HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
gtb
Expert

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by gtb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:39 am

smassey22180 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:24 am
Can the Dual and Connect co-exist on the same network?
Yes, and, as you suggest, the legacy tuners continue to work on the systems/solutions they were sold for (with the usual caveat that eventually they will probably die, although anecdotally, the tuners are like the bunny, they just keep going and going and going (the power adapters/wall warts/bricks/supplies, on the other hand, tend to be the weak point, but replacements are available on the SD direct sales site)).

On the other hand, WMC (unless you are running it on W8.1), is going to end support (the last of the security updates) in Jan 2020, so one should consider how they will operate then (the airgap solution is not entirely viable if your WMC systems needs guide data, and while there are workarounds, they all have different complexities).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Personally my suggestion for a dual is to keep it on very old firmware so it does not report a lineup (which is hosted by SD's servers), thern there would be no question of a "modern" app trying to use the legacy tuners as it wouldn't pick them up.

I believe currently if you plan on using the roku channel, and you also have a dual, it can not have a lineup or it won't work until the fixes are in place to ignore such that jasonl previously mentioned.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm

signcarver wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:11 pm
Personally my suggestion for a dual is to keep it on very old firmware so it does not report a lineup (which is hosted by SD's servers), thern there would be no question of a "modern" app trying to use the legacy tuners as it wouldn't pick them up.

I believe currently if you plan on using the roku channel, and you also have a dual, it can not have a lineup or it won't work until the fixes are in place to ignore such that jasonl previously mentioned.
OK thanks for the replies. Regarding the lineup, the dual can't hide the 80% of the local channels I won't ever want to view. So I probably want to upgrade just for that feature. I get 80+ locals and only watch 10 or so.

GTB, My WMC boxes are on W8.1

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:56 pm

CubsWin wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:05 pm
I tested my new Scribe with my Roku's last night. My LG TV initially didn't have audio, but setting the Roku to Dolby Digital fixed it. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my Panasonic, which I can't get audio on regardless of settings.
Thinking outside of the box... If I were to get an HDMI audio extractor to output stereo audio, then use an HDMI audio inserter to insert that audio back to a single HDMI connection, could that get around the Roku audio limitations?
Maybe, although you might have to research to see if those will break HDCP, which you need for Netflix and other such apps. Probably better to just hook up a soundbar and let it do everything. Even a cheapo <$100 soundbar will crush TV speakers in sound quality, too.

jco23

Post by jco23 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:23 am

got the HD Homerun Prime 3 off e-bay. I already had a cablecard and installed it.

Prime found 200+ channels and I'm able to see/hear ALL channels on computer via app.

when viewing the channels on Roku, I'm able to see the channel lineup, but as others have mentioned, only local channels show. any cable shows force exit back to the channel lineup.

in terms of audio, I only get audio when I have a soundbar connected.

question though: once the channel scan has completed, there are stars next to each channel and it appears that I can select them. what is the benefit of this? i'd imagine that it would be to select which channels we want to appear on the app

looking forward to getting the cable channels to display on the Roku.

I'm in the baltimore area, using FiOS on TCL Roku TV (with soundbar), Roku Ultra (no soundbar), Roku Premier (with soundbar).

dudley76

Post by dudley76 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Hello,

I currently use a Samsung JS8500 4K TV (2015 model). I connect all my devices to it using HDMI cables (Xbox One, Oppo UDP-203 blu-ray player, and a Roku Ultra). My sound is output to a sound bar using an optical cable, where my TV audio setting needs to be set to PCM in order to get sound to play from any of my connected devices. Everything sounds fine...except when I'm using the HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku app (no audio).

If I use the HDHomeRun network source (which my Samsung TV picks up as an available device), the sound works fine. If I use the HDHomeRun app on the Xbox One, the sound works fine. It's only the OTA app for Roku where there is no audio at all.

There is no Dolby Digital audio setting available if I output sound from my TV to the sound bar via the optical cable. Moreover, my sound bar does not support bi-directional HDMI audio, nor would I want to use HDMI, as I wouldn't want to connect all of my devices to the sound bar (I would need a REALLY expensive sound bar to accomplish this).

Why is this the only Roku app that I have sound trouble with? I mean, I can easily switch to the HDHomeRun input source on the TV, or I can use the HDHomeRun app on the Xbox. But it's so convenient to be able to use the new OTA on the Roku, as I wouldn't have to keep switching input sources just for one app.

Thanks in advance.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:50 am

dudley76 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm
Why is this the only Roku app that I have sound trouble with?
Most other Roku apps are services that actually provide the video and audio itself, and control those format. They can prepare a stream that is already Roku-friendly. Netflix or Hulu can format their content however they need, to work with whatever devices they choose to work with. HDHomeRun devices are simply relaying over-the-air broadcasts, as-is. We cannot change how broadcasters encode their audio. Roku choose not to license Dolby Digital in some of their devices, and we cannot change that either.

The only thing that can be done in that situation is to add a middle-man, some kind of transcoding server that does all the heavy lifting and converts the over-the-air broadcast and turns it into something that is 100% Roku-friendly. That is how Plex and Emby work.

All we can do is work with what we have available, and what we have will work for most Roku customers, but not all of them.

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:15 am

NedS wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:50 am
dudley76 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm
Why is this the only Roku app that I have sound trouble with?
Most other Roku apps are services that actually provide the video and audio itself, and control those format. They can prepare a stream that is already Roku-friendly. Netflix or Hulu can format their content however they need, to work with whatever devices they choose to work with. HDHomeRun devices are simply relaying over-the-air broadcasts, as-is. We cannot change how broadcasters encode their audio. Roku choose not to license Dolby Digital in some of their devices, and we cannot change that either.

The only thing that can be done in that situation is to add a middle-man, some kind of transcoding server that does all the heavy lifting and converts the over-the-air broadcast and turns it into something that is 100% Roku-friendly. That is how Plex and Emby work.

All we can do is work with what we have available, and what we have will work for most Roku customers, but not all of them.
For those curious about all this: https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/streaming.md
2 Roku TVs and Roku Ultra can decode AC3 and E-AC3. All other Roku devices will do passthrough to the receiving device. Roku Ultra supports the latest Dolby technologies such as Dolby Atmos and System Sound Mixing (MS12).