HDHR Connect and HDHR Scribe DVR issues

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
hunterman

Re: HDHR Connect and HDHR Scribe DVR issues

Post by hunterman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:58 pm

I would want to use the Scribe tuners but not the HDHR DVR service is what I was trying to get across.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm

hunterman wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:58 pm
I would want to use the Scribe tuners but not the HDHR DVR service is what I was trying to get across.
I want the same do not want to use the DVR on the Scribe until I can offload the recordings or move LiveTV from it.... I would like a way to disable the DVR on the scribe temporarily.

hunterman

Post by hunterman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:06 pm

I can now confirm that it is possible to utilize all 4 of the HDHR Scribe tuners to record 4 simultaneous recordings thru Windows Media Center. My fallback plan, unfortunately, will be to use the HDHR Scribe and its 4 tuners in this manner. It's not the preferred manner, but without any technical assistance or resolution of my issue from SD, it is the only one that I'm able to rely on.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:08 pm

I've done a bunch of testing and I can't reproduce the issue. There might be some problems when using a SCRIBE and a PRIME (I have to double check that to be sure, as the OTA-only tests were all good so far), but when using a SCRIBE Quatro alone, or a SCRIBE Quatro and a CONNECT (2 tuner), I am able to record four programs at once as expected. If a 5th channel is tuned live (in the case of having more OTA tuners), it will get a direct connection to that tuner and not go through the SCRIBE/DVR software. The SCRIBE should always prioritize internal tuners first.

If a live channel is already tuned then it will consume one of the four recording slots of a SCRIBE (live TV buffer), so then trying to record four programs won't work, unless one of those four programs is on the same channel as the live-viewed channel. At the moment that is expected behavior. Maybe some day in the future it will be possible to have the app prompt the viewer to allow the live-buffer to be cleared and refresh the channel (which will give a brief interruption to live TV) in order to free up a scheduled recording slot for a recording when there are not enough slots open, but there's a lot of variables there and I have no idea if that's a real option.

There are a lot more situations/combinations that are possible, so I'll keep testing and see what I can find out. I'll also see what happens if the two OTA tuners have different sets of channels by hiding some from the other, just to see if that has any impact. It should have no impact, but if there's a bug somewhere then it might be worth checking out just to be sure. I really want to see what happens when one of the four slots is an external tuner, and since the SCRIBE will always prioritize internal tuners before using other HDHomeRun units, this extra step would be needed to test that.

hunterman

Post by hunterman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Ned, thanks for the update. :)

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:44 pm

So I just started watching 4 Cable TV shows and they all went to the Scribe for LIVETV so that means that the Scribe will no longer record anything because I am using 4 Slots ? So I have the DVR running on my NAS also ... with 2 Primes and the Scribe ... so you are telling me that I will not be able to record any OTA channels ?

DVR Status
Active Recordings 0
Active Playbacks 4
Capacity 1000 GB
Recorded 0 GB
Free 999 GB

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:25 pm

EddieP wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:44 pm
So I just started watching 4 Cable TV shows and they all went to the Scribe for LIVETV so that means that the Scribe will no longer record anything because I am using 4 Slots ? So I have the DVR running on my NAS also ... with 2 Primes and the Scribe ... so you are telling me that I will not be able to record any OTA channels ?

DVR Status
Active Recordings 0
Active Playbacks 4
Capacity 1000 GB
Recorded 0 GB
Free 999 GB
I'll have to try that set up to be sure, but in theory, yes. This is a use case where we will need to handle the distribution of DVR duties more intelligently. Though for this to happen, your NAS would need to have less free space than the SCRIBE. DVRs with more free space will be prioritized.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:29 pm

NedS wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:25 pm
EddieP wrote:

DVR Status
Active Recordings 0
Active Playbacks 4
Capacity 1000 GB
Recorded 0 GB
Free 999 GB
I'll have to try that set up to be sure, but in theory, yes. This is a use case where we will need to handle the distribution of DVR duties more intelligently. Though for this to happen, your NAS would need to have less free space than the SCRIBE. DVRs with more free space will be prioritized.
Thanks NED. It appears the only Solution is to make LIVETV buffer default to the DVR with the most space in my case the Synology NAS.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:12 pm

EddieP wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:29 pm
NedS wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:25 pm
EddieP wrote:

DVR Status
Active Recordings 0
Active Playbacks 4
Capacity 1000 GB
Recorded 0 GB
Free 999 GB
Thanks NED. It appears the only Solution is to make LIVETV buffer default to the DVR with the most space in my case the Synology NAS.
Is it not already buffering live TV to the Synology? If the Scribe with less space is buffering the Prime, then that is a bug.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:19 pm

It is buffering to the Scribe .... I have 12TB free on my Synology.

I will enable diagnostics etc... tomorrow on the Scribe then you can look the the logs .... right now recording PrimeTime Shows.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:39 pm

My servio also "always" gets used for live streams... and usually gets used for recording even when I ensure I have larger free space elsewhere (though currently it has the most in the main storage location until I move things to secondary storage locations)

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:48 pm

signcarver wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:39 pm
My servio also "always" gets used for live streams... and usually gets used for recording even when I ensure I have larger free space elsewhere (though currently it has the most in the main storage location until I move things to secondary storage locations)
My scribe Quatro does the same thing always used for Live Streams.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:18 am

Right now buffering to Scribe .....

Model: HDVR-4US-1TB
Device ID: 152035B1
Firmware: 20190715beta1