Alternative Guide

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
FuriousGeorge

Alternative Guide

Post by FuriousGeorge » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:51 am

I'm accustomed to being able to scroll through the guide when I want something to watch, and being able to see when a program ends, and when the next program starts. For this reason, I'm not sure that I find the HDHR DVR superior to my non-DVR Verizon STB device.

To expound on that a little, with my STB you can bring up different versions of a grid-style guide, which achieves what I want, while giving me increasing amounts of information at a time. One form of the grid is filtered, so that it will show only channels with movies, or sports, etc.

By contrast, the experience with the HRHR DVR is much clunkier. I'm using the mouse with the HDHR, which I don't mind. I'll hit the wheel to see what's on, and get the current programming for the channels above and below where I am. There's no start or end time, and no summary of any sort. There's a status bar to indicate the current progress into the programming, but without start and end times you don't have enough information to know if, for instance, 50% complete means there is 15 minutes left, or an hour and a half.

Even if that were solved, there isn't much point in knowing what time something you don't want to watch ends, if you don't know what's on next. In short, there's just not enough information presented to the user at a time in the current implementation.

I'd suggest that hitting the wheel should bring up at least a few words of synopsis for the current program, as well as the start and end times, and possibly the channel above and below that. This may be better suited for the bottom of the screen. Also, you should then be able to drill down into for a synopsis, or expand to show a grid-style guide. The image for the current channel should take up around 1/4 of the screen or so, in a corner. This should be abstracted such that the columns or the grid correspond to the time of day. The filtering feature is also nice, in an age where channel numbers go into the thousands, and yet it seems nothing's on.

My former cable company had boxes with more rudimentary software, but had a guide that functioned similarly to the Verizon box. I'd also probably prefer to use it, if I still had it, because even though I may loose time-shifting, I gain on-demand. (I realize it is not SD's fault that this doesn't work with non-STBs). Also, in this era, video on demand comes from streaming services, where you don't need a guide to begin with, and may be the only way to get 4K.

The only nice thing I can find to say about it is that it's pretty, if not very useful. I'm finding myself trying to use the software again, and getting hung up on this again. The EPG implementation doesn't seem to have changed much at all since the last time.

I realize a lot of the shortcomings of using your PC as a PVR are out of SDs control, but the guide is not. No one does it that way (which should be a red flag from the get go), I fail to see how it isn't objectively worse than a grid EPG as it's currently implemented, and I think it needs to be fixed.

rrussis82

Re: Alternative Guide

Post by rrussis82 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am

While I disagree, you have your opinion. I never used a mouse and I do not use a PC to view. I use remotes on AndroidTV and FireTV. with a mix between Slice, and Discovery Suits my needs, may not suit everyones needs but mine are fine. I do agree it should be an option in settings to have a switch between Slice/Discover and Traditional to make everyone happy, and I for one would keep it as it is and not choose traditional. Slice does give you the option to scroll left or right to see what time new shows start and end. if you use a PC try the left and right arrow on your keyboard... I do suggest getting a remote for it tho. I also suggest going with a less energy hogging equipment to use for just viewing live TV, go with an AndroidTV device if you have DRM restrictions, or if no DRM concerns a FireTV (larger than a stick model)

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Post by JeffRand » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:55 am

I agree wholeheartedly with FuriousGeorge. Folks at SiliconDust have said they will be looking at enhancements once they have the new UI implemented. I hope they do, because as it stands, I will keep using WMC until the day it dies.

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:14 pm

[posts from this account are not displayed]

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:46 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am
I do agree it should be an option
Only if it does not increase my monthly recurring fees to allow you to have that option (such as with some other solutions).

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:37 pm

gtb wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:46 pm
rrussis82 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am
I do agree it should be an option
Only if it does not increase my monthly recurring fees to allow you to have that option (such as with some other solutions).
Yes and that too

FuriousGeorge

Post by FuriousGeorge » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:13 pm

As to the suggestion that I use another device, the PC is on anyway, so there is a net energy loss in using a different device.

In the past my 2016 model year Sony AndroidTV had a few problems which made it less ideal than the PC as well, though I have not checked again since the last couple of OS updates.

Presumably the EPG is the same.

I realize you can expand with the keyboard arrows. I could map those to the extra buttons on the mouse to make it easier, or use one of these air mice that are designed to be remotes. That isn't really the issue.

If there was a way to pop it out 3 levels for everything on screen, then that would be good. Then we would just need an option to move it to the bottom of the window. Even if you only showed the current channel and one above and below, it would be a functional mini-guide.