When will DRM recording be available???

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
StraightThruTheHeart

Re: When will DRM recording be available???

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:44 am

mike808 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:16 am
Seconded on the CableLabs sympathy. It will be ready when its ready. There's too much to DRM that is completely outside of SD's control.

Almost all the folks barking about DRM have never actually looked into the history and the impossible mess of legal (US and international), patent, copyright, contractual, and CableLabs restrictions that SiliconDust faces. I have no desire to see SiliconDust get sued and prosecuted into oblivion like the now-defunct HDHR Premium TV provider.

If someone really has to have recordings of their cable shows, then using the cable company's DVR is your only legal option. It is exactly the intention of your cable company to have made it that way. Who you should be angry with is your Cable company (and the elected politicions they lobby with) for refusing to allow you to consume content in the way that you want to.

Kickstarter here, and also a T*Vo owner. I don't have DRM content to start with, so I can't say I feel the pain, but I understand it. Avoiding that pain is why I don't pay for DRM content to start with.
It's not DRM that's the holdup... it's the Prime 6 that we're waiting on. They've already promised DRM will come out with Prime 6, you couldn't possibly due that unless it's finished already.

mike808

Post by mike808 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:30 pm

StraightThruTheHeart wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:44 am
mike808 wrote:
Kickstarter here, ...
It's not DRM that's the holdup... it's the Prime 6 that we're waiting on.
You must be new around here. Joined us in June, I see.

DRM has been the holdup from day 1 of the HDHR DVR kickstarter four years ago back in 2015, long before the Prime 6 was even a project.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:59 pm

mike808 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:30 pm
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:44 am
mike808 wrote:
Kickstarter here, ...
It's not DRM that's the holdup... it's the Prime 6 that we're waiting on.
You must be new around here. Joined us in June, I see.

DRM has been the holdup from day 1 of the HDHR DVR kickstarter four years ago back in 2015, long before the Prime 6 was even a project.
The two are entirely independent from a technical standpoint, but they are linked from a business standpoint. The DRM recording support is a lot of work, and needs to be justified by a growing user base, and thus needs new cablecard users, which leads us to the PRIME 6. The PRIME 6 is a hard sell without DRM recording support. The two need each other to be smart business decisions.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:52 am

NedS wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:59 pm
The two are entirely independent from a technical standpoint, but they are linked from a business standpoint. The DRM recording support is a lot of work, and needs to be justified by a growing user base, and thus needs new cablecard users, which leads us to the PRIME 6. The PRIME 6 is a hard sell without DRM recording support. The two need each other to be smart business decisions.
As I suspected... DRM is ready to go but SD won't release it until the PRIME 6 is shipped because SD decided it wasn't in their best interests to just release the DRM by itself, even though that's exactly what they promised.

That's called "moving the goal posts."

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:34 pm

That's not even remotely close to what Ned said.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:52 am
NedS wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:59 pm
As I suspected... DRM is ready to go but SD won't release it until the PRIME 6 is shipped because SD decided it wasn't in their best interests to just release the DRM by itself, even though that's exactly what they promised.

That's called "moving the goal posts."
DRM-DVR is not ready to go.

While DRM-DVR work is supported by the fact that we will continue to have CableCARD users, thanks in part to the PRIME 6, their release dates are independent.

It wouldn't make sense for us to delay DRM-DVR if we had already completed that work, because doing so would decrease the number of DVR subscriptions sold during that time.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:27 am

NedS wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm
It wouldn't make sense for us to delay DRM-DVR if we had already completed that work, because doing so would decrease the number of DVR subscriptions sold during that time.
Color me confused then, because to say it will come out with the Prime 6 which is promised for 2019 would seem to indicate the DRM issues would already need to be resolved.

So that means the Prime 6 could be released without DRM recordability?

Forgive me for reading between the lines, but you guys never just come out and tell us anything.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:53 am

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:27 am
NedS wrote:
Color me confused then, because to say it will come out with the Prime 6 which is promised for 2019 would seem to indicate the DRM issues would already need to be resolved.

Forgive me for reading between the lines, but you guys never just come out and tell us anything.
From what I've been told, it's a simultaneous internal deadline for both DRM recording and the PRIME 6.

mimmic

Post by mimmic » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:05 pm

NedS wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:53 am
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:27 am
NedS wrote:

From what I've been told, it's a simultaneous internal deadline for both DRM recording and the PRIME 6.
Thanks for the info NedS. I stopped using my Prime this January as a result of a move to a location where the cable has a lot of DRM channels. I'm moving again in November to a location that has less DRM channels but still quite a few I'm told. I'm hoping SD will finally release DRM recording by end of year. I'm currently paying for Hulu Live TV and would love to reactivate my DVR subscription.