tuners not being released.

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
SpencerC

tuners not being released.

Post by SpencerC » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Running Win10 and using dual monitors. I typically use VLC to open a second channel on the 2nd monitor. This allows me to keep an eye on the baseball game while watching a TV show. Today I got an error that VLC couldn't open the channel. So I opened the tuner status and saw all the tuners were in use. But I only had one tuner in use for the TV show I was watching. I checked to see if any recordings were going for the other 2 channels that were in use. And nothing was being recorded from what I could tell. One of the tuners was tuned to the channel for the baseball game and I never record the games. The other was tuned to a channel that I record another show on but I looked into my recordings and didn't see what was currently being shown. So 2 of my tuners were busy with nothing. Rebooting the computer didn't help. I have no other devices that access the Prime.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Spencer

gtb
Expert

Re: tuners not being released.

Post by gtb » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:41 pm

SpencerC wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:10 pm
Any ideas?
Check the device web pages on the specific tuner for the resource lock to see what the client it is streaming too (generally also available in the system logs). Some apps on some platforms may choose to run in the background even if they do not have focus. And that means they are using a tuner (and if someone was doing a manual channel scan (up, up, up, up, up looking for something interesting) they might have stopped on a channel which now has baseball playing).

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:50 pm

gtb wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:41 pm
SpencerC wrote:
Any ideas?
Check the device web pages on the specific tuner for the resource lock to see what the client it is streaming too (generally also available in the system logs). Some apps on some platforms may choose to run in the background even if they do not have focus. And that means they are using a tuner (and if someone was doing a manual channel scan (up, up, up, up, up looking for something interesting) they might have stopped on a channel which now has baseball playing).
It is just me and my wife in the house and the only device that is configured to access the Prime is my computer which she doesn't use as she has her own. Even right now, I've got 2 tuners in use and the only app that is open is the HDHomeRun app on my computer. Both tuned to channel 720, the baseball game I am watching. Not sure what to do other than power cycle the Prime.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:10 pm

There is a program called HDMonitor by warpster that, in addition to giving you plenty of information about the status of all of your tuners, will allow you to unlock any locked ones. His post about it is at http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... =60#p90155. However, the link to the program itself doesn't work anymore. If anyone knows of a current link, please post it.

The latest version I know of is 5.8, dated 9/10/2016. It supports all HDHRs up to 4th gen at least; I don't know about later ones.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Can you tell me your device ID?

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:49 pm

SpencerC wrote:
Running Win10 and using dual monitors. I typically use VLC to open a second channel on the 2nd monitor. This allows me to keep an eye on the baseball game while watching a TV show. Today I got an error that VLC couldn't open the channel. So I opened the tuner status and saw all the tuners were in use. But I only had one tuner in use for the TV show I was watching. I checked to see if any recordings were going for the other 2 channels that were in use. And nothing was being recorded from what I could tell. One of the tuners was tuned to the channel for the baseball game and I never record the games. The other was tuned to a channel that I record another show on but I looked into my recordings and didn't see what was currently being shown. So 2 of my tuners were busy with nothing. Rebooting the computer didn't help. I have no other devices that access the Prime.
I also occasionally discover this. I currently have a HDHR5-4DT (Quattro) but have also had this issue with a previous HDHR4-2DT and older models. Rebooting the entire tuner solves the problem. I mainly use Windows Media Centre 7.

I just had it happen again tonight and it caused a recording to fail. It was set to record three programs on two channels with two of the programs overlapping. As apparently three out of four tuners were 'busy' this meant it failed to record one of the programs. Fortunately I happened to be watching them live on another TV. (Not via the HDHomeRun.)

There is clearly a bug here. I will try and remember to check Tuner Status next time. However it would help if there was a feature to reset an individual tuner i.e. to forcible free it up.