Launch HDHomeRun from keyboard hotkey on Windows

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
serow

Launch HDHomeRun from keyboard hotkey on Windows

Post by serow » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:23 pm

I have a computer with wireless keyboard connected to a projector instead of a TV. I would like to program one of my keyboard's fancy media keys to launch the HDHomeRun windows app. I can specify path, arguments, the usual things.

I can see the hdhomerun_setup.exe (and some others) in C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun

However there is no exe file for the viewer program itself, and the Start Menu shortcut created by setup doesn't seem to actually exist outside the Start Menu. There is no .lnk file I can find to try starting with shellexecute, and the actual process is an instance of RuntimeBroker.exe with no more information about it.

So, is it possible to launch the HDHomeRun windows viewer program with a command line that I can put into the keyboard software?

If not, where should I start looking for a third-party app for live TV that has a guide (like HDHomeRun)?
I have Plex on my NAS but it's very slow compared to the HDHomeRun app or VLC. I don't need (or want) DVR, but the guide or at least a channel picker is required.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Launch HDHomeRun from keyboard hotkey on Windows

Post by signcarver » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:33 pm

My suggestion is to look up how to do such with (other) windows store apps... typically one sets up a shortcut and assigns a hotkey (shortcut key).

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Re: Launch HDHomeRun from keyboard hotkey on Windows

Post by Thunderthud » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:18 am

What I've done to be able to start HDHomeRun from the keyboard is to first create a desktop shortcut (by pinning HDHomeRun to the Start Menu and dragging it onto the desktop).
Then, right click on the desktop shortcut and go to "Properties" and in the box called "Shortcut Key", click a combination of "Ctrl + Alt + (the key you want to press)".
I don't know if it will work with a non-standard keyboard key directly, but if not...
If your keyboard's software allows you to assign key combinations to the special key you want to use, you may be able to redirect it the the "Crl-Alt + a key that does work" combination to accomplish your goal. Hope this makes sense.