straight up....can I ...

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jusbo20

straight up....can I ...

Post by jusbo20 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Spectrum here in Charlotte, NC has everything DRM. Can I watch and record with my Nvidia Shield (with the HDHomeRun app) and prime (updated firmware of course) as of now?

rrussis82

Re: straight up....can I ...

Post by rrussis82 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:28 pm

as of right now, you can only view DRM on an Nvidia Shield (and other certified Android device, Windows 10 Devices, and iOS devices) using HD's View APP and Live Channels in AndroidTV. You can record but not watch the DRM recording on anything so the recording is useless. You can use the ancient method of Windows Media Center which limits you to only other WMC or certified extenders to record and watch DRM.

jusbo20

Post by jusbo20 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:25 pm

well that's good news. I only plan on watching the recorded DRM content on my Nvidia Shield. I've invested in the prime and shield already so I don't want to pay $8 a month to use their DVR, which is terrible. thanks for the info!

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Wait What?! Please reread what I wrote... You cannot view a recording of DRM at all on any device through the SD APP... only on Windows Media Center using windows 7 or 8.1 as long as it was recorded on WMC

You can view DRM (meaning Live TV) on an Nvidia Shield. DRM recording is not there at all (like I said, you can record anything, but you cannot watch the recording on anything so it is USELESS)

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:34 pm

In other words, though the engine can (seemingly) make a recording of a DRM channel, the resulting file the stream is encrypted with no decoding keys actually kept anywhere so you end up with a useless file with the only purpose of taking up drive space and not allowing a subsequent recording from a non-drm channel as it already has recorded it. It is expected that by the end of the year, SD will have DRM support for recording as well, but whether that feature actually comes this year remains to be seen so currently if DRM recording is important to you, this is not (currently) the solution as one would need to use WMC, preferably windows 7 though 8.x can work with added license.

So for all practical purposes, at this time, for what most people mean by can it record, DRM content can't be recorded with the engine and such recording viewed by the app.

As stated Live TV can be viewed on the shield (and may even have some buffer for trick play depending on available RAM).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 pm

I believe that the change in the 20190417 DVR release to prevent it from trying to buffer DRM channels also blocks recordings from DRM channels.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm

That would be great... I usually set all my rules as ChannelOnly since "all" my channels are DRM so I have not seen if it currently behaves that way. I just wish there were a way to specify 15 and 15.1 for channel only then it can use the primes as well (if needed) as only the "OTA" available channels are not DRM.

jusbo20

Post by jusbo20 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:34 pm

rrussis82: Thank you for the clarification. I couldn't convince the wife either way.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:02 pm

jusbo20 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:34 pm
rrussis82: Thank you for the clarification. I couldn't convince the wife either way.
SD has mentioned when the Prime 6 comes out all Primes it will have support for recording DRM. Since your wife does not giver her blessing right now you could always wait for the prime 6 to come out, if you do not already have a Prime, get an original Prime off Ebay (i'm sure the market will be flooded with them once the Prime 6 comes out and at a reasonable price) and do a test in your home. Once she sees it and then sees the potential on how much money is saved monthly (for me it cuts out the $10 HD Technology fee, the 2 $11 for a second and third cable box, the $11 DVR fee, and Comcast gives me $2.50 credit.) she may change her mind. get a Jetstream from Walmart for $69.00 per box for each TV you want to use (Jetstream is a certified AndroidTV box that will allow DRM) and use an old laptop for DVR to start with. She may come around.

So very little investment to start small to show her the system, a Prime 3 off Ebay, A Jetstream from Walmart*, a laptop or older computer for DVR, the $35 yearly DVR fee, and a cablecard from your provider.

If it convinces her then you can start the larger investments into the Prime 6, a Servio or Nas, and more DRM certified devices. (All said and done your ROI will not be very long) For me spending a one time few hundred dollars to save $45.50 a month was well worth it.

*you may not need to get a Jetstream if you already have a certified AndroidTV device, a HTPC running Windows 10, or an Xbox One console.

*EDIT* I just noticed in your original post you have an Nvidia Shield, and in another post that you already have some sort of HDHomerun setup. So once the Prime 6 comes out and DRM recording is available, it makes it easier for you to sell the idea to your wife.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:20 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 pm
I believe that the change in the 20190417 DVR release to prevent it from trying to buffer DRM channels also blocks recordings from DRM channels.
Jason,

The HD HomeRun DVR is a flaming turd unless and until it supports recording copy-protected (DRM) channels.

I have been waiting semi-patiently for several years. WHEN will you support recording copy-protected channels?!?!?!?!

I am still camping on Windows 7 until you get this working.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:56 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:20 pm
jasonl wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 pm
Jason,

The HD HomeRun DVR is a flaming turd unless and until it supports recording copy-protected (DRM) channels.

I have been waiting semi-patiently for several years. WHEN will you support recording copy-protected channels?!?!?!?!

I am still camping on Windows 7 until you get this working.
We all want DRM recording abilities but coming out and saying the DVR is a "flaming turd" is a bit harsh. I happen to enjoy the DVR with or without DRM recording. The first rule of buying a product is to never purchase it with what it can do in the future, because things happen. Do you publicly go to Plex, Emby, or Kodi and insult their product because last I checked, they also do not support DRM.