When will DRM recording be available???

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
barnabas1969

When will DRM recording be available???

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:13 pm

I supported the kickstarter campaign to create the SD DVR. I have been waiting... and waiting... and waiting.

Please tell me when will DRM recording be available.

I am willing to run it on any operating system, and any hardware that is required.

When I paid for the kickstarter... I was on Brighthouse Networks (basically the same as Time Warner/Spectrum)... so almost everything was DRM.

I moved to New Hampshire in 2016... and I am on Comcast now. Thankfully, Comcast only copy-protects the premium channels, and the only premium channel that I subscribe to is Showtime.

I am camping on Windows 7 Media Center, and I can watch Showtime on the Showtime Anytime app on my Roku.

But... really...

It has been a LONG, LONG time waiting for DRM recording on the Silicondust DVR!!!

Frankly, I am considering the purchase of T I V O equipment so that I can just watch TV like a normal person.
(funny... the word T I V O was blocked unless I spelled it with spaces between each letter)

When the hell is Silicondust going to release the ability to record DRM channels?!?!?!?!?!

I have been patient. But, my Win7 setup is getting very long-in-the-tooth.

I'm tired of waiting.

I'm almost finished waiting for this BS.

Does anyone remember the failure of the Ceton Echo? I do. I was a beta tester. It was the worst piece of crap that I have ever tested.

I'm beginning to believe that Silicondust is INCAPABLE of delivering on their promises. I have always appreciated the quality of Silicondust tuners.. Their tuners were much better than the tuners from Ceton. But now... I am thinking that their DVR will never record DRM content.

barnabas1969

Re: When will DRM recording be available???

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:31 pm

One more thing...

Comcast encodes Showtime (and other premium channels) in h.264. Windows Media Center is not able to play DRM content that is encoded in h.264.

This is why I am forced to use the Roku app for Showtime Anytime so that I can watch shows and movies on Showtime.

I **COULD** start using Silicondust DVR instead of using Windows Media Center... and I would have the same shows recorded.

But why would I change to SD DVR with zero benefit???

If Silicondust wants my money... Silicondust needs to fix this problem. Their DVR needs to be able to RECORD programs that are copy-protected (DRM).

Otherwise, I will just buy a system from T I V O.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:09 pm

IIRC, the H.264/DRM issue is an Intel driver issue, not WMC related.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:12 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:09 pm
IIRC, the H.264/DRM issue is an Intel driver issue, not WMC related.
Most of the time when it is an issue that is correct but there are also a few comcast markets (not all
Comcast markets) that encode h.264 in such a way that even changing video card doesn't help. If it isn't protected content one can try other codecs/filters.

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:55 pm

FWIW Comcast in the Seattle area delivers all cable stations in H264 (no DRM) and it works well on Plex and HDHR DVR. HBO is DRMed though

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 am

[removed by moderator]

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm

I know all about the driver issue. The issue was that certain video drivers couldn't handle H.264 at all... even on non-DRM content. As it turned out, nobody could play DRM H.264 in Media Center, no matter what drivers they were using.

Does anyone have any info about when HDHR DVR will record DRM channels?

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:42 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm
Does anyone have any info about when HDHR DVR will record DRM channels?
Those who do know, aren't gonna tell us until they are ready.

MinistryOfMagic

Post by MinistryOfMagic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:30 pm

One thing I learned from SiliconDust is you don't talk about DRM, competing products or how you really feel about their products. I tried to offer my own opinions about their DVR and it was removed due to Forum Rules.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 am

MinistryOfMagic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:30 pm
One thing I learned from SiliconDust is you don't talk about DRM, competing products or how you really feel about their products. I tried to offer my own opinions about their DVR and it was removed due to Forum Rules.
I'm guilty. see above.

Let me see if I can say this:

It has been said that DRM capabilities will be released in tandem with the Prime 6. 8-)

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 pm

[posts from this account are not displayed]

mike808

Post by mike808 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:24 pm

OP,
I am a kickstarter backer too. How many years have you received free DVR guide service from SD? From my perspective, well worth the kickstarter.

Basically, SD's hands are tied, legally, by the cable industry. The cable cabal is loath to certify any more cablecard devices that aren't cable operators themselves. The only reason they approved SD's original Prime devices was merely to prove to the government that legally, they weren't really a monopoly industry syndicate engaged in price-fixing and market manipulation. I want SD to stick around and keep making great devices. So I appreciate them not getting sued into oblivion and not cutting corners on DRM.

Go ahead and get a T-I-V-O. I have one (along with several generations of HDHRs with a Quatro and an Extend now - 6 tuners on Win10), but since you are a cable subscriber and I am an OTA person, you'll need to pony up for the far more expensive models that you can transfer your cablecards to from your SD Prime devices. SD will not build devices that bypass DRM protections in the DMCA for you or anyone else (which is what CableLabs is certifying is not possible for cable card devices like TVs and the cable company's DVR devices (e.g. Scientific Atlanta DVRs). Working through all of the legal quagmire of DRM and content providers may never happen. You being mad about that doesn't change anything.

If there are DRM shows you just have to have your own copy of and on-demand streaming is just too much for you, I'm pretty sure there are places on the interwebs where that kind of content can be found.

FYI - my T-vo and my SD devices get along just fine - we use the T-vo for time-shifting shows and live pausing, and the SD tuners to record our binge watching, PBS shows, and movies (OTA). Everything else is on Netflix or Amazon Prime or Hulu. And we're still coming out ahead with just internet service and streaming costs over cable. The T-vo paid for itself in three months going complete OTA. The HDHR Quatro and Extend have long since delivered their value with the Kickstarter.

jboymichelstein

Post by jboymichelstein » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:23 am

So they are working on Roku OTA for their new devices. DRM recording wherefore art thou?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 am

jboymichelstein wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:23 am
So they are working on Roku OTA for their new devices. DRM recording wherefore art thou?
You appear to making the assumption that they are taking resources from X to do Y making X later. Perhaps *you* can't walk and chew gum at the same time, but real companies can resource staff as needed for specific deliverables (for a new platform it would not be unusual to contract out certain parts of the development, for example). Different projects require different expertise and take different resources to complete. Sometimes you can redirect otherwise idle resources to something else, but someone who is good at (say) secure platform design is less likely to be a great Roku UI designer, and while they may be able to accomplish it, it tends not to be a core competency, which is a waste of human capital.

jboymichelstein

Post by jboymichelstein » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:41 am

gtb wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 am
jboymichelstein wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:23 am
You appear to making the assumption that they are taking resources from X to do Y making X later. Perhaps *you* can't walk and chew gum at the same time, but real companies can resource staff as needed for specific deliverables (for a new platform it would not be unusual to contract out certain parts of the development, for example). Different projects require different expertise and take different resources to complete. Sometimes you can redirect otherwise idle resources to something else, but someone who is good at (say) secure platform design is less likely to be a great Roku UI designer, and while they may be able to accomplish it, it tends not to be a core competency, which is a waste of human capital.
Not sure how you got that impression. Just trying to get the conversation/answers going. I know you can have more than 1 developer or developer team.