kind of off topic -- USB streaming stick suggestions

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

kind of off topic -- USB streaming stick suggestions

Post by GGRussell » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:59 pm

I have a small 24" HDTV in the kitchen I would like to stream my HDHomeRun. Unfortunately, I have limited power outlets. Doing a short search, it appears even the USB streaming sticks require external power. Is that true for all of them? It does have USB port so suppose I could use one of those USB to micro power cords.

Not looking to spend a lot. Pro and cons: Fire Stick, Roku or generic Android stick. No DRM issues here. Just want to watch my local news while eating dinner. :D

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Re: kind of off topic -- USB streaming stick suggestions

Post by clarkss12 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:52 pm

If I am not mistaken, then your TV's USB port should supply .5 amp at 5 volt. 5 years ago, all you had on the market were "sticks", and made to plug into your TV's USB port. Today, they are a little harder to find. I have 2 sticks in my desk drawer.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... _new_app=y

Edit: Guess I miss spoke, looking at the specs, these "sticks" need more power than your TV can give it. I must have been thinking about casting devices, they DO plug into your TV.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:24 pm

The Electrician in me has to ask - where are you plugging the TV in? A Rube Goldberg Super Plug Multiplier and Spark Generator won't work in there somewhere?
https://www.amazon.com/Ideaworks-Outlet ... B00IU2B9NM

At one time Roku offered a stick that ran off an MDL port and got power there. It was awful, but if you don't have an MDL port on that TV you won't have to find out how awful.

A kitchen would be the last place I would expect not to find ample places to plug something in, but you could install a Roku 'something or other' on the side of the toaster with some duct tape and run an HDMI cable/extension over to the TV (with more duct tape).

lol

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Post by GGRussell » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:01 pm

ACraigo wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:24 pm
The Electrician in me has to ask - where are you plugging the TV in? A Rube Goldberg Super Plug Multiplier and Spark Generator won't work in there somewhere?
Only one outlet near TV and too many kitchen 'gadgets'. Even the multiplier may not help. Old 1950s house - I would be afraid to use one. :lol:

I ran across a USB to micro power cable for Roku USB stick or Fire Stick on Amazon by accident. I really don't care for the UI on any of these but since I will only be running HdHomeRun, I suppose it doesn't really matter. Will the Roku Express work with HDHomeRun?

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:04 am

GGRussell wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:01 pm
Only one outlet near TV and too many kitchen 'gadgets'. Even the multiplier may not help. Old 1950s house - I would be afraid to use one. :lol:

I ran across a USB to micro power cable for Roku USB stick or Fire Stick on Amazon by accident. I really don't care for the UI on any of these but since I will only be running HdHomeRun, I suppose it doesn't really matter. Will the Roku Express work with HDHomeRun?
The most important thing with old work is DON'T OPEN UP THE BOX! The wires inside will likely crumble and then you've done it...

Having said that the next most important thing is a ground - you probably don't have, UNLESS the box is metal and is actually ground. If that is the case the plug multiplier with the little flange can be attached under the plate screw to catch the ground and the Plug Multiplier would actually be safer than the original equipment - if you can believe it.

Anyway, multiplying for a wall wart isn't the worst thing that can happen. Just don't plug in that 10 thousand watt T-Fal Counter Grill or you'll be roasting more than pork chops.

Don't know a thing about the Express. I know my Ultra kinda works with the HD Roku App. Usually fails once then a retry goes on for a while. Could very well be my local OTA. That lightning strike to the transmitter 5 years ago didn't do it any good.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:56 am

Modern TVs often have a dedicated USB port to power external devices. For example, my 40" Samsung TV has a port labeled 5v 1A and the other port labeled 5v 0.5A. Stream sticks that require wifi connections typically needs more power than 0.5A to operate properly. For your purpose, the only stick that meets your need is Fire TV stick. So, go read up the spec on that stick.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:37 pm

I wouldn't be worried about using some sort of multi-outlet thing as long as it's only being used for the TV and stick. A 24" TV is probably going to draw 40W or less, then maybe 5W for the stick. A toaster or waffle iron is going to use more like 1000W, so if you're OK with using those on a plug then a TV+stick is a small fraction of that. Plugging in multiple high draw devices would be where you would run into an issue, so don't do that.