A list of 50 Inch Smart TV's that support HDHomerun would be great !!!!

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
rrussis82

Re: A list of 50 Inch Smart TV's that support HDHomerun would be great !!!!

Post by rrussis82 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 am

RF2016 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 pm
rrussis82 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:47 pm
RF2016 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:31 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the info you are providing me.

I have been looking at the brands you have spoken of, but not sure if they support DRM, or even support HDhomerun view, even though they say Android TV's

Skyworth? I never heard of that brand...

Hisense, I am cautious of, as I am not familiar with it quality / reliability.

I have been looking at the Phillips at BJ's for $299 and it has Android 8.1

But also not sure if it support DRM either..

This is the model

Phillips
https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/55PFL57 ... ifications

BJ's
https://www.bjs.com/product/philips-55p ... 0001509747

Surprisingly it supports bluetooth...no relevance to HD Homerun though.

On the DRM, there are a few channels we like that we cannot get on the Android boxes we have, the other TV is connected to a Verizon FIOS box.

In what you have mentioned about a New Google Shield I heard / read 5-6 months ago about the same thing.....there must be something to the news on it..
Google doesn't make the Shield, Nvidia does. Google made nexus but discontinued it. If those TVs run "AndroidTV" they will work with DRM. AndroidTV (one word) has the HDHomerun APP and support DRM. AndroidTV is different than Android TV Box which usually refers to Chinese boxes that run the tablet version of Android and not AndroidTV. Android TV Boxes (not AndroidTV) that run Android typically will not support DRM due to not being designed to run on HDMI and not having a proper Google Play Store ((Google owns Android) no Google Play means not certified).

Usually name brands will have certified AndroidTV so I think it's safe to say it will work with that TV (Also States has Google Play Store)

Ah, Thank you for correcting me on the Shield, and who makes it.

So my understanding from what you have mentioned on the DRM, and AndroidTV's, is that any SmartTV that has Anndroid as the OS, will support DRM.

I had a long learning lesson over the last few years with my Android TV boxes and Windvine Level 1 and Level 3, what a pain!

You have eased my mind in hunting down an Android Smart TV, and the DRM aspects,
And it is much appreciated !!!

It helps me to know what specific brands to look for also.....

Thank You
My hunting continues on what model/ brand....

:)
FYI, the DRM you mentioned via Windvine is not the same DRM as cable TV DRM. Just because a box supports windvine doesn't mean it will support DRM viewing from your cablecard.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 am

Purchased the 43" last week to replace an older 32" in one of the bedrooms. Awesome, pic........ Great implementation of Android.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Mdd6RopUw&t=87s

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 am
RF2016 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 pm
rrussis82 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Google doesn't make the Shield, Nvidia does. Google made nexus but discontinued it. If those TVs run "AndroidTV" they will work with DRM. AndroidTV (one word) has the HDHomerun APP and support DRM. AndroidTV is different than Android TV Box which usually refers to Chinese boxes that run the tablet version of Android and not AndroidTV. Android TV Boxes (not AndroidTV) that run Android typically will not support DRM due to not being designed to run on HDMI and not having a proper Google Play Store ((Google owns Android) no Google Play means not certified).

Usually name brands will have certified AndroidTV so I think it's safe to say it will work with that TV (Also States has Google Play Store)

Ah, Thank you for correcting me on the Shield, and who makes it.

So my understanding from what you have mentioned on the DRM, and AndroidTV's, is that any SmartTV that has Anndroid as the OS, will support DRM.

I had a long learning lesson over the last few years with my Android TV boxes and Windvine Level 1 and Level 3, what a pain!

You have eased my mind in hunting down an Android Smart TV, and the DRM aspects,
And it is much appreciated !!!

It helps me to know what specific brands to look for also.....

Thank You
My hunting continues on what model/ brand....

:)
FYI, the DRM you mentioned via Windvine is not the same DRM as cable TV DRM. Just because a box supports windvine doesn't mean it will support DRM viewing from your cablecard.

Thats odd, because the box I had purchased from Wamart, ( Jetstream) worked, playing DRM protected channels, I had returned it because it was a slow box...

Form my understanding is there is Windvine Level 1 and Level 3, Level 3 will not play DRM TV Channels, Level 1 does.....

So what is the other Windvine Level you are speaking of?

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:04 pm

clarkss12 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 am
Purchased the 43" last week to replace an older 32" in one of the bedrooms. Awesome, pic........ Great implementation of Android.

THis is the series I have been looking at, and it is sold a BJ's.....I was looking at the 50 or 55 inch..
Are you able to use HDhomerun, and view DRM channels?

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:34 pm

RF2016 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:04 pm
clarkss12 wrote:

THis is the series I have been looking at, and it is sold a BJ's.....I was looking at the 50 or 55 inch..
I don't have DRM'd Channels to test.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:42 am

clarkss12 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:34 pm
RF2016 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:04 pm
clarkss12 wrote:

I don't have DRM'd Channels to test.

Have you installed the HDhomerun View app on the TV?
If so, is it operating well?

Thank You

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:39 am

[/quote]

Thank You
[/quote]

I show the operation of the HDHomeRun View app at time 6:29 on my video.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 am

clarkss12 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:39 am

Thank You
[/quote]

I show the operation of the HDHomeRun View app at time 6:29 on my video.

[/quote]

Thank you,
I think I am sold on the Phillips Android TV......
You have provided good info in your video.

Best Regards

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Widevine (not Windvine) is a DRM scheme owned by Google that is designed specifically for use with web streaming content. There are two main levels of Widevine, Level 3 which is just a basic protection running within the OS, and Level 1 which uses a special security component built in to the CPU to do the processing (there's also a Level 2, but I've never heard of anything that uses it). There are certification tests that have to be passed to actually have a working implementation of these in the device, which is why a lot of random Chinese boxes are either Level 3 only (easier to get than Level 1) or don't support either. Higher resolution video on the paid streaming services typically requires Level 1, because they want to make sure their content is relatively well protected. None of this really matters to the HDHomeRun system, because content from a cable provider isn't typical web streaming format, and Widevine isn't an approved scheme for CableCARD devices.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:49 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:09 pm
Widevine (not Windvine) is a DRM scheme owned by Google that is designed specifically for use with web streaming content. There are two main levels of Widevine, Level 3 which is just a basic protection running within the OS, and Level 1 which uses a special security component built in to the CPU to do the processing (there's also a Level 2, but I've never heard of anything that uses it). There are certification tests that have to be passed to actually have a working implementation of these in the device, which is why a lot of random Chinese boxes are either Level 3 only (easier to get than Level 1) or don't support either. Higher resolution video on the paid streaming services typically requires Level 1, because they want to make sure their content is relatively well protected. None of this really matters to the HDHomeRun system, because content from a cable provider isn't typical web streaming format, and Widevine isn't an approved scheme for CableCARD devices.
Thank you for correcting me, and the detailed information you have provided on the aspects of Widevine.

If I understand you correctly Widevine is mainly for web streaming content ( encrypted) So it would mainly be used for HBO online, SHowtime online?
What would be used Fox and National Geographic Wouldn't that also be Widevine Level 1?

Reason I ask is that I cannot view Fox Business, or National Geographic on my Android box, because it is only Level 3, and it not using Web streaming....

Thank You
Regards

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:57 am

Widevine is used for Netflix and probably the HBO Now/HBO Go and other similar streaming services. DRM channels from your HDHomeRun use a different scheme called DTCP-IP, which is built in to the HDHomeRun app. Part of building it in to the app means that the app has to verify that the system it's running on is secure. One of the ways it does that is by using a system Google provides that compares the configuration of the system against known-good configurations that have been submitted by manufacturers during the certification process. If it doesn't match a known configuration, that means the system has been modified (e.g. by rooting it or installing third-party firmware) or that the configuration isn't in the database, usually because the manufacturer has chosen not to certify it. This sometimes happens on legit Android TV devices on beta firmware versions (testing is a lot of work, so manufacturers will sometimes skip certifying beta versions and only certify release versions). Random no-name Chinese Android boxes also aren't certified because they are running the tablet version of Android shoehorned onto a box, and Google will not certify that. No certification means the check fails, which means no DRM content from HDHomeRun PRIME on those devices.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:53 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:57 am
Widevine is used for Netflix and probably the HBO Now/HBO Go and other similar streaming services. DRM channels from your HDHomeRun use a different scheme called DTCP-IP, which is built in to the HDHomeRun app. Part of building it in to the app means that the app has to verify that the system it's running on is secure. One of the ways it does that is by using a system Google provides that compares the configuration of the system against known-good configurations that have been submitted by manufacturers during the certification process. If it doesn't match a known configuration, that means the system has been modified (e.g. by rooting it or installing third-party firmware) or that the configuration isn't in the database, usually because the manufacturer has chosen not to certify it. This sometimes happens on legit Android TV devices on beta firmware versions (testing is a lot of work, so manufacturers will sometimes skip certifying beta versions and only certify release versions). Random no-name Chinese Android boxes also aren't certified because they are running the tablet version of Android shoehorned onto a box, and Google will not certify that. No certification means the check fails, which means no DRM content from HDHomeRun PRIME on those devices.
WOW, Thank you for the detailed information and explaining it to me.
It helps a lot....
Both of my Android boxes are the chepo $40-$50 boxes, they work well for HDHomerun, and Kodi, and also playing back DVR recordings from my Windows 10 Pro box.

I have some really good news, as we have just purchased a new Phillip's 55 in Android TV

This is the model, as I figured it can be added to the SD list of working TV's

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/55PFL57 ... android-tv

Works great for HDhomerun View, viewing DVR recordings, just haven't yet tested DRM channels through the HD app yet.

It was priced as a super bargain for $279
Great picture, and it responsive too.

Thanks again for the detailed info you have provide me !

Best Regards
Ron

leop

Post by leop » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:08 am

I have found that the Element Android TV's do not support DRM channels in HDHomeRun view. Even though the tv's run a non-beta version of the firmware and Android TV and has access to the Google Android TV Play Store, they do not pass the basic integrity and the CTS profile match tests. It appears that Element may have failed to register, for at least the past six months, their current firmware (automatically loaded) with Google. This failure to pass these SafetyNet tests also means that the tv's cannot load and run any Hulu app, including the Hulu Android TV app and even the Hulu app preloaded on the tv.

This is something to look out for when purchasing an tv with Android TV. Has anyone confirmed what which current Android TV equipped tv's run the drm channels on HDHomeRun view (and pass the SafetyNet tests)?

Leop

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:19 am

My new Phillips Android TV does not support DRM.