W10 Mobile Black Screen & HDHR3-US

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
DanC

W10 Mobile Black Screen & HDHR3-US

Post by DanC » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:35 am

I have a Older HDHR3-US Dual and a Prime HDHR3-CC, both set to ClearQAM (Digital Cable) tuning.

On my Windows 10 Mobile Lumia 1520 (and other models) the app no longer plays video but the guide and other app functions work. I do NOT subscribe to the DVR service (yet).

The startup screen shows it finds both devices.

Troubleshooting reveals the app no longer connects to the HDHR3-US Dual but works fine with the prime:

Unplugged Prime, Leaving just the HDHR3-US connected. Launched app:
Windows 10 Mobile: Black screen and no Tuner Active LED on the device
Windows 10 Desktop: Plays fine, Tuner Active LED Green
iOS 12.4: Plays fine, Tuner Active LED Green

Repeated with just the HDHR3-CC Prime connected. Launched app:
Windows 10 Mobile: Plays fine, Tuner Active LED Green
Windows 10 Desktop: Plays fine, Tuner Active LED Green
iOS 12.4: Plays fine, Tuner Active LED Green

When both are connected, I suspect the app preference of choosing which tuner it starts with is probably the the lower Serial number of the device.

It's been like this for at least a month, or two maybe - perhaps since I installed the latest Software/Firmware release but the old HDHR3-US didn't have an upgrade. I fired up an another Windows 10 Mobile device that's been turned off for a couple months, so it had an older version of the app (don't remember the exact version) and it didn't connected to the HDHR3-US either... I've since updated the app and it still does not work either.

I've turned on "Send Diagnostics" in the app, version 20190611 (1.1.275). Also tried enabling Early Access features, no difference.
Device ID: 103BFDC1

Thanks for any help in advance.

DanC

Re: W10 Mobile Black Screen & HDHR3-US

Post by DanC » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 am

Any feedback SD Team?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:07 pm

DanC wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 am
Any feedback SD Team?
I believe we are trying to hunt down a Windows 10 phone to test with.

DanC

Post by DanC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:05 am

No updates in a while....

How about a software function to pick which tuner gets priority as a new feature?

DanC

Post by DanC » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:29 am

I am still looking for a solution here. Like my original post said, it had worked (and worked great) for a long time. Windows 10 Mobile is dead (from a development perspective) but a working HDHR App on a great device with a large screen is still makes it useful and not e-waste.

Hope someone can figure this out. Thanks

(Send Diag is still enabled in the app)

DanC

Post by DanC » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:31 am

Monthly 'Bump' post. I also submitted a ticket from the web site as well but got no acknowledgement it was received.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:46 am

This appears to be the result of a Windows Update. Unfortunately, all the Windows 10 phones we have access to have had development support ended by Microsoft and they are no longer receiving updates, so we have no way to investigate the issue to determine what specifically broke it. Additionally, Microsoft is ending the life of the Windows 10 Mobile platform in December and will be shutting down many of the backend services the devices rely on, so our only option at this point is to discontinue support for the Windows 10 Mobile platform. This is as frustrating for us as it is for you as we put in a lot of work to make the app function on that platform, but at least we got a couple years out of it. We would recommend migrating to Android or iOS, which will continue to receive support.

DanC

Post by DanC » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:14 pm

Yea, its a shame. Even when it goes EOL the device could still be usable. A pair of 6" Lumia 1520s seem to be a waste.

Still its JUST the legacy HDHR3-US, the 3-CC works fine. Maybe you can add a feature to the app to prioritize which device is selected fist when it looks for a tuner. That would maintain its usefulness for me and maybe a couple other people out there.

Question about the app backend services thought - since its a UWP app for both PC and Mobile, are you saying you maintain separate services for both? Id assume they are the same and the W10M should work as long as the PC app still works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the reply and the continued support.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Not DanC from Kent by any chance?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:02 am

Referring to Microsoft's services for Win 10 Mobile. They're shutting down device backups first and will later end photo uploads and other things like that which are specific to Windows Phone devices. Anything that relies on a Microsoft server.