gtb wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 pm
NedS wrote:
but I believe the main reason we don't offer the viewing app on the Mac app store is because we forgot it was there.
Given Apple's developer documentation regarding the app store, that does not bode especially well for someones knowledge levels. But now you do know.
We've always "knew"; the word I used was "forgot". I've always been a Mac user (though I don't consider myself to be a mac-exclusive user, and use Windows, Android, various linux-based systems, and so on), and right now I'm typing this reply on my Macbook Pro. Even I often forget there's a Mac app store. It's just never been that important in the Mac world, for both developers and users alike.