HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jco23

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by jco23 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 am

ACraigo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 am
jco23 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm
latest version of the app does not play anything. i've tried uninstalling, rebooting roku, re-installing, but to no avail.
If your unit doesn't decode MPEG-2 and you're trying to play it - that will be the result.
Is there a switch in the Roku Settings to turn that on? Not on my Ultra, but it does play MPEG-2, and did out of the box. Other Rokus may have a switch for MPEG-2 in the settings - I just don't know.
this failed on all 3 of my roku devices (Ultra, Premier, and TCL TV where Roku is built in).

when I use the Roku media app, I see the channels listed as MPEG-2, and only the locals play (the cable channels state they are corrupted).

however, on my panasonic TV, DLNA is enabled, and I can watch all channels there (including DRM) - obviously, this is not Roku related, but still could be helpful for others to know.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:03 am

jco23 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 am
ACraigo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 am
jco23 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm
latest version of the app does not play anything. i've tried uninstalling, rebooting roku, re-installing, but to no avail.
If your unit doesn't decode MPEG-2 and you're trying to play it - that will be the result.
Is there a switch in the Roku Settings to turn that on? Not on my Ultra, but it does play MPEG-2, and did out of the box. Other Rokus may have a switch for MPEG-2 in the settings - I just don't know.
this failed on all 3 of my roku devices (Ultra, Premier, and TCL TV where Roku is built in).

when I use the Roku media app, I see the channels listed as MPEG-2, and only the locals play (the cable channels state they are corrupted).

however, on my panasonic TV, DLNA is enabled, and I can watch all channels there (including DRM) - obviously, this is not Roku related, but still could be helpful for others to know.
That is very odd. I wonder why it works for me (mostly) and not for you on an Ultra?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Roku's video player is not tolerant of any kind of variance in the data in the broadcast from what it expects. Some cable providers have additional metadata in their channels, usually things like signalling from the channel operator telling the cable provider's equipment when to splice in local ads, and if the Roku player sees that data, it just fails, instead of doing the proper thing and ignoring it. This has been reported to Roku by us and other developers, but we have no indication of if or when they will change the player.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:23 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:40 pm
Roku's video player is not tolerant of any kind of variance in the data in the broadcast from what it expects...
... This has been reported to Roku by us and other developers, but we have no indication of if or when they will change the player.
1) I can attest to that - when the PBS transmitter (the only one around here) is going belly up (periodically) the signal goes slightly haywire then really haywire right before death. My Roku won't play any ' slightly haywire' video when everything else will.

2) Best of Luck - could be a hard row to hoe or as easy as falling off a log. You never know.