When will DRM recording be available???

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jasonl
Silicondust

Re: When will DRM recording be available???

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:22 pm

It's been like 4 years since I personally had a WMC setup with H.264 cable channels, but my recollection is that WMC always worked fine with DRM H.264 as long as you were using a PC with a real GPU. Intel Graphics only ever worked for them in Windows 8.0, not 7 or 8.1, and of course 8.0 was EOL long before most providers had H.264 channels.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:13 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:22 pm
It's been like 4 years since I personally had a WMC setup with H.264 cable channels, but my recollection is that WMC always worked fine with DRM H.264 as long as you were using a PC with a real GPU. Intel Graphics only ever worked for them in Windows 8.0, not 7 or 8.1, and of course 8.0 was EOL long before most providers had H.264 channels.
Oh...

Hello "jasonl".

It's nice to hear from someone who actually works at SiliconDust!!!

(Now, please read every word of this post, until the end of this post... OK?)

Yes, my HTPC has Intel graphics on the CPU. DRM H.264 will not play on it at all. No video, no audio. It simply will not play.

It's been a long time since I tried it on my XBOX 360's... so I just went and tried playing "Billions" (Showtime, which is copy-protected on Comcast and encoded in H.264 in my area). The XBOX 360 plays it (sort of)... I can hear the audio just fine... but the video only shows one frame every few seconds. I cannot see full-motion video. So... basically, it is unwatchable on the XBOX 360, even though I can hear the audio and see a frame every few seconds.

I'm pretty sure that I tried it back when I had my old rig, which used an nVidia card. It was a Zotac nVidia GT430. I'm pretty sure that copy-protected H.264 didn't work on that system either.

However... Prior to my move from Florida to New Hampshire, I re-purposed that motherboard/video-card/etc to be my desktop system when I built the newer Intel-based system.

Unfortunately, the old nVidia-based system wouldn't boot when I arrived in New Hampshire 3 years ago. I have tried everything except replacing the power supply and the motherboard since then.

It just hasn't been a priority to recover my old nVidia-based system... because... after I arrived in New Hampshire... I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet, along with the "type" cover, a docking station, and a NAS drive... so my Surface tablet has become my tablet, my "laptop" and my "desktop" computer (my docking station is connected to two full-size monitors, a full-size keyboard, a mouse, speakers, etc).

Maybe one day, I will revive my old desktop PC. There is data on that system that I would like to retrieve.

Maybe I can make that old PC play copy-protected H.264 recordings???? Who knows?

However, the question still remains...

WHEN WILL SILICONDUST DVR SUPPORT DRM RECORDINGS???!!!!
^^^^THIS^^^^ is the ONLY thing that matters regarding the Silicondust DVR.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 pm

By the end of 2019.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:24 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:13 pm
WHEN WILL SILICONDUST DVR SUPPORT DRM RECORDINGS???!!!!
^^^^THIS^^^^ is the ONLY thing that matters regarding the Silicondust DVR.
Until your DVR can do this, nothing else matters for me and many other people who have copy-protected channels.

When are you going to fix this???

If you cannot fix this... then T I V O is the only solution.

Do you understand this?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:29 pm

NedS wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 pm
By the end of 2019.
Are you committing to the FACT that DRM recording capability WILL DEFINITELY BE INCLUDED in the Silicondust DVR system by December 31, 2019???

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 pm

NedS wrote:
By the end of 2019.
There are 161 days left until the end of 2019.

Are you CERTAIN???

If you are not ready before the middle of 2020, I will abandon SiliconDust and I will buy a T I V O.

If you make it work by the end of 2019, I will be your customer for life.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:42 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 pm
NedS wrote:
By the end of 2019.

Are you CERTAIN???

If you are not ready before the middle of 2020, I will abandon SiliconDust and I will buy a T I V O.

I can only tell you what I have been told, and that is that we are still aiming to release the PRIME 6 by the end of 2019, and that DRM recording should be ready for the PRIME 6's release. I work remotely, so it's not like I'm in the room with the engineers watching their every move.

I can tell you that, long before I worked for the company I was a kickstarter backer for DVR, and a PRIME user, and have been waiting for DRM support along with everyone else. I'm in the same boat as you guys, and I will be hopping mad if we miss that 2019 deadline ;)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:45 pm

NedS wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:42 pm
barnabas1969 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 pm
NedS wrote:
By the end of 2019.

Are you CERTAIN???

I can only tell you what I have been told, and that is that we are still aiming to release the PRIME 6 by the end of 2019, and that DRM recording should be ready for the PRIME 6's release. I work remotely, so it's not like I'm in the room with the engineers watching their every move.

I can tell you that, long before I worked for the company I was a kickstarter backer for DVR, and a PRIME user, and have been waiting for DRM support along with everyone else. I'm in the same boat as you guys, and I will be hopping mad if we miss that 2019 deadline ;)
So... will DRM recording only work with the new 6-tuner prime, or will it work with the older 3-tuner model?

I'm OK either way. I just want a new DVR that will record everything from my cable provider.

I currently have TWO 3-tuner PRIME tuners. Before I moved from Florida to NH, I also had two 2-tuner OTA SiliconDust Tuners, for a total of 10 tuners. That was when I had 5 TV's, and my kids lived with me... so I needed all 10 tuners. Now, I would be happy with a single device with 6 tuners.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:57 pm

To summarize...

I'm a big fan of SiliconDust.

But, if you don't produce a DVR solution that can record DRM programs from Comcast (VERY SOON), I will dump you and buy a T I V O system that costs a LOT more money... just so I can have a system that works well.

I prefer to have a PC-based system with SiliconDust tuners because it allows me to customize it. But, if you CANNOT provide a system that functions as a basic DVR (including copy-protected channels), then I will have no choice but to abandon you.

Got it???

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:06 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:45 pm
So... will DRM recording only work with the new 6-tuner prime, or will it work with the older 3-tuner model?

I'm OK either way. I just want a new DVR that will record everything from my cable provider.

I currently have TWO 3-tuner PRIME tuners. Before I moved from Florida to NH, I also had two 2-tuner OTA SiliconDust Tuners, for a total of 10 tuners. That was when I had 5 TV's, and my kids lived with me... so I needed all 10 tuners. Now, I would be happy with a single device with 6 tuners.
The DRM support will extend to the original PRIME.

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:37 pm

This must be a joke.

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:08 pm

At least, NedS is one of us...Also some more of SD team maybe, too. Didn’t part of SD move to Phoenix?

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:30 am

If they can guarantee that DRM recording will come out with the Prime 6, then that tells me DRM recording is ready and they're just holding it to certify everything together (probably cheaper).

steven975

Post by steven975 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:33 pm

I'm looking forward to it.

I do development for a living, and I've only had a taste of CableLabs. I don't envy you all one bit.

AFAIC, it's ready when it's ready, and I'm looking forward to it. You guys have more than provided enough value for what I put into the Kickstarter already.

We're kind of nearing the end of the whole QAM paradigm as it is; I stay on it due to the flexibility it gives, but I use IP-based services, too. For my protected channels, I can grab and record off the company sites like HBO etc so it's NBD. To those that want to go spend a grand on a ****, knock yourselves out.

mike808

Post by mike808 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:16 am

Seconded on the CableLabs sympathy. It will be ready when its ready. There's too much to DRM that is completely outside of SD's control.

Almost all the folks barking about DRM have never actually looked into the history and the impossible mess of legal (US and international), patent, copyright, contractual, and CableLabs restrictions that SiliconDust faces. I have no desire to see SiliconDust get sued and prosecuted into oblivion like the now-defunct HDHR Premium TV provider.

If someone really has to have recordings of their cable shows, then using the cable company's DVR is your only legal option. It is exactly the intention of your cable company to have made it that way. Who you should be angry with is your Cable company (and the elected politicions they lobby with) for refusing to allow you to consume content in the way that you want to.

Kickstarter here, and also a T*Vo owner. I don't have DRM content to start with, so I can't say I feel the pain, but I understand it. Avoiding that pain is why I don't pay for DRM content to start with.