Android box how to access hidden DVR menu with remote and how I got it to work as DVR

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
3579mike777

Re: Android box how to access hidden DVR menu with remote and how I got it to work as DVR

Post by 3579mike777 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Final update. I formatted the 4TB to exFAT. The Android box recognized the full 4TB with no additional steps. Started HD app and after a few seconds, the DVR started and defaulted to the 4TB.

I recommend formatting to exFAT any drive you connect to an Android box. NTFS will probably not work. If you let the Android OS format it, it might default to FAT32.

Now if I could get an easily scrollable channel grid for picking stuff to record, I would be happy.

Update: exFAT formatting got rid of the FAT32 file size limit. I recorded a show 3hr10 minutes and it worked fine. Now as long as Play Store continues to give he app updates, all will be good.

Update: I measured energy usage, which includes the android box, 4TB external drive and a couple of USB fans. When the app is just sitting there idle, not showing a channel or playing a channel, it uses about 12 watts. When it is showing a channel, it is 15 watts. By comparison my WMC computer dedicated to DVR uses 40 watts. However the WMC computer will go to sleep during inactivity, using only about 4 watts in sleep mode. If I remember correctly, the last Comcast DVR I had used 40 or 50 watts and was always running.

3579mike777

Re: Android box how to access hidden DVR menu with remote and how I got it to work as DVR

Post by 3579mike777 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 pm

This setup has been rock solid working as the DVR and primary playback on my main TV. Runs 24/7 for the past couple of weeks, always records as scheduled and doesn't crash. Very stable.

Only negative is 1080i channels, thankfully not many, have a subtle frame skipping during faster motion. WMC doesn't have the same problem.

Also most of the time the output of this Android box is about equal to the quality of WMC, but sometimes it is a little worse. Probably nothing to do with your program. I might try installing a codec pack, but the probably won't matter.