HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jco23

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by jco23 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 am

ACraigo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 am
jco23 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm
latest version of the app does not play anything. i've tried uninstalling, rebooting roku, re-installing, but to no avail.
If your unit doesn't decode MPEG-2 and you're trying to play it - that will be the result.
Is there a switch in the Roku Settings to turn that on? Not on my Ultra, but it does play MPEG-2, and did out of the box. Other Rokus may have a switch for MPEG-2 in the settings - I just don't know.
this failed on all 3 of my roku devices (Ultra, Premier, and TCL TV where Roku is built in).

when I use the Roku media app, I see the channels listed as MPEG-2, and only the locals play (the cable channels state they are corrupted).

however, on my panasonic TV, DLNA is enabled, and I can watch all channels there (including DRM) - obviously, this is not Roku related, but still could be helpful for others to know.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:03 am

jco23 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 am
ACraigo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 am
jco23 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm
latest version of the app does not play anything. i've tried uninstalling, rebooting roku, re-installing, but to no avail.
If your unit doesn't decode MPEG-2 and you're trying to play it - that will be the result.
Is there a switch in the Roku Settings to turn that on? Not on my Ultra, but it does play MPEG-2, and did out of the box. Other Rokus may have a switch for MPEG-2 in the settings - I just don't know.
this failed on all 3 of my roku devices (Ultra, Premier, and TCL TV where Roku is built in).

when I use the Roku media app, I see the channels listed as MPEG-2, and only the locals play (the cable channels state they are corrupted).

however, on my panasonic TV, DLNA is enabled, and I can watch all channels there (including DRM) - obviously, this is not Roku related, but still could be helpful for others to know.
That is very odd. I wonder why it works for me (mostly) and not for you on an Ultra?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Roku's video player is not tolerant of any kind of variance in the data in the broadcast from what it expects. Some cable providers have additional metadata in their channels, usually things like signalling from the channel operator telling the cable provider's equipment when to splice in local ads, and if the Roku player sees that data, it just fails, instead of doing the proper thing and ignoring it. This has been reported to Roku by us and other developers, but we have no indication of if or when they will change the player.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:23 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:40 pm
Roku's video player is not tolerant of any kind of variance in the data in the broadcast from what it expects...
... This has been reported to Roku by us and other developers, but we have no indication of if or when they will change the player.
1) I can attest to that - when the PBS transmitter (the only one around here) is going belly up (periodically) the signal goes slightly haywire then really haywire right before death. My Roku won't play any ' slightly haywire' video when everything else will.

2) Best of Luck - could be a hard row to hoe or as easy as falling off a log. You never know.

geeyoff

Post by geeyoff » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 am

NedS wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:50 am
dudley76 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm
Why is this the only Roku app that I have sound trouble with?
Most other Roku apps are services that actually provide the video and audio itself, and control those format. They can prepare a stream that is already Roku-friendly. Netflix or Hulu can format their content however they need, to work with whatever devices they choose to work with. HDHomeRun devices are simply relaying over-the-air broadcasts, as-is. We cannot change how broadcasters encode their audio. Roku choose not to license Dolby Digital in some of their devices, and we cannot change that either.

The only thing that can be done in that situation is to add a middle-man, some kind of transcoding server that does all the heavy lifting and converts the over-the-air broadcast and turns it into something that is 100% Roku-friendly. That is how Plex and Emby work.

All we can do is work with what we have available, and what we have will work for most Roku customers, but not all of them.
Does NedS's response describe my problem? I'm a newbie, so I'm not sure.
I have a Roku Ultra (which I believe can handle all kinds of audio formats) connected to the tv via HDMI, and the tv connects to a soundbar via optical cable. My audio works fine with everything EXCEPT the HDHomeRun Roku app. If I switch the tv's audio output to the built-in speakers, the audio works fine--so the issue is in getting HDHomeRun audio from the tv to the soundbar. Can anyone provide any help with this issue, please?

mikehineline

Post by mikehineline » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:44 am

My HDHomeRun Roku beta app has disappeared from my Roku. When I try to add the channel in my Roku account with code N6MN9QC as instructed in the blog post, Roku returns the error "The channel code provided is associated with a channel not available in your region."

Is there still a way to get access to the beta?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:58 am

mikehineline wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:44 am
Is there still a way to get access to the beta?
They moved it to the regular channel store.
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/297903/hdhomerun

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:39 pm

geeyoff wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 am
Does NedS's response describe my problem? I'm a newbie, so I'm not sure.
I have a Roku Ultra (which I believe can handle all kinds of audio formats) connected to the tv via HDMI, and the tv connects to a soundbar via optical cable. My audio works fine with everything EXCEPT the HDHomeRun Roku app. If I switch the tv's audio output to the built-in speakers, the audio works fine--so the issue is in getting HDHomeRun audio from the tv to the soundbar. Can anyone provide any help with this issue, please?
You would need to set the audio output on the Roku to whatever the non-Dolby option is (I don't have an Ultra here to check, but it might be listed as stereo, PCM, or something else like that). There are some TVs that can only output DD via optical when coming from the internal tuner, and otherwise they can only pass PCM.

geeyoff

Post by geeyoff » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:30 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:39 pm
geeyoff wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 am
You would need to set the audio output on the Roku to whatever the non-Dolby option is (I don't have an Ultra here to check, but it might be listed as stereo, PCM, or something else like that). There are some TVs that can only output DD via optical when coming from the internal tuner, and otherwise they can only pass PCM.
Hmm. That didn't fix the problem. I set the Roku's "Audio Mode" to "Stereo" (the other option being "Auto") and I set the Roku's "HDMI" setting to "PCM-Stereo" (the other options being various forms of Dolby) but that I still have no audio from the HDHomeRun app.
I guess I'll try shelling out $5 for a month's service of Emby or Plex to see if that resolves the issue. Unless anyone can think of any other options, in which case I'm all ears!
Thanks for your response.

jco23

Post by jco23 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:26 am

the Roku app still fails to play any channels.

I tried re-scanning my prime, disconnecting/re-connecting both the power cord and cablecard. I'd really like to view (at least the local OTA channels) my channels via Roku - which is the main reason why I bought the device.

FWIW, can view channels via PC and XBox. the android app on my Pixel 3 (updated to Android 10 OS) still force closes.

any ideas?

thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:53 am

You mentioned a prime... roku is always hit or miss on cable streams and primarily a miss with most cable systems. Really the only thing you can look at are audio settings but that most likely isn't your problem.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:15 pm

jco23 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:26 am
the Roku app still fails to play any channels.

I tried re-scanning my prime, disconnecting/re-connecting both the power cord and cablecard. I'd really like to view (at least the local OTA channels) my channels via Roku - which is the main reason why I bought the device.

FWIW, can view channels via PC and XBox. the android app on my Pixel 3 (updated to Android 10 OS) still force closes.

any ideas?

thanks!
Yep, as signcarver says, the Prime is not supported for Roku at the moment. See: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/roku To get OTA channels, you will likely need to actually get them from Over the Air. We'll definitely update whenever we have cable support on the platform.

jco23

Post by jco23 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:03 pm

thanks for the quick responses.

right, it's not the audio. the app used to display OTA channels, but last release has zero functionality for my prime...

I'll sit tight and wait for the next release.

SD, I'm happy to help test anything if needed.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:05 pm

You shouldn't get your hopes up. On Roku, the problems that are with playback (cable channels not working, channels playing in the wrong language, some OTA channels not playing or randomly stopping, playback stopping if reception errors are encountered, etc.) are due to bugs and design limitations in the Roku video player. The HDHomeRun channel has zero control over that. Any fix would have to come from Roku. The issues have been reported, both by us and by other developers, but I don't get the sense that Roku is particularly interested in doing anything about them. The player works for what it's designed to do. Playing OTA and cable channels is not something it is designed to do.

jco23

Post by jco23 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:24 am

jasonl wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:05 pm
You shouldn't get your hopes up. On Roku, the problems that are with playback (cable channels not working, channels playing in the wrong language, some OTA channels not playing or randomly stopping, playback stopping if reception errors are encountered, etc.) are due to bugs and design limitations in the Roku video player. The HDHomeRun channel has zero control over that. Any fix would have to come from Roku. The issues have been reported, both by us and by other developers, but I don't get the sense that Roku is particularly interested in doing anything about them. The player works for what it's designed to do. Playing OTA and cable channels is not something it is designed to do.
i appreciate the feedback - especially from SD developers. I raised the issue on the Roku forums, but not expecting anything to be done. at this point, this is all that we (consumers) can do. at this point, I'll just have to be content watching via Plex.

I know I can access the local channels via the Roku Media Player app, so not sure why that cannot translate over to the dedicated app (although, I'm sure there is an explanation here somewhere)