Remove channels from DVR

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Griffo

Remove channels from DVR

Post by Griffo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:53 pm

I'm sure i'm missing something obvious, but how do you delete / disable / remove channels that the DVR service detects?
It seems to ignore the "disable" function on the HDHR's web interface.

My problem is that because of where I live it detects 76 channels (we have about 20) most of which are duplicates.
Using the HDHR client on my Sony Android TV these all show up. How do I remove them?

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Re: Remove channels from DVR

Post by GGRussell » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:11 pm

If you have more than one Tuner, you need to disable same channels on both. For example, I have two Prime cable card tuners. I had to go in the web interface on both and disable the same channels on both. Did you do a channel scan after disabling?

Griffo

Post by Griffo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks for your assistance.

I've only got a single quad tuner. I've "rescanned" on the DVR since disabling on the HDHR. Most (but not all) channels still show up in the DVR.

For example, i've disabled all channels between 50 - 70 but they show up in the DVR.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:53 pm

You may need to wait a while or wipe out the cache for the app (some devices keep stale data for quite awhile)... as a separate issue if you have the dvr, it can take up to two hours to sync with the latest lineup of the tuners (SD's dvr engine retrieves the lineup.json from the tuners, and gets its orders from SD's servers which uses the list provided by the tuner) Your "setup" photo has nothing* to do with any scan from windows and what is listed there when it comes to the dvr. If you have a legacy tuner also on the network, any of those channels picked up by a windows scan can't be disabled.

If you only have modern tuners, there is no need to scan with setup on the windows machine as everything can be done "on" the modern tuner's lineup page. The setup app is only needed for legacy apps, and to setup the dvr on windows (though also offers nas install from there)

Edit: In rereading your post, I may be misunderstanding though the above information will provide your answer as that channel list has nothing to do with the DVR and I was referring to what may be displayed on the client. and by setup the dvr I am only referring to what is on the DVR tab... the other tabs aren't concerned with the DVR though one can initiate a scan from the other tabs, that list presented there isn't for the dvr as the dvr uses the one from the tuner (it gets it's lineup.json)

* probably should have said "only" to do with the windows scan, not nothing, but was trying to convey nothing to do with dvr

Griffo

Post by Griffo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Hmm interesting information. But something doesn't gel for me.

For information, I only have "modern" devices as far as I understand it. My setup is Android devices, the HDHR Quatro, and DVR running on Windows. I've only just started playing with the DVR.

I ran into a problem earlier this week when I had installed the DVR service but not configured it. When I ran the Android client, it would show a list of channels. But whenever I selected one, it would simply display "Channel not found".

Stopping the DVR service fixed the issue. So the DVR service definitely seems to affect the Android clients ability to stream channels.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:17 am

If a client finds a dvr engine, it uses it to request the tuning, that way one has (better) trick play options. (though the client gets the channel list from the tuners)

After a scan (or other changes in lineup, such as disabling, it can take up to 2 hours for the DVR engine to detect changes in the lineup (unless restarted... though it checks every hour, for some reason it may take longer to respond)... it also must have a valid path to write to (usually not an issue on windows if recording to an internal drive).

Supposedly the latest release also allows use if not subscribed (for live tv buffer and previous content recorded by it) but in the past it has been an issue that the dvr wouldn't work (at all) if it couldn't authenticate your subscription but occasionally was still detected thus also producing that error.

Typically for that error, the most common reason is probably not synced with the lineup, followed by improper record path (can't write to path for some reason), followed by not able to reach the tuner (occasionally subnet masks may be off that a client can see both an engine and a tuner but the engine can't see the tuner). There have also been issues with multiple nics, particularly if overlapping subnets and choosing the wrong interface (but I believe that was mostly fixed, though haven't tried when nics overlapped subnets in awhile) as well as address/port changes between when the client starts and when one tries to view.