HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
JDazell

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by JDazell » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:20 pm

tracy1718 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:20 am
I had no problems with the Roku channel install and changing the default Roku audio setting from PCM stereo to Dolby dts gave me audio playback. But, I've done everything I can think of in settings to correct an aspect ratio problem that gives me a picture that appears to be "zoomed" to the top of the screen. I'm using a Roku Express ( with latest software update), two Connect Duos attached to separate antennas and have tried the Roku Express on both a Samsung and TCL tv. (Of course, my Fire Stick has no problems on either tv.)
I am having the same aspect ratio issue. The channel is unwatchable as it is formatted.

richlaf

Post by richlaf » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 pm

Just some feedback. I am using a hdhomerun PRIME and a ROKU Premium+. The channels that are not DRM protected work fine when I attach the Roku to my old Sony TV. However, when I attach the Roku to my old Panasonic Plasma TV I get the video without the sound.

Would love for SD to resolve the DRM issue.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:27 pm

DRM isn't our issue to solve. Roku's system gives the app almost no control over anything. You basically get to make some layouts, fill them with text and images, and write some scripts that link it all together and feed video URLs to their video player. All the work happens in their player, so if it doesn't support something, like decoding audio, or certain data in the video stream, or a DRM scheme that has been approved by the cable industry, then you're out of luck unless Roku decides to add support for it. There's no way to run our own code on it to implement the necessary security the way there is on Android and iOS.

aslg

Roadmap for DVR support

Post by aslg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Is there a roadmap to add DVR support to the Roku app?

Thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:52 pm

There is some exploration being done. A roadmap would imply there's a clear and obvious path to get there, which isn't the case due to limitations of the Roku media player (are you sensing a pattern?).

aslg

Post by aslg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:40 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:52 pm
There is some exploration being done. A roadmap would imply there's a clear and obvious path to get there, which isn't the case due to limitations of the Roku media player (are you sensing a pattern?).
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I was hoping about the possibility of watching recorded shows and deleting them after watched. Would this be possible with the limitations of the Roku platform?
I would be happy with just that. I can schedule new recordings from my PC. This is not something I do every day...

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:17 am

Scheduling isn't the concern so much as the media player not wanting to do trick play. We can make it play a recording the same as it plays live TV, but you don't have any of the useful functions of a DVR like being able to skip past commercials or skip back to replay something you missed.

KBishop26

Post by KBishop26 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:18 am

I have a two tuner HD Homerun and have downloaded the Beta version on a 50 inch TCL Roku.

My issue is one channel in particular, the CBS affiliate, WSPA will simply not load. No matter how many times I reset the box it refuses to play. If it does, it will cut off after about 30 seconds. The CBS channel however works on both my iPad and Android phone.

If I go to Roku Media Player and launch the station from there it says the file may be “damaged or corrupt” and unable to play. Very strange. Most every other channel works.

Thanks again. Otherwise really impressed with HD Homerun.

villaHdHR

Post by villaHdHR » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:47 pm

Has anyone else had their broadcast drop out and return to the program menu? I get this consistently. Sometimes it's after 15-20 minutes and other times it's after two. I have a Connect using an OTA antenna hooked up to a Roku Premire+, all connected via Ethernet. No problems with dropped signals with the Android and Windows apps.

vypergts

Post by vypergts » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 pm

I understand the notes about audio requirements for sound over HDMI but I don't understand why the sound doesn't work through the headphone jack on the roku remote. Would really love to have this working. Thanks!

Neptunetides1983

Post by Neptunetides1983 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:54 am

vypergts wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 pm
I understand the notes about audio requirements for sound over HDMI but I don't understand why the sound doesn't work through the headphone jack on the roku remote. Would really love to have this working. Thanks!
Does the audio work over the remote app ?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am

vypergts wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 pm
If you understand such, it's the same reason... roku does not support ac3, the best it can do is hand off to a device (tv/avr) that does support such.

optikhog

Post by optikhog » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:20 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:17 am
Scheduling isn't the concern so much as the media player not wanting to do trick play. We can make it play a recording the same as it plays live TV, but you don't have any of the useful functions of a DVR like being able to skip past commercials or skip back to replay something you missed.
With all due respect, the Tablo and Plex guys have figured this out. My vague recollection is that they each implemented an alternative media player, but it seems that it can be done.

sspell

Post by sspell » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:58 pm

villaHdHR wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:47 pm
Has anyone else had their broadcast drop out and return to the program menu? I get this consistently. Sometimes it's after 15-20 minutes and other times it's after two. I have a Connect using an OTA antenna hooked up to a Roku Premire+, all connected via Ethernet. No problems with dropped signals with the Android and Windows apps.
Mine has been dropping like that too latest Roku Ultra. Some channels worse than others seen one do it when pixelating seems to be worse on channels that are marginal in reception like it looses the buffer who knows maybe SD does.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:01 pm

optikhog wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:20 pm
With all due respect, the Tablo and Plex guys have figured this out. My vague recollection is that they each implemented an alternative media player, but it seems that it can be done.
TV is TS, internet is generally HLS or DASH. Roku is very anti-TV in what they support (poor mpeg2, no ac3...)

Tablo and plex both output HLS and transcode to h.264 prior to it ever getting to the roku

In theory they could probably make the DVR do some of that work, but most likely lower end units won't be up to the task.