HDHomeRun App Not Working After NVidia Shield Update

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
elanticuado

HDHomeRun App Not Working After NVidia Shield Update

Post by elanticuado » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:48 pm

I have an HDHomeRun Prime 3 unit that has worked flawlessly since I bought it. I use it with an NVidia Shield device to watch Cable TV channels. Last evening, I installed the latest Nvidia Shield / Android update, and it broke the HDHomeRun app. Now when I try to view cable TV via HDHomeRun app, I get "Unable to Play Channel" message.

I tried cold rebooting the NVidia Shield unit but problem persists. Also tried switching from Ethernet to Wifi and adding location services but no luck. I'm guessing the HDHomeRun app needs an update to play nice with the NVidia Shield. Hopefully, the Silicondust tech support folks are aware of this problem and resolve it quickly.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Re: HDHomeRun App Not Working After NVidia Shield Update

Post by leerandall » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:03 pm

There is an update for the HDHR app in the Google Play store right now. Install it.

elanticuado

Post by elanticuado » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:30 pm

Thank you Lee for the prompt reply.

Per your recommendation, I performed the HDHR app update via the Google Play store. After that I rebooted the NVidia Shield device and tried the HDHR app again.

Unfortunately, I get the same "Unable to Play Channel" message. Also, I tried connecting device via Ethernet and WiFi, but the problem persists.

Just for grins, I tried the "Live Channels" app on the NVidia Shield device -- and it works perfectly fine. I can view my Xfinity cable TV channels.

I tried the HDHR app (latest update) on my Windows 8.1 PC, MacBook Pro, and iPad -- and in every case the HDHR app is "broken". Interestingly, the HDHR prime device works fine with Windows Media Center on my Windows PC, i.e., I can view cable tv channels.

So, seems that the HDHR app needs much more software development and testing.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:57 pm

elanticuado wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:30 pm
Thank you Lee for the prompt reply.

Per your recommendation, I performed the HDHR app update via the Google Play store. After that I rebooted the NVidia Shield device and tried the HDHR app again.

Unfortunately, I get the same "Unable to Play Channel" message. Also, I tried connecting device via Ethernet and WiFi, but the problem persists.

Just for grins, I tried the "Live Channels" app on the NVidia Shield device -- and it works perfectly fine. I can view my Xfinity cable TV channels.

I tried the HDHR app (latest update) on my Windows 8.1 PC, MacBook Pro, and iPad -- and in every case the HDHR app is "broken". Interestingly, the HDHR prime device works fine with Windows Media Center on my Windows PC, i.e., I can view cable tv channels.

So, seems that the HDHR app needs much more software development and testing.
What is the Device ID printed on the bottom of your HDHomeRun unit?

elanticuado

Post by elanticuado » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 pm

Hello:

The HDHR Prime 3 unit has Device ID# 13126279

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:59 pm

You have a Windows PC that has the HDHomeRun DVR software running on it, and even without a DVR subscription the software will use the PC as a live TV buffer, load channels from there, and a few other things. Easiest thing to do is to just disable the DVR software and see if that resolves the issue:

On the PC: open the HDHomeRun Setup application, click on the "DVR" tab, disable "use this PC for recordings", and click "apply"

elanticuado

Post by elanticuado » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:54 am

Per your instructions, I opened the HDHR setup application on my PC, then unchecked the "use this PC for recordings", and clicked "apply". Then rebooted PC, then double checked that recording option was disabled (it was), and then tried the viewing TV on HDHR app.

Now the HDHR app screen comes up and I see the initialization information:

08/02/2019
platform: qt
using external api
Probing 1 device(s)
found 1 device
13126279 HDHomeRun Prime.

That's as far as it gets -- no TV, but on the upside, no longer seeing "Unable to Play Channel" message.

I tried the HDHR app on the iPad and Nvidia Shield, as well, and in both cases the app produces a blank screen.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:29 pm

Run a channel scan on the device and then check the app again.

elanticuado

Post by elanticuado » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Per your suggestion, I ran a channel re-scan (on my Windows PC), and then tried the HDHR app each of my devices. Here are the results:

(1) iPad -- HDHR app works PERFECTLY now.
(2) MacBook Pro -- app works PERFECTLY now.
(3) NVidia Shield -- app works PERFECTLY, but had to cold reboot of device.
(4) Windows PC 8.1 -- app works for a small subset of my cable channels; but for most HD channels, I have sound but screen is frozen on previous displayed channel.

THANK YOU!!!! --- Jason

elanticuado

Post by elanticuado » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 pm

I installed VLC on my Window PC 8.1, and now I can view all cable channels using the HDHR app.

All of the issues that I encountered with the HDHR app are now fully resolved.

The app is working perfectly on all my devices and platforms.

Thank you for all your help.

Robert.