Fire TV 4K HDHomeRun app issues

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
goofnroxx

Re: Fire TV 4K HDHomeRun app issues

Post by goofnroxx » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:04 am

gtb wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:36 am
nickk wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 am
The top is the Nvidia Shield - great picture quality
Well, except for the VPU bug that impacts some people with some specific (OTA) stations. I saw one report the VPU bug is fixed in Turing (I have no way to test that report).
That, and you buy almost 8 4k sticks for the price of one shield on Prime Day.

konrad999

Post by konrad999 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:57 am

I can confirm that the latest 4k sticks (you can still get refurb units for 25 bucks) works great. The latest 4k stick does NOT show interlacing, and the channel menu is quick without killing your live feed like the new 1080p stick does.
Is a huge difference between the 4k and the 1080p one

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:12 pm

One thing I noticed when using Passthrough in the Shield there is always an annoying delay before the sound starts playing on my Polk soundbar using both Optical or Arc also happens when I skip through commercials. The FireTV 4K does not have this problem at all. So I find myself using the FireTV 4K more than the Shield lately.

dartrunner

Post by dartrunner » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:06 pm

What did you guys do to fix this exactly? I just bought 2 Firestick 4k's on Prime Day and have a problem with the audio studdering or being several seconds out of sync on the HDHR app. Plays fine in Plex, but a pain finding what you want in Plex. Never had an issue with the original Firestick once I started a channel, just the Amazon UI ran very slow on it and Kodi crashed on it. I think I selected audio passthru when it asked, but can't find where to change it. The Firestick is connected to my receiver and not directly to my TV.

Thanks,
Bob

(Edit) I do notice that it seems to get really off when commercials play that are different from the show I'm watching, especially if it is an SD commercial.

grumpygramp

Post by grumpygramp » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:12 pm

My new UI is also very sluggish on my 4K firestick; I have the latest firestick. The new UI is sluggish on all the tabs and especially in live TV. The old UI worked much faster for me.

evilito

Post by evilito » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:27 pm

I have the same issue as you are having on a FireTV 4K pendant model, thought the fireTV was having issues but my 2 FireTV 2nd gens don't have this issue. All my FireTVs are ethernet connected. Also subscribed to FiosTV using an HDHomeRunPrime, and what you described on WRC-TV (channel 4 and 504) happens to me, Rebooted updated firmware on FireTV and hesitant but did my Prime also. Issue persists. Checked my PC to make sure and plays fine after having to crash the app on a black screen. Watching this tread in case there is a fix, but it's totally unwatchable, video lag, sound sync issues, pausing is a terrible way to watch tv.

konrad999

Post by konrad999 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Guys, I have several firetv's (pendant, cube, old sticks, and the original square one) and all work poorly with HDHR.
But using my NEW firestick 4k is like night and day.
The one thing to do on the new 4k stick is to disable audio pass-through by clicking play on the firestick remote 13 times while watching live TV and disable audio pt.
The new 4k stick is the only one that does not show interlace, so I think the processor on it is doing all the work to make it work better.

Puzzled

Post by Puzzled » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:27 am

Hi, just signed up after reading this thread.

I bought a 4k Fire Stick the other day to replace my Fire TV (Gen 2 Box) for x265 / 4k support but I can't get it to work with UK HD Freeview channels on my HDHomerun Connect Duo in either the HDHomerun app or Plex. In both live tv just freezes the picture after a few seconds while audio keeps on playing, I then have to exit and force close the app or in some cases reset the stick before I can use it again (SD channels appear to work but I rarely watch them).

I can watch all recorded TV in plex fine and can happily stream large video files over the wifi so I don't think it is a connectivity issue. I can also still watch the HD Freeview channels on my older Fire TV (Gen 2 Box) in both apps but was hoping to switch as read the 4k stick can handle interlaced content.

Is this a known issue or do we have any UK users using the 4k Fire Stick with success?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:27 pm

The issues with MPEG2 and some H.264 decoding were fixed as part of the FireOS 6.2.6.4 update that came out at the end of June. There are still apparently some other issues with other H.264 video formats that Amazon has acknowledged, and this apparently includes the UK HD channels.

Puzzled

Post by Puzzled » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:20 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:27 pm
The issues with MPEG2 and some H.264 decoding were fixed as part of the FireOS 6.2.6.4 update that came out at the end of June. There are still apparently some other issues with other H.264 video formats that Amazon has acknowledged, and this apparently includes the UK HD channels.
Thanks for the response.

I've noticed a slight improvement since the app update on the 1st August but still not usable as it will always freeze at some point (usually in under a minute). One thing I did notice was that I was able to watch BBC1 HD (101) and Channel 4 HD (104) the other night without issue but only while they were playing films. As soon as the film stopped for an ad break or after the film ended and the program changed it would freeze, happened on both channels at different times.

I can only assume that it was down to the audio as the films were aired with 5.1 surround while normal programming airs with AAC_LATM Stereo (App has AC3 passthrough turned off).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:42 pm

I don't believe it's an audio issue, as that would be seen on other devices, and we haven't had any reports of issues with that recently, and there are enough HDHomeRun users in the UK that we would know if there was a problem. As I understand it, the way the HD channels are transmitted in the UK is that the main program content is fed nationally, but then each region splices in its own inserts so the ads and promos are relevant to them. BBC viewers in London will see promos for the BBC London News, while Manchester viewers will see promos for the North West, and so on. It's quite likely that those inserts are encoded differently from the main program, both for audio and video, and so it's entirely possible that you will run into some programming that works properly on the 4K Stick and some that doesn't, even within the same channel.

HTPC.DVR

Post by HTPC.DVR » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:52 pm

evilito wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:27 pm
I have the same issue as you are having on a FireTV 4K pendant model, thought the fireTV was having issues but my 2 FireTV 2nd gens don't have this issue. All my FireTVs are ethernet connected. Also subscribed to FiosTV using an HDHomeRunPrime, and what you described on WRC-TV (channel 4 and 504) happens to me, Rebooted updated firmware on FireTV and hesitant but did my Prime also. Issue persists. Checked my PC to make sure and plays fine after having to crash the app on a black screen. Watching this tread in case there is a fix, but it's totally unwatchable, video lag, sound sync issues, pausing is a terrible way to watch tv.
Having the same issue with the new FireTV 4K (model E9L29Y), no issues with the older FireTV model (non-4k, model LY73PR).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:32 pm

Have you disabled AC3 passthrough?

HTPC.DVR

Post by HTPC.DVR » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:59 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:32 pm
Have you disabled AC3 passthrough?
No, I had not disabled the AC3 passthrough.

Problem solved after disabling it.

cgibbs

Post by cgibbs » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 am

Both my fire tv stick and the newest cube TV with Alexa have problems with the app. Audio out of sync, black channels, and even not loading the guide result in me restarting the devices to restore partial functionality. In our home theater I was running an xbox one with no streaming problems. I replaced that yesterday with the cube and Im back to the horrid connectivity that I get with the 4K stick in our family room. I came to the forum looking for answers because it definitely seems to be a problem specific to the amazon app. Any plans on updating or releasing a better app for the amazon devices?