HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
sspell

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by sspell » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 am

jasonl wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:17 am
Scheduling isn't the concern so much as the media player not wanting to do trick play. We can make it play a recording the same as it plays live TV, but you don't have any of the useful functions of a DVR like being able to skip past commercials or skip back to replay something you missed.
No offence meant here just constructive criticism others such as Emby have overcome the obstacles on Roku very well their DVR works fine with my TCL and Ultra Rokus and direct playing without transcoding so it is possible. Me I like the KISS method of SD and are rooting for you knowing a lot may have to be done on the server side of the DVR. Also I realize that requires a lot of work but it can be done. Good luck with the adventure into Roku this will open a lot more people to the SD universe. So continue the good work. It actually made me buy another Roku.
One thing I would like to mention Emby only has the pause on the UI you need to use the remote for trick play as no buttons are referenced other than pause/play on the actual UI player. With thumbnails set up it works very good. Still my support is with you all at SD as stated thank you for the venture into Roku

bitminer

Post by bitminer » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:12 pm

I would like to report that after my comments were deleted from the thread when using a first gen Samsung smart tv where audio was not being sent to the Visio Sound bar over optical that the system is now working where I complained that the application should not require people to upgrade their entire system(s) just to get audio to work.

This is after of course an act of god where a near by lightning strike took out my TV and roku. So I am now happy to report it is working after I bought a new TV... it only took an act of god. This forum must work like that God Friended me TV show. Post... wait for lightning... upgrade TV... and wallah the SiliconDust HD Beta app will work with your sound bar.... Note your mileage may vary (disclaimer)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:58 pm

bitminer wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:12 pm
I would like to report that after my comments were deleted from the thread when using a first gen Samsung smart tv where audio was not being sent to the Visio Sound bar over optical that the system is now working where I complained that the application should not require people to upgrade their entire system(s) just to get audio to work.

This is after of course an act of god where a near by lightning strike took out my TV and roku. So I am now happy to report it is working after I bought a new TV... it only took an act of god. This forum must work like that God Friended me TV show. Post... wait for lightning... upgrade TV... and wallah the SiliconDust HD Beta app will work with your sound bar.... Note your mileage may vary (disclaimer)
I don't know the reasons behind your previous post removal, but understand that there is nothing we can do to change the audio requirements. HDHomeRun hardware relays broadcast signals as-is. There is no transcoding server, so we are at the mercy of what the Roku hardware can do. We cannot create what does not exist on the playback side.

brlowe

Post by brlowe » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Will the Roku app ever be able to play the recorded shows? I use Roku for my Playon and Plex recordings but I would like to switch to HDHomerun for live recordings. I would prefer to not have to switch devices just to watch recordings.

Is there any TV device that gives you full control of the HDHomerun DVR features?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:44 pm

We're making progress on getting playback of recorded shows working.

Fire TV, Android TV, and Xbox One all have full DVR functionality.

brlowe

Post by brlowe » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:13 pm

I do have a firetv so I will give it a try.

JDazell1

Post by JDazell1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:42 pm

brlowe wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:04 pm
Will the Roku app ever be able to play the recorded shows? I use Roku for my Playon and Plex recordings but I would like to switch to HDHomerun for live recordings. I would prefer to not have to switch devices just to watch recordings.

Is there any TV device that gives you full control of the HDHomerun DVR features?
Sadly for all of us Roku lovers, The HDHR App on the Amazon Fire works perfectly with my Scribe and sees both Connect Quatro and Scribe Duo. Recording (play and configure) work perfectly.

Too bad that "Roku apps are so locked down"?

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:35 am

This reply is regarding the audio issues with Roku and older TVs.

I'm in this sub-group and currently effected by the audio issue with Roku on an older Samsung LCD TV. I always looked at the benefit of Roku was to add "smarts" to a dumb TV and delay sending it to a trash heap. So, as I see it based on what I've ready, by options are:
1. Get a new TV
2. Use something other than a Roku (certainly an option since I'm beta testing the DirecTV Now...I mean AT&T TV NOW..."beta box" and the HDHR App runs fine on Android TV
3. Use some esoteric audio extractor (nope)
4. Route my HDHR through Plex, which will "fix" the audio issue on Roku

I understand the issues the SD folks have expressed about Roku and their internal video player. However, couldn't they issue an update firmware for those HDHR devices that have transcoding which would would also transcode the audio?

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:14 pm

Holocron wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:35 am
FWIIW: I broke out the Lifetime Plex Pass I bought a few years back and never used. I made a Plex Server. Now getting live tv with audio and awesome dvr on ROku with my HDHR Extend.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:44 pm

Holocron wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:14 pm
Holocron wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:35 am
FWIIW: I broke out the Lifetime Plex Pass I bought a few years back and never used. I made a Plex Server. Now getting live tv with audio and awesome dvr on ROku with my HDHR Extend.
The shortcomings of Plex-DVR will become painfully apparent - very soon.

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:27 am

ACraigo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:44 pm
I'll be sure to let you know if/when I experience any shortcomings.

On the other hand, it solves my Roku audio problem without having to expend any $ on a new TV. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:31 am

Holocron wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:27 am
ACraigo wrote:

On the other hand, it solves my Roku audio problem without having to expend any $ on a new TV. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Don't let me know. You can just join one of the hundreds of threads on Plex Forums on the sad state of Plex-DVR as there seems to be no shortage of them. I know, right now you have audio - an important component of TV, in general, but there's a lot more to a DVR than audio.

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:58 pm

ACraigo wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:31 am
Holocron wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:27 am
ACraigo wrote:

Don't let me know. You can just join one of the hundreds of threads on Plex Forums on the sad state of Plex-DVR as there seems to be no shortage of them. I know, right now you have audio - an important component of TV, in general, but there's a lot more to a DVR than audio.
Thank you for your thoughtful and entirely helpful addition to this discussion.

CubsWin

Post by CubsWin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:05 pm

I tested my new Scribe with my Roku's last night. My LG TV initially didn't have audio, but setting the Roku to Dolby Digital fixed it. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my Panasonic, which I can't get audio on regardless of settings.
Thinking outside of the box... If I were to get an HDMI audio extractor to output stereo audio, then use an HDMI audio inserter to insert that audio back to a single HDMI connection, could that get around the Roku audio limitations?

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:24 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pm
You need a device that supports HTTP streaming, so the Dual will not work, it has to be a CONNECT or newer. We'll take a look at the device detection logic to make sure it ignores incompatible models, and make sure it's noted in the app information once it's out of beta.
Can the Dual and Connect co-exist on the same network? A used Dual has no ebay value so I may as well keep it for extra tuners that WMC and W10 app can use. Connect would only be used by the Rokus.

thanks