DVR Service fallback for scheduling if/when Plex fails

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
markmarz

DVR Service fallback for scheduling if/when Plex fails

Post by markmarz » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:16 am

Hi,

Been using HDHomeRun Prime, scheduling recordings with Plex. This works very well, but Plex is switching their EPG provider on July 1. The software enabling the switch is still in Beta. There have been many issues, and only a couple days left till the switch. That tight schedule is bad enough, but combine it with so many reported problems and I have very low confidence the cutover will work, or at least will work on July 1.

So I'm considering subscribing to the SD DVR service for a year in combination with the HDHomeRun App (already installed and working for Live TV). That should be long enough to resolve the Plex issues. Right? Hah-hah!

My question is whether there is any potential conflict or gotcha in using the DVR service when Plex is consuming the recordings. From what I gather, I don't think there will be. Just disable or ignore the Plex scheduling feature and rely completely on the DVR service. I assume I'll be able to point to the same network drives as I do currently. I also assume the HDHomeRun doesn't care about Plex on the network unless I'm using Plex to schedule. Perhaps there is some configuration change I don't know about to ensure Plex isn't interfering with the DVR service?

Also, is it true that there is a trial period with the DVR service? I've seen conflicting information on that. It would help to be able to test all this.

Thanks!
Mark M.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: DVR Service fallback for scheduling if/when Plex fails

Post by NedS » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:56 am

As long as there are enough tuners available for both, it shouldn't matter even if Plex is still recording. I use the HDHR DVR service, but I have a program or two set to record on a Plex server for the purposes of testing things, and they've co-existed peacefully for over a year now.

You can even point the Plex server to the HDHR recording directory and have it play them back, if you want.

markmarz

Re: DVR Service fallback for scheduling if/when Plex fails

Post by markmarz » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks very much for your reply! I now feel confident in falling back to the DVR service if needed.

Later,
Mark