Why switch from Media Center to SD DVR?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
barnabas1969

Why switch from Media Center to SD DVR?

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:32 am

Please give me compelling reasons to switch from Windows 7 Media Center to the Silicondust DVR.

(besides the obvious fact that Windows 7 is no longer support/updated by Microsoft, and the security implications of this fact)

(Oh, and please do not complain about inaccurate Guide data in Windows 7 Media Center... because there are other providers of guide data that can be incorporated into Windows 7 Media Center)

Basically, I am asking "Why should I switch?"... Is there something BETTER in the Silicondust DVR?

Note: My Media Center PC is highly customized. I have changed the color scheme in Media Center. I have installed programs that give me better Guide data (My Channel Logos), and programs that change the user experience when looking for recorded programs (Recorded TV HD).

I also use commercial-skipping software (ShowAnalyzer), and I use automation software (EventGhost) to trigger actions based on events on my HTPC... such as dimming the lights in the room when the PLAY button is pressed.

Can I do all of these things in the Silicondust DVR/VIEW application?

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Why switch from Media Center to SD DVR?

Post by foxbat121 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:49 am

[removed by moderator]

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:52 am

If I don't receive satisfactory answers to my questions, I will probably switch to a T I V O system.

My Media Center system has some limitations. But, I don't see how the Silicondust DVR will do anything better than my current system.

First: Your "View" application needs to be able to be controlled from an MCE IR remote control.

Second: You MUST support the recording and playback of DRM content. Otherwise, why would I pay for your annual subscription???

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:58 am

[removed by moderator]

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:08 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:52 am
If I don't receive satisfactory answers to my questions, I will probably switch to a T I V O system.

My Media Center system has some limitations. But, I don't see how the Silicondust DVR will do anything better than my current system.

First: Your "View" application needs to be able to be controlled from an MCE IR remote control.

Second: You MUST support the recording and playback of DRM content. Otherwise, why would I pay for your annual subscription???
MCE IR remotes do work on HDHR DVR. HDHR View is a very old application that runs on Win7 the newer application that runs on Win10 and Xbox One does work with remotes.

DRM is not available yet, but is supposed to be available by the end of the year.

I started using WMC back when it started as an expansion for XP. We used it on Vista, Win7 and Win8. The reason we made the switch was that our old Core2 Duo WMC computer was dying and we had to make a decision. Build a new system for WMC and continuing using my failing Xbox 360 extenders or try a new system.

I already had a prime and picked up another for $50. For me it was do we invest in new hardware to continue using an old unsupported system or use the new system that is supposed to will continue to be developed. Other contributing factors are the number of ecosystems you can use the DVR on. WMC works on a PC and Xbox 360. HDHR DVR works on Xbox One, AndroidTV, FireTV, Android, iOS, Win10, Mac and now Roku. Eventually they will support AppleTV as well.

We used to have multiple devices on each TV to combined live and recorded TV with Blu-ray and streaming Apps.

Now we have just one Xbox in our two main viewing rooms and inexpensive AndroidTV devices in secondary locations. The Xbox can also control the TV and the sound bar upstairs so we only need one remote for everything.

Down stairs in our theater we us a harmony hub scenes that control the lights, projector, stereo, projector screen and Xbox. One again just one remote.

For us it wasn’t just about HDHR or WMC, but the system as a whole.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:08 pm

GetMatt wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:08 pm
barnabas1969 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:52 am

MCE IR remotes do work on HDHR DVR. HDHR View is a very old application that runs on Win7 the newer application that runs on Win10 and Xbox One does work with remotes.

DRM is not available yet, but is supposed to be available by the end of the year.

I started using WMC back when it started as an expansion for XP. We used it on Vista, Win7 and Win8. The reason we made the switch was that our old Core2 Duo WMC computer was dying and we had to make a decision. Build a new system for WMC and continuing using my failing Xbox 360 extenders or try a new system.

I already had a prime and picked up another for $50. For me it was do we invest in new hardware to continue using an old unsupported system or use the new system that is supposed to will continue to be developed. Other contributing factors are the number of ecosystems you can use the DVR on. WMC works on a PC and Xbox 360. HDHR DVR works on Xbox One, AndroidTV, FireTV, Android, iOS, Win10, Mac and now Roku. Eventually they will support AppleTV as well.

We used to have multiple devices on each TV to combined live and recorded TV with Blu-ray and streaming Apps.

Now we have just one Xbox in our two main viewing rooms and inexpensive AndroidTV devices in secondary locations. The Xbox can also control the TV and the sound bar upstairs so we only need one remote for everything.

Down stairs in our theater we us a harmony hub scenes that control the lights, projector, stereo, projector screen and Xbox. One again just one remote.

For us it wasn’t just about HDHR or WMC, but the system as a whole.
Thank you for confirming that the MCE remote works with the Win10 app.

Don't get me wrong... I love my HD HomeRun tuners. I have two HDHR-PRIME tuners connected to my network, and a third new-in-box as a spare (just in case). Before I moved to New Hampshire, I also had two HDHR dual OTA tuners (for a total of 10 tuners, including the two PRIME units), but I gave those away when I moved to an apartment (no way to install an OTA antenna outside).
GetMatt wrote:
Yeah... I'll believe it when I see it.
GetMatt wrote:
HDHR DVR works on Xbox One, AndroidTV, FireTV, Android, iOS, Win10, Mac and now Roku. Eventually they will support AppleTV as well.
DRM will only work on Win10 and XBox One. The other clients are nice, but not useful for someone (like me) who wants to stick with Cable TV.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:16 pm

DRM will also work (live currently works) on AndroidTV, android (not all ) and iOS.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi,

With the HDHomeRun DVR you can have any number of tuners, any number of storage devices, and any number of clients devices within your home. No always-on PC required.

Tuners - you can add more tuners at any time, including a mixture of different types of tuners (I run CableCARD and ATSC tuners at home).

Storage - you can increase your storage at any time. The just-release HDHomeRun SERVIO adds 2TB of recording space with zero setup or configuration required. You can add as many was you want and/or use a NAS, a PC, a Mac, or an Android box for expanding storage.

Clients - you can use any Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 tablet, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Android TV, Fire TV, or XBox One to watch live TV, watch recordings, and/or schedule TV. Live TV on modern Roku devices.

Everything works together to give you a whole home experience.

Nick

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:25 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:08 pm
GetMatt wrote:
HDHR DVR works on Xbox One, AndroidTV, FireTV, Android, iOS, Win10, Mac and now Roku. Eventually they will support AppleTV as well.
DRM will only work on Win10 and XBox One. The other clients are nice, but not useful for someone (like me) who wants to stick with Cable TV.
DRM works on Win10, Xbox, AndroidTV, Android and iOS.

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:36 pm

WMC works a lot better if you ask me. The only issue is you need to use a computer and that's the biggest problem. You cannot recoord drm channels with SD DVR.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:25 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:32 am
Basically, I am asking "Why should I switch?"
If you have to ask that question - the answer is: you shouldn't.

WMC also works on Win 10, but you have to leap through a few flaming hoops and apart from being slightly singed when the event is complete you end up with a working WMC you can go on using until one day it stops working (until somebody comes up with another work-around... probably. People keep saying it's dead, but I can see it's still warm and breathing).

If all you need is OTA HDHR services and equipment are just the ticket.
If you need to record DRM - you better hang on to what you have until SD can provide what you need - and yes, buying equipment or services on 'promises' results in disappointment... always.

If you're thinking about buying a new car, don't get out of the old one until you get to the new car lot - or you'll be walking.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:09 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:32 am
Please give me compelling reasons to switch from Windows 7 Media Center to the Silicondust DVR.

(besides the obvious fact that Windows 7 is no longer support/updated by Microsoft, and the security implications of this fact)

(Oh, and please do not complain about inaccurate Guide data in Windows 7 Media Center... because there are other providers of guide data that can be incorporated into Windows 7 Media Center)

Basically, I am asking "Why should I switch?"... Is there something BETTER in the Silicondust DVR?

Note: My Media Center PC is highly customized. I have changed the color scheme in Media Center. I have installed programs that give me better Guide data (My Channel Logos), and programs that change the user experience when looking for recorded programs (Recorded TV HD).

I also use commercial-skipping software (ShowAnalyzer), and I use automation software (EventGhost) to trigger actions based on events on my HTPC... such as dimming the lights in the room when the PLAY button is pressed.

Can I do all of these things in the Silicondust DVR/VIEW application?

MC is a platform. SD is an app. Some of the the advantages of switching over reside in whatever platform you wish to adopt. I chose android TV. There is no apples to apples comparison of MC vs SD so if you're simply trying to find MC part 2 then this isn't it. Also, most of the features of MC you mentioned were shoehorned in by fans long after its conception. Those weren't "out of the box" features.

My point being is that you are asking if SD can do stuff that MC couldn't really do in the first place. You may have to start with a clean slate on something as MC is looooong in the tooth.

Centralized recording, HDMI-CEC, and low power setup are a few things that I gained by switching.

3579mike777

Post by 3579mike777 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:58 am

I like WMC better than SD DVR. But I do like the fact that my android box, external 4tb drive and a couple of USB fans only draws between 12 and 15 watts, even with the app and box never sleeping.

I'm going to try WMC for Windows 10 and see how that works. Advantages with WMC are the computer can go to sleep between uses and I also like the fact you can add more storage drives and keep all your old recordings.

BTW, you can still get a free upgrade to Windows 10 if you are using Windows 7. You will probably need to "upgrade" your Windows 7 install first, but after that you can clean install if you prefer. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the upgrade to my Windows 7 computer went, so I kept it.

Update: tried to install WMC on two different Windows 10 computers. No luck.
Last edited by 3579mike777 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Post by GGRussell » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:30 am

Although I still miss WMC grid guide, there were many things I didn't like. For example, the recorded file format is proprietary. With HDHomeRun DVR , I can just copy the recorded file to USB drive and my sister can just plug it into her HDTV USB port and it works. With WMC even the extenders were difficult to find. XBox 360 or 2 other brands which are no longer in production. With HDHomeRun, there are many choices. HDHomeRun may not be 'perfect' for some users, but it works 95% of the time for me. Occasionally, I have WIFI issues in the sunroom, but turning the android box on/off usually fixes that.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:34 pm

One advantage that SD is supposed to have is recording the buffer. I don't know how adventageous such a feature would be in 2019 but it has been discussed by the SD team, but has yet to matarialize or drive further discussion.