HDHR Connect and HDHR Scribe DVR issues

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
hunterman

HDHR Connect and HDHR Scribe DVR issues

Post by hunterman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:17 am

I'm encountering several issues that I have been unable to resolve through my own troubleshooting. My equipment is a HDHR Connect Quatro (device ID 10761F1) and a HDHR Quatro (device ID 15203D11).

1. Can't consistently make more than 2 to 3 simultaneous recordings.

2. Despite pairing the HDHR Connect Quatro with the HDHR Scribe Connect, the DVR doesn't appear to be recognizing the HDHR Connect Quatro's 4 tuners. I know this because I've run several tests by setting up 6-7 recordings, both scheduled and non-scheduled. The DVR failed to record them. I, am, however able to fully use all the Connect and Scribe tuners to view live TV on 8 simultaneous feeds.

As part of my troubleshooting, I utilized the HDHR Connect Quatro to record 4 simultaneous programs to Windows 7 media center. It consistenly did not fail to record any of the programs.

Love the HDHR ecosystem. Even more if I can get the bugs worked out.
:D

hunterman

Re: HDHR Connect and HDHR Scribe DVR issues

Post by hunterman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:50 am

Is this an issue that would better be responded to via customer support?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:21 am

hunterman wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:50 am
Is this an issue that would better be responded to via customer support?
You can open a trouble ticket if you want to. I don't know if anyone is in the office on weekends so you might not get a reply until Monday either way.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:18 pm

isn't there a max number of recordings you can do at once even if you have more tuners?

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:10 pm

The Scribe I believe only has a 100 NIC so if that is the only DVR you are running and have other tuners you will run into bottlenecks.... one drawback I found out about the Scribe is when I watch LiveTV even from my Prime Tuner it always uses the Scribe for live playback.... even though I have the DVR also running on a Synology NAS with 12TB of space.

Here is what I mean I am watching 2 Cable stations ... and the scribe is streaming both and the NAS is doing nothing with a 1000 NIC.

hunterman

Post by hunterman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks for the explaination. Hope that there is a solution or workaround that someone can provide insight into. Unfortuantely having a difficult time getting a response via the normal channels. Incidentally, I was told by SD that adding a HDHR Connect would increase the number of recordings that could be made by the Scribe.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:23 pm

hunterman wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:21 pm
Thanks for the explaination. Hope that there is a solution or workaround that someone can provide insight into. Unfortuantely having a difficult time getting a response via the normal channels. Incidentally, I was told by SD that adding a HDHR Connect would increase the number of recordings that could be made by the Scribe.
Yes but does the Scribe have the bandwidth ? with only 100NIC to record from extra tuners and serve up livetv ? I feel your pain I had posted about the LIVETV issue a while back but got no response... I want to be able to run LIVETV of the DVR that has the most space.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:42 pm

I see your ticket and I'll answer there as well, but for others who are wondering:

The SERVIO should record up to 6 sources at once, while playing back 4 recordings from its internal drive at the same time. The SCRIBE will do 4 recordings, 4 play backs, at the same time. At the very least, 4 recordings should be a walk in the park for the unit. I'm going to do a practical test right now to verify that the software is indeed defaulting to that, and I'll also dive into your debug data to see if anything else pops up as well.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:39 pm

NedS wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:42 pm
I see your ticket and I'll answer there as well, but for others who are wondering:

The SERVIO should record up to 6 sources at once, while playing back 4 recordings from its internal drive at the same time. The SCRIBE will do 4 recordings, 4 play backs, at the same time. At the very least, 4 recordings should be a walk in the park for the unit. I'm going to do a practical test right now to verify that the software is indeed defaulting to that, and I'll also dive into your debug data to see if anything else pops up as well.
Ned one thing is that by LiveTV defaulting to the Scribe even when not using a scribe tuner you are using double the bandwidth .... writing the buffer then serving the buffer so please have SD look at this.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:19 pm

I decided not to get a scribe as I have 3 quatros and 3 primes in my house already (not all on the same network and I also have a few more tuners from SD and others that currently are not plugged in) so only got a servio to make sure to one for some testing... generally a nic would be full duplex so that 100Mbps is "200Mbps" so what you asked about wouldn't be a concern but without a scribe I never tested if recording internally that it ever puts it on the wire (usually such implementations wouldn't but the record engine may actually do so)

I had thought that nickk stated that the scribe would also do 6 recordings... and such info was on the preorder pages, however part of a post I made was a moderated edited post I had on june 10th that removed the section I asked about if such was a hard implementation or if h.264 and/or sd channels may allow one be able to record more (much good OTA content is SD and now even comes in at 16x9) and the tone I took was a hard 6 which implied to me from the removal that it wasn't a hard 6 and that I was spreading FUD about not having the possibility of more... about 20 days later, nickk stated a scribe would record up to 4.

Since much of OTA is SD, it would be nice to be able to tweak RecordStreamsMax from the web pages but have strong recommendation of keeping it at 4 or below particularly on scribe as one may wish to not have it record but still use the tuners but currently on a Servio that makes little sense since you can't move files there so without recording anything it is just a brick... so far it seems like my servio is "always" the default engine, even when I freed up some extra space and rebooted everything and the NAS had 4TB available)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:02 am

EddieP wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:39 pm
NedS wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Ned one thing is that by LiveTV defaulting to the Scribe even when not using a scribe tuner you are using double the bandwidth .... writing the buffer then serving the buffer so please have SD look at this.
I believe some optimization ideas are being explored for these kinds of situations, but I don't have an eta at the moment.

hunterman

Post by hunterman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:45 am

On multiple occasions yesterday morning around 8:00 a.m. and thru 11:00 a.m. today, I was able to successfully program 4 simultaneous recordings. Subsequently attempted 4 simultaneous recordings, but only one program actually recorded.

Is it possible that the recordings are actually occurring, but I'm just not able to see them?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:06 pm

That is possible... but if the programs were back to back and not on the same channel and I believe it can possibly happen if is recording in progress and then you add the next one on the same channel as it originally didn't know it needed extended time from the same tuner, unless the padding was 0 when the later program starts, it won't record as there won't be a tuner available (there are no late starts unless just set... possibly poking the engine after the end padding might pick the others up in progress (I haven't tried such as my main system already has 14 tuners, it would be hard to not have a tuner available and I also have 4-6 engines running at once if there is an issue of simultaneous recordings on a single engine, it goes to the next.

hunterman

Post by hunterman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Your insight is greatly appreciated.

It's unfortunately looking like I'll have to revert back to using Windows Media Center, which was more reliable. Not sure what I will use when Windows 7 support ends next year. :cry:

hunterman

Post by hunterman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:56 pm

I'm beyond the 30 day window for returning the HDHR scribe. Does anyone know if I can use the Scribe tuners for recording to Windows Media Center