HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
gtb
Expert

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by gtb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:39 am

smassey22180 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:24 am
Can the Dual and Connect co-exist on the same network?
Yes, and, as you suggest, the legacy tuners continue to work on the systems/solutions they were sold for (with the usual caveat that eventually they will probably die, although anecdotally, the tuners are like the bunny, they just keep going and going and going (the power adapters/wall warts/bricks/supplies, on the other hand, tend to be the weak point, but replacements are available on the SD direct sales site)).

On the other hand, WMC (unless you are running it on W8.1), is going to end support (the last of the security updates) in Jan 2020, so one should consider how they will operate then (the airgap solution is not entirely viable if your WMC systems needs guide data, and while there are workarounds, they all have different complexities).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Personally my suggestion for a dual is to keep it on very old firmware so it does not report a lineup (which is hosted by SD's servers), thern there would be no question of a "modern" app trying to use the legacy tuners as it wouldn't pick them up.

I believe currently if you plan on using the roku channel, and you also have a dual, it can not have a lineup or it won't work until the fixes are in place to ignore such that jasonl previously mentioned.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm

signcarver wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:11 pm
Personally my suggestion for a dual is to keep it on very old firmware so it does not report a lineup (which is hosted by SD's servers), thern there would be no question of a "modern" app trying to use the legacy tuners as it wouldn't pick them up.

I believe currently if you plan on using the roku channel, and you also have a dual, it can not have a lineup or it won't work until the fixes are in place to ignore such that jasonl previously mentioned.
OK thanks for the replies. Regarding the lineup, the dual can't hide the 80% of the local channels I won't ever want to view. So I probably want to upgrade just for that feature. I get 80+ locals and only watch 10 or so.

GTB, My WMC boxes are on W8.1

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:56 pm

CubsWin wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:05 pm
I tested my new Scribe with my Roku's last night. My LG TV initially didn't have audio, but setting the Roku to Dolby Digital fixed it. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my Panasonic, which I can't get audio on regardless of settings.
Thinking outside of the box... If I were to get an HDMI audio extractor to output stereo audio, then use an HDMI audio inserter to insert that audio back to a single HDMI connection, could that get around the Roku audio limitations?
Maybe, although you might have to research to see if those will break HDCP, which you need for Netflix and other such apps. Probably better to just hook up a soundbar and let it do everything. Even a cheapo <$100 soundbar will crush TV speakers in sound quality, too.

jco23

Post by jco23 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:23 am

got the HD Homerun Prime 3 off e-bay. I already had a cablecard and installed it.

Prime found 200+ channels and I'm able to see/hear ALL channels on computer via app.

when viewing the channels on Roku, I'm able to see the channel lineup, but as others have mentioned, only local channels show. any cable shows force exit back to the channel lineup.

in terms of audio, I only get audio when I have a soundbar connected.

question though: once the channel scan has completed, there are stars next to each channel and it appears that I can select them. what is the benefit of this? i'd imagine that it would be to select which channels we want to appear on the app

looking forward to getting the cable channels to display on the Roku.

I'm in the baltimore area, using FiOS on TCL Roku TV (with soundbar), Roku Ultra (no soundbar), Roku Premier (with soundbar).

dudley76

Post by dudley76 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Hello,

I currently use a Samsung JS8500 4K TV (2015 model). I connect all my devices to it using HDMI cables (Xbox One, Oppo UDP-203 blu-ray player, and a Roku Ultra). My sound is output to a sound bar using an optical cable, where my TV audio setting needs to be set to PCM in order to get sound to play from any of my connected devices. Everything sounds fine...except when I'm using the HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku app (no audio).

If I use the HDHomeRun network source (which my Samsung TV picks up as an available device), the sound works fine. If I use the HDHomeRun app on the Xbox One, the sound works fine. It's only the OTA app for Roku where there is no audio at all.

There is no Dolby Digital audio setting available if I output sound from my TV to the sound bar via the optical cable. Moreover, my sound bar does not support bi-directional HDMI audio, nor would I want to use HDMI, as I wouldn't want to connect all of my devices to the sound bar (I would need a REALLY expensive sound bar to accomplish this).

Why is this the only Roku app that I have sound trouble with? I mean, I can easily switch to the HDHomeRun input source on the TV, or I can use the HDHomeRun app on the Xbox. But it's so convenient to be able to use the new OTA on the Roku, as I wouldn't have to keep switching input sources just for one app.

Thanks in advance.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:50 am

dudley76 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm
Why is this the only Roku app that I have sound trouble with?
Most other Roku apps are services that actually provide the video and audio itself, and control those format. They can prepare a stream that is already Roku-friendly. Netflix or Hulu can format their content however they need, to work with whatever devices they choose to work with. HDHomeRun devices are simply relaying over-the-air broadcasts, as-is. We cannot change how broadcasters encode their audio. Roku choose not to license Dolby Digital in some of their devices, and we cannot change that either.

The only thing that can be done in that situation is to add a middle-man, some kind of transcoding server that does all the heavy lifting and converts the over-the-air broadcast and turns it into something that is 100% Roku-friendly. That is how Plex and Emby work.

All we can do is work with what we have available, and what we have will work for most Roku customers, but not all of them.

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:15 am

NedS wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:50 am
dudley76 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm
Why is this the only Roku app that I have sound trouble with?
Most other Roku apps are services that actually provide the video and audio itself, and control those format. They can prepare a stream that is already Roku-friendly. Netflix or Hulu can format their content however they need, to work with whatever devices they choose to work with. HDHomeRun devices are simply relaying over-the-air broadcasts, as-is. We cannot change how broadcasters encode their audio. Roku choose not to license Dolby Digital in some of their devices, and we cannot change that either.

The only thing that can be done in that situation is to add a middle-man, some kind of transcoding server that does all the heavy lifting and converts the over-the-air broadcast and turns it into something that is 100% Roku-friendly. That is how Plex and Emby work.

All we can do is work with what we have available, and what we have will work for most Roku customers, but not all of them.
For those curious about all this: https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/streaming.md
2 Roku TVs and Roku Ultra can decode AC3 and E-AC3. All other Roku devices will do passthrough to the receiving device. Roku Ultra supports the latest Dolby technologies such as Dolby Atmos and System Sound Mixing (MS12).

Chas52

Post by Chas52 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:28 am

I have two Roku's one is a Roku 5000 and it works great the other is a Hitachi Roku TV and it installs shows channel and lineup and will allow me to select the bar that indicates it is loading. It runs just as it should but will never load the program. I have updated firmware/software on the roku and the TV but nothing works. Any suggestions?

Chas52

SurplusGadgets

Post by SurplusGadgets » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:22 am

villaHdHR wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:47 pm
Has anyone else had their broadcast drop out and return to the program menu? I get this consistently. Sometimes it's after 15-20 minutes and other times it's after two. I have a Connect using an OTA antenna hooked up to a Roku Premire+, all connected via Ethernet. No problems with dropped signals with the Android and Windows apps.
(new) SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro (OTA) (FW 20190621)
(new) Roku Ultra 4660X (FW 9.1.0 - build 4111-46)
(older) Samsung TV (maybe 3 years old)
Had to change Roku sound to Dolby Digital to get the sound working (had first tested on a HomeTheatre setup where it worked fine out of the box).

Channel 5.1 WRAL NBC in RDU, NC will rarely load or drop )as described above) if it does load. Occasionally, channel 11.1 WTVD ABC will not load or will drop -- but it is the weakest signal being received and displays occasional stutter / drops on the HomeTheatre system). These are the only channels with such an issue on the Roku and HD App combination. Would be nice to resolve.

UPDATE: The issue seems dependent on content. If the local news broadcast, the station plays immediately just fine, most of the time. A live NFL game dropped every 30 minutes like the OP stated. Some other national broadcasts would never load -- ever, at all, like the Today show (3 hrs while I was testing in AM), ET @ 7PM (testing; never opened), etc. Now today, even a local news broadcast would not load during its first 15 minutes.

I also have a WMC in a different area of the house that I have been using for nearly 10 years (with a Dual ATSC Tuner HDHR-US). It is happy with the new Quattro and does just fine playing and recording; even station 5.1 and 11.1. So guess it is a Roku player issue?

While HD HomeRun does appear in the Roku Media Player DLNA stream, it will rarely load / play any channel even though the HD app is fine with most channels. Not sure what the difference there is if this is the same media player though ...
Last edited by SurplusGadgets on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurplusGadgets

Post by SurplusGadgets » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Where is the App getting the guide information from? Sometimes it is detailed with accurate art. Other times it is pretty corrupted showing original broadcast dates and times of anytime in the last 60 years for a live newscast.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:13 pm

Guide data comes from our guide provider. Shows that don't have episode-specific information (e.g. the news) will get an original air date of whatever the first broadcast of the show was.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:57 pm

jco23 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:23 am
. . .
question though: once the channel scan has completed, there are stars next to each channel and it appears that I can select them. what is the benefit of this? i'd imagine that it would be to select which channels we want to appear on the app
. . .
I think this got lost above so I will answer in case the user is still interested...
The purpose of the star is that you can use it to mark the channel as a favorite which is used as a folder for DLNA access but such isn't currently used in the apps and the only thing currently SD uses such for is that the record engine would prefer to record from that channel number, not necessarily that device as any device with that number is fair game. Click it again, it will disable the channel then anything relying on the device to get a list of channels will not see the channel. Click it (now an X rather than star) again and it is back to "normal"
SurplusGadgets wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:22 am
. . .
While HD HomeRun does appear in the Roku Media Player DLNA stream, it will rarely load / play any channel even though the HD app is fine with most channels. Not sure what the difference there is if this is the same media player though
. . .
The HDHomeRun would be considered a certified DLNA device (I think only the prime had such official certification but the code is "reused" so even if not officially certified, it behaves the same way) as a result it is forced to present content a certain way and it's content is not seekable as it is "live" and there are rules for DLNA that if an app presents a request that attempts to "seek" (through a range request) when the content is not seekable that the device drop such a connection rather than just provide an appropriate response and continue as it can through "normal" http access. Unfortunately most uncertified DLNA players don't realize this rule is in place and "immediately" attempts to seek through the unseekable.

In theory I believe if their DVR ever got DLNA access and provided a live channel list (in addition to recordings), it could be considered seekable content through dlna, though there wouldn't be much to seek through when starting and there may be some other considerations needed in updating the max value and as a result may also not work as expected with all devices.

jco23

Post by jco23 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm

latest version of the app does not play anything. i've tried uninstalling, rebooting roku, re-installing, but to no avail.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 am

jco23 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm
latest version of the app does not play anything. i've tried uninstalling, rebooting roku, re-installing, but to no avail.
If your unit doesn't decode MPEG-2 and you're trying to play it - that will be the result.
Is there a switch in the Roku Settings to turn that on? Not on my Ultra, but it does play MPEG-2, and did out of the box. Other Rokus may have a switch for MPEG-2 in the settings - I just don't know.