Advance Warning Of Impending Renewal Charge

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jseymour

Advance Warning Of Impending Renewal Charge

Post by jseymour » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:39 am

It sure would have been nice if Silicon Dust had sent a notice that our DVR subscription was going to renew, rather than renewing it without warning.

I used that DVR software all of about a month the first time. Forgot to cancel it. Now I just paid another $35 for a subscription I haven't used for 11 months and will not use for the next 12 Image

My fault for failing to cancel, but, as I said: An advance warning of the impending renewal, which all the other automatically-renewing services to which I'm subscribed do, by the way, would've been nice.

shawn_75

Re: Advance Warning Of Impending Renewal Charge

Post by shawn_75 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm curious what services you subscribe to that send you a notice. Netflix, DTVNow, This Old House Insider, all of which I subscribe to do not warn me at all.

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Maybe I overstated my case. Correction: Many of them do. Amazon. CallCentric. All of my domain registrations. My gym membership, which is charged month-to-month but the contract is annual, the notify me when the contract is about up and I have to sign to renew. Our trash pickup service. (Only thought of that because we just renewed it.) There are others I can't think of right now. Netflix is month-to-month and we can cancel at any time. Most other stuff we get bills, then we're charged or we manually pay. In fact... yeah, pretty much all of them.

I do not like auto-renewal w/o notification before the charges.

consorts
Device ID: 378163771 55318008

Post by consorts » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:22 am

i agree with JS - not sending an email BEFORE you are about to ANNUAL renew is pretty scammy
particularly when we already get so much other junk mail by having an active subscription from SD.
in my case, i may not have $35 in that bank account at the time of renewal, thus risk overdraft, etc.

goofnroxx

Post by goofnroxx » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 am

I'm sure you can email customer service to cancel and get a refund. But yes, a notification of renewal would be nice. Or not be automatic at all, where you have to login and actively renew once a year.

sillywabbit

Post by sillywabbit » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm

In California a company is required by law to notify the customer prior to any automatic renewal 😁

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:51 am

goofnroxx wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 am
I'm sure you can email customer service to cancel and get a refund.
You can, I did, and they did. In fact Ned reached out to me as a result of my post.
goofnroxx wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 am
But yes, a notification of renewal would be nice. Or not be automatic at all, where you have to login and actively renew once a year.
Then they'd have customers complaining their DVR stopped working with no notice and it would've been nice if they'd received advance notification the subscription was going to expire or have automatic renewal.

I don't have a problem with automatic renewal, but I do think an email'd heads up that it's going to happen in a few days would be a good idea.

bdbauer

Post by bdbauer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:20 am

I just got my renewal over the weekend. I don't recall having done it, but I charged my initial year on an awards debit card (sort of like a prepaid) and I really didn't plan to use that long term. It was just a coincidence that I even had money on it when they auto-charged it this year. I can't even edit a "profile" to get the right card on it - I guess I have to contact support. This really needs improvement.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:59 pm

All subscription maintenance (cancellation, renewal, changing card information) can be done via the subscriptions page in the shop. Direct link is https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/my-ac ... criptions/ .