HD Homerun View not working - pcnetwrx

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
pcnetwrx

HD Homerun View not working - pcnetwrx

Post by pcnetwrx » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:00 am

I am having this exact same problem with Windows 7 Hdhomerun View and my HDHR3-US. It works fine in Windows Media Center and it works in Hdhomerun Setup when I click on a channel--it brings it up in VLC fine. But when I try to use Hdhomerun View it never activates the channel on the device (no LED lit for the tuner). It thinks it is playing the channel with a progress bar on the bottom, but it's just black and no audio. I would really like to transition away from WMC (like how much longer will they support that platform?) and into the Hdhomerun DVR. But if it won't work with live TV then I can't do that. This problem is occurring on both of my Windows 7 computers on my network. I have scanned channels again, updated VLC, and have the latest Hdhomerun Windows software. The firmware on the device is 20170930 and it is not prompting me to do an update. My internet is a cable connection through Mediacom and my computers and the tuner device are hard wired to the LAN (not Wi-Fi). Turning off Windows Firewall makes no difference. Can someone give me some insight into why this doesn't work when WMC has no problem at all? I swear it used to work about a year ago but no longer does using the latest View software.

rrussis82

Re: HD Homerun View not working

Post by rrussis82 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:32 am

pcnetwrx wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:00 am
I am having this exact same problem with Windows 7 Hdhomerun View and my HDHR3-US. It works fine in Windows Media Center and it works in Hdhomerun Setup when I click on a channel--it brings it up in VLC fine. But when I try to use Hdhomerun View it never activates the channel on the device (no LED lit for the tuner). It thinks it is playing the channel with a progress bar on the bottom, but it's just black and no audio. I would really like to transition away from WMC (like how much longer will they support that platform?) and into the Hdhomerun DVR. But if it won't work with live TV then I can't do that. This problem is occurring on both of my Windows 7 computers on my network. I have scanned channels again, updated VLC, and have the latest Hdhomerun Windows software. The firmware on the device is 20170930 and it is not prompting me to do an update. My internet is a cable connection through Mediacom and my computers and the tuner device are hard wired to the LAN (not Wi-Fi). Turning off Windows Firewall makes no difference. Can someone give me some insight into why this doesn't work when WMC has no problem at all? I swear it used to work about a year ago but no longer does using the latest View software.
Can you view it on another computer or device? https://www.silicondust.com/support/troubleshooting/ Looks like Windows 7 does not support it. If you have DVR all live TV goes through the DVR. I used Windows 7 as my DVR Engine but never tried to use View with it. It is suggested to try to use Kodi on Windows 7.
Also could the channels be DRM? I don't believe Windows 7 supports DRM in the View APP

pcnetwrx

Post by pcnetwrx » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:17 am

rrussis82 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:32 am
Can you view it on another computer or device? https://www.silicondust.com/support/troubleshooting/ Looks like Windows 7 does not support it. If you have DVR all live TV goes through the DVR. I used Windows 7 as my DVR Engine but never tried to use View with it. It is suggested to try to use Kodi on Windows 7.
Also could the channels be DRM? I don't believe Windows 7 supports DRM in the View APP
I can view it on my iPhone through the app. And as I mentioned it works fine using Windows Media Center. I suppose it could be a DRM problem since it is clearQAM cable. I may look into Kodi.

So you are thinking if I purchased the DVR subscription that it would work in Windows 7? I thought the DVR on Windows 7 was just the same View software with the DVR part enabled which was why I was concerned about getting the subscription since it wasn't working live.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:22 pm

pcnetwrx wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:17 am

I can view it on my iPhone through the app. And as I mentioned it works fine using Windows Media Center. I suppose it could be a DRM problem since it is clearQAM cable. I may look into Kodi.

So you are thinking if I purchased the DVR subscription that it would work in Windows 7? I thought the DVR on Windows 7 was just the same View software with the DVR part enabled which was why I was concerned about getting the subscription since it wasn't working live.
No I was not saying that, I assumed you had the DVR and was stating that with a DVR subscription all live TV goes through the DVR software for the purpose of time shifting instead of relying on the client device RAM for time shifting and that that could have been one issue.

If it is DRM a good way to find out is going to the my.hdhomerun.com site and look at the channel lineup, it would indicate if it is DRM. and iOS can view DRM but I don't believe Windows 7 can.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HD Homerun View not working - pcnetwrx

Post by jasonl » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:19 pm

DRM is not applicable to HDHR3-US or clear QAM channel. It can only ever be a thing on HDHomeRun PRIME with a CableCARD.

The Windows 7 app is live TV only, and the HDHR3-US does not work with the DVR. If you're looking to move to the DVR, you'll need a new device, and once you have that you'll either need to move to Windows 10 or use Kodi with the HDHomeRun add-on.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:46 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:19 pm
DRM is not applicable to HDHR3-US or clear QAM channel. It can only ever be a thing on HDHomeRun PRIME with a CableCARD.

The Windows 7 app is live TV only, and the HDHR3-US does not work with the DVR. If you're looking to move to the DVR, you'll need a new device, and once you have that you'll either need to move to Windows 10 or use Kodi with the HDHomeRun add-on.
Ahh the 3 threw me off into thinking Prime

pcnetwrx

Post by pcnetwrx » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:48 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:19 pm

So if the Windows 7 app works with live TV only on my device, then why am I not getting it to utilize a tuner when using VIEW on my Windows 7 system?

And what new device works with Clear QAM cable signals like this device does? I don't really see any of your devices that advertise that feature anymore.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:36 pm

Do you have the 32 bit version of VLC installed?

All US HDHomeRun models support clear QAM. It is no longer advertised as a feature since the vast majority of cable providers have eliminated clear QAM channels and it was confusing to people. Additionally, guide listings (and DVR functionality) are only available on clear QAM when the broadcaster is sending identifying PSIP data (the channels show up with proper names and numbers, not "unknown").

pcnetwrx

Post by pcnetwrx » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:59 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:36 pm
Do you have the 32 bit version of VLC installed?

All US HDHomeRun models support clear QAM. It is no longer advertised as a feature since the vast majority of cable providers have eliminated clear QAM channels and it was confusing to people. Additionally, guide listings (and DVR functionality) are only available on clear QAM when the broadcaster is sending identifying PSIP data (the channels show up with proper names and numbers, not "unknown").
VLC doesn't really say if it's 32 bit or 64 bit but I would assume 64 bit. I don't really see where they offer the 32 bit version for download now. Do you think that would make a difference in actually activating a tuner (i.e. turn on the LED on the device for the tuner being in use)?

My clear QAM does have the correct PSIP data.

As a test, I substituted an HDHR4-2US for the HDHR3-US and the VIEW started working fine with that. I put back the HDHR3-US and it went back to not working with VIEW. So since I need to upgrade to the HDHR4-2US anyway for the DVR to work, I guess that answers that and I will go ahead and trade it out permanently. Hopefully my cable company will continue to provide clear QAM with the correct PSIP data. Thank you for your help and insight.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:07 pm

It could matter, yes. The View app for Windows 7 is 32 bit, even on a 64 bit OS, so it has to be 32 bit VLC. VLC seems to randomly decide if you get a 32 or 64 bit download for Windows. I would just pull it direct from their FTP so you can be sure you get win32 instead of win64.