HDHR DVR -> MCEBuddy -> Plex Config?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Post Reply
tachtevrenidis
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:36 am

HDHR DVR -> MCEBuddy -> Plex Config?

Post by tachtevrenidis » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:00 am

I would like to post-process and move movies recorded by the HDHR DVR to my Plex library. Has anybody figured out how to use regular expressions inside of MCEBuddy for this specific thing? It seems like movies in HDHR DVR are saved as "<MovieName> <ReleaseDate>[<RecordDate>].mpg". I think ultimately this needs to be renamed to "<MovieName> (<ReleaseDateYear>).mpg" to be identified right in Plex.

Let me know if there is anyone already doing this?

T

elabra
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 2:32 pm
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491
Location: Atlanta, Ga USA

Re: HDHR DVR -> MCEBuddy -> Plex Config?

Post by elabra » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:07 pm

I just manually rename it after it records but would be interested if there is an automated way to do it with MCE Buddy and regular expressions.

rrussis82
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: HDHR DVR -> MCEBuddy -> Plex Config?

Post by rrussis82 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Plex sees all my HDHR recordings as they are, I just pointed plex to the HDHR recording folder. So there shouldn't be any need to rename.

ACraigo
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:32 pm
Device ID: 1062E8EE
Location: Deep Canyon in WV (by God)

Re: HDHR DVR -> MCEBuddy -> Plex Config?

Post by ACraigo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:47 pm

tachtevrenidis wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:00 am
I would like to post-process and move movies recorded by the HDHR DVR to my Plex library. Has anybody figured out how to use regular expressions inside of MCEBuddy for this specific thing? It seems like movies in HDHR DVR are saved as "<MovieName> <ReleaseDate>[<RecordDate>].mpg". I think ultimately this needs to be renamed to "<MovieName> (<ReleaseDateYear>).mpg" to be identified right in Plex.

Let me know if there is anyone already doing this?

T
Use the 'Custom Renaming' feature of MCEBuddy to place movies and tv shows into their respective Plex Libraries - example (using my string):

Code: Select all

%ismovie%<MCEB-Movies\%showname% (%airyear%),MCEB-TV\%showname%\Season %season%##\%showname% - S%season%##E%episode%## - %episodename%>
Processes and copies files from HDHR storage to one of 'my libraries':
F:\MCEB-TV
or
F:\MCEB-Movies
It should be fairly obvious what to change if you don't want to name your Plex Library folders what I've named them...

Goes here:

Image

Yes, you will have to edit to correct Movie dates due to inadequate naming (not all, but plenty) and you'll get your share of bad initial matches, but it does work well enough and often enough to use it. At Least, all (well, most) of your TV shows will go into the TV Show Library, but occasionally you'll find a bogus movie in the TV Show folder and vice-versa. MCEBuddy will be better behaved if you use the latest Donator Version as they have improved matching, but that does require fairly accurate initial naming from the source and at this time that will be something of a challenge.
rrussis82 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Plex sees all my HDHR recordings as they are, I just pointed plex to the HDHR recording folder. So there shouldn't be any need to rename.
I can't stress strongly enough how BAD an idea that is.
NEVER use HDHR storage as a Plex Library.
ALWAYS split movies and tv shows into appropriate library types for use in the Plexiverse.
(Movies will NOT work in a TV Show Library, TV Shows will NOT work in a Movie Library)

tachtevrenidis
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:36 am

Re: HDHR DVR -> MCEBuddy -> Plex Config?

Post by tachtevrenidis » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 am

thanks for that! I tried using %premiereyear% as I saw it suggested somewhere else and it did not work. I will try this tonight!

Re: the whole 'point your Plex library to the HDHR Recordings folder', I think this might work for movies, but I don't see how it would work for TV shows.

thanks again!

groundhog22
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: HDHR DVR -> MCEBuddy -> Plex Config?

Post by groundhog22 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:30 am

Actually the current Plex interprets file names pretty well from the HDHR paths and does not get too confused. Just include the following in the recording directory as a file called (remember the leading dot)

.plexignore

Code: Select all

Movies/*
Live TV/*
And then point the Plex TV library to the base HDHomeRun recording path, and Movies to the HDHomeRun/Movies path to keep the library content segregated.
Usually no renaming is required. When premium TV was still running, no trans-coding was required either.

ACraigo
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:32 pm
Device ID: 1062E8EE
Location: Deep Canyon in WV (by God)

Re: HDHR DVR -> MCEBuddy -> Plex Config?

Post by ACraigo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:03 am

tachtevrenidis wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 am
thanks for that! I tried using %premiereyear% as I saw it suggested somewhere else and it did not work. I will try this tonight!

Re: the whole 'point your Plex library to the HDHR Recordings folder', I think this might work for movies, but I don't see how it would work for TV shows.

thanks again!
The problem using dynamic file locations (items in the process of being created) is that Plex will likely at some point (guaranteed) start indexing files that aren't complete. When that happens ur in a world of hurt. Database corruption, bundle corruption, files that won't play, aren't visible, are visible, but exist in other ethereal planes, no audio, no video, etc, ad nausium.

Yes, doing so may work, and it may work right up until the time it doesn't work. Every Plex Ninja/Employee/Veteran User will tell you NOT to use your dynamic storage location as a Plex Library under any circumstances! Using Plex is like defusing a bomb in that you're constantly right on the edge of blowing it up. Plex Veterans KNOW NOT to push the envelope. Properly named and structured material keeps Plex Freak-Outs to a minimum. Plex will probably Freak-Out on it's own in a minute, best not try to confuse it.

MCEBuddy (donator version) will process (or not) files that arrive complete, renaming them and copying them to proper Plex Libraries. It's painless, almost, but a LOT less painless than the bad things that can happen when one doesn't follow the instructions.

mike808
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: HDHR DVR -> MCEBuddy -> Plex Config?

Post by mike808 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm

To add on to ACraigo's excellent advice is that a huge benefit to the MCEBuddy Donator version is that you can strip ads and it can also convert from the raw MPEG2 (MPEG4 if you have an Extend, which you should disable anyway if you're transcoding it with MCEBuddy) and transcode it into H.265 HEVC and in MKV containers.

Plex is pretty braindead with local meta-data (won't use NFO files), and will lookup everything on IMDB, while MCEBuddy will embed what it finds in either IMDB or TVDB, including upfront posters for the show, right into the file. If you're using something else like Emby or Kodi, you'll want MCEBuddy to create the NFO files as well.

For comparison, a 1-hour 1080i/720p show clocks in at 5GB/hr with the HDDVR. MCEBuddy rips that down to about 20% of that with H.265 and it still looks good. Definitely worth it to get the MCEBuddy donator (paid) version. Updates are still coming out every month or so, so it is still actively being developed.

ACraigo
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:32 pm
Device ID: 1062E8EE
Location: Deep Canyon in WV (by God)

Re: HDHR DVR -> MCEBuddy -> Plex Config?

Post by ACraigo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:34 pm

mike808 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm
To add on to ACraigo's excellent advice is that a huge benefit to the MCEBuddy Donator version is that you can strip ads and it can also convert from the raw MPEG2 (MPEG4 if you have an Extend, which you should disable anyway if you're transcoding it with MCEBuddy) and transcode it into H.265 HEVC and in MKV containers.

Plex is pretty braindead with local meta-data (won't use NFO files), and will lookup everything on IMDB, while MCEBuddy will embed what it finds in either IMDB or TVDB, including upfront posters for the show, right into the file. If you're using something else like Emby or Kodi, you'll want MCEBuddy to create the NFO files as well.

For comparison, a 1-hour 1080i/720p show clocks in at 5GB/hr with the HDDVR. MCEBuddy rips that down to about 20% of that with H.265 and it still looks good. Definitely worth it to get the MCEBuddy donator (paid) version. Updates are still coming out every month or so, so it is still actively being developed.
Another great thing about the paid version is that it will mark and remove ads without doing anything except recoding the frames around the edits, saving a whole lot of time - if you don't need a complete stream recode. The 'Unprocessed' profiles are real time savers if you can use them.

Post Reply