View for Linux?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
speedingcheetah

View for Linux?

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:50 pm

I am trying to find the HDHomeRun VIEW (?) app/software version for use in Linux.
I was using the app from Windows Store just fine, but I am now trying to dump Windows and use Linux Mint.

I have found the thread for getting the Record DVR software installed and working. That works fine on my media server system.
But I can't seem to find the Linux version of the same Win 10 like View app for use on my other computers....only the GUI config for the raw tuner.

The main website advertises Linux support...but the download page and link is just for the config and not the same app/experience you get with the Win app.

Also, the HDHR config is already in the Mint Software Manager.
When i try to install via the commands listed on the download page....the last step sudo make install....gives (ignoring request to make install).

rpcameron

Re: View for Linux?

Post by rpcameron » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:07 pm

For first-party support, your only option is their Kodi plugin which runs on Linux.

For third-party support, most any media player that accepts HTTP or RTP MPEG2 TS streams will work. (I regularly use mpv and vlc without issue.) For DVR software running on Linux, I have successfully used MythTV, Tvheadend and Channels DVR all without problems.

Be aware, though, that no Linux client will support DRM protected cable feeds. (DRM is different from encrypted; encrypted cable feeds are supported with a properly paired CableCARD.)

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:12 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:07 pm
For first-party support, your only option is their Kodi plugin which runs on Linux.

For third-party support, most any media player that accepts HTTP or RTP MPEG2 TS streams will work. (I regularly use mpv and vlc without issue.) For DVR software running on Linux, I have successfully used MythTV, Tvheadend and Channels DVR all without problems.

Be aware, though, that no Linux client will support DRM protected cable feeds. (DRM is different from encrypted; encrypted cable feeds are supported with a properly paired CableCARD.)
I am not understanding what you are meaning.

This isnt third party....it is the offical software from SD is it not?
https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/

Same with the WIn 10 app, it is from SD, not someone else.

And what u mean only option is a Kodi plugin?

Says right on the HDHR website:

Supported on many devices and platforms:
Our app for watching Live TV is available on all your favorite platforms

That is the Linux icon among the others.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Kodi is a cross-platform media application available for many different platforms, including Linux. Kodi allows for the installation of additional "add-ons" that extend the built-in functionality of the base software. One such add-on is created by SiliconDust, and is essentially a cross-platform version of their View software that builds upon Kodi's infrastructure.

(As far as I am aware, SiliconDust's official Kodi add-on has feature parity with other clients, save for the ability to view DRM content.)

For more information about SiliconDust's Kodi add-on, check the subforum: Kodi Community Development.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:10 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:51 pm
Kodi is a cross-platform media application available for many different platforms, including Linux. Kodi allows for the installation of additional "add-ons" that extend the built-in functionality of the base software. One such add-on is created by SiliconDust, and is essentially a cross-platform version of their View software that builds upon Kodi's infrastructure.

(As far as I am aware, SiliconDust's official Kodi add-on has feature parity with other clients, save for the ability to view DRM content.)

For more information about SiliconDust's Kodi add-on, check the subforum: Kodi Community Development.
I get what a plug in or addon is for Kodi....but I am not using Kodi....I am using the HDhome run software...and according to the SD website, there should be a official HDHome run app for regular linux.

https://www.silicondust.com/live-tv/

on the bottom ish of that page...the green download part. shows linux icon and to download the HDHR app...NOT a "Kodi plugin".

https://imgur.com/yhUC7Ua

I already have Emby setup, but thier software is currently broken for playback. I am not loking for third party support plugin...

I am wanting the native app that is the one I have used on Windows.....the SD website advertises that it exists for Linux same as Mac and Win.....how hard is that to understand?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:25 pm

There is not a native app for Linux; support for Linux is through the Kodi add-on.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:25 pm
There is not a native app for Linux; support for Linux is through the Kodi add-on.
I see.

Well then....please consider editing your website and product pages to make that more clear and remove the Linux Penguin logo from your parts showing and linking to the native app.
As it stands, it advertises that u do have a native app for Linux.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:46 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 pm
jasonl wrote:
I see.

Well then....please consider editing your website and product pages to make that more clear and remove the Linux Penguin logo from your parts showing and linking to the native app.
Actually, nowhere on that site does it specifically say there is a version of HDHomeRun for Linux. If you follow the links to see the listing of devices supported, there is no separate app listed.

Also, if you want to be pedantic, all versions of Android use the Linux kernel. Therefore, SiliconDust does technically ship a first-party app that runs on the Linux kernel, you just need to be using Android or FireOS as your operating system instead of Mint or another Debian/Ubuntu derivative distribution.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:59 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:46 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 pm
jasonl wrote:
I see.

Actually, nowhere on that site does it specifically say there is a version of HDHomeRun for Linux. If you follow the links to see the listing of devices supported, there is no separate app listed.

Also, if you want to be pedantic, all versions of Android use the Linux kernel. Therefore, SiliconDust does technically ship a first-party app that runs on the Linux kernel, you just need to be using Android or FireOS as your operating system instead of Mint or another Debian/Ubuntu derivative distribution.
Do u not see the image i linked to??

the page clearly says:
"Download or free application for computers"

Apple Win Linux (logos)

To a customer, this is clear....these 3 platforms is supported.
Same as with other softwares, like Plex...etc.

Android and FireOS do NOT use the Linux Penguin logo.....so your technicality does not apply here.

Yes, further in and on other pages, there is a list of requirements and Linux is not listed, but one should not have to dig around a company site to find such info.
I am just pointing out, there is conflicting info on the SD site.

Don't imply or advertise in words or a image that ur software app works on Linux "computers" if there is no such support.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi,

The HDHomeRun was originally designed to work with MyhtTV on Linux. Windows support came later.

We fully support Linux using MythTV as the DVR, using the HDHomeRun DVR backend for Linux, and using the Kodi front end for the HDHomeRun DVR on Linux.

Nick

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:16 pm

nickk wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:10 pm
Hi,

The HDHomeRun was originally designed to work with MyhtTV on Linux. Windows support came later.

We fully support Linux using MythTV as the DVR, using the HDHomeRun DVR backend for Linux, and using the Kodi front end for the HDHomeRun DVR on Linux.

Nick
ok....so...why so complicated with multiple things you have to install and setup?

Why can't there just be a native direct access HDHomeRun app like in windows and Mac where u have the live tv and guide, for linux then eh?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:42 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:16 pm
nickk wrote:
Hi,

Nick
ok....so...why so complicated with multiple things you have to install and setup?

Why can't there just be a native direct access HDHomeRun app like in windows and Mac where u have the live tv and guide, for linux then eh?
Because Windows and macOS are single targets with a single package type for distribution/installation. On Linux, you need to juggle .deb (for Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.), .rpm (for Red Hat/RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, etc.), and .tgz (for distributions that use neither). Also, managing the necessary dependencies would be a nightmare as different distributions have wildly different library versions; if you think Windows' DLL hell was annoying, that's nothing compared to trying to support different Linux desktop systems.

Besides, if you've ever tried to navigate SiliconDust's site trying to find a direct download link for a particular firmware version, you'd realize what a fool's errand asking for a packaged View app is. (SD's general reply when asking for firmware files is to download the macOS or Windows full setup packages, which doesn't do any good when every computer in your household runs some version of Linux or BSD.)

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:42 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:16 pm
nickk wrote:
Hi,

Nick

Because Windows and macOS are single targets with a single package type for distribution/installation. On Linux, you need to juggle .deb (for Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.), .rpm (for Red Hat/RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, etc.), and .tgz (for distributions that use neither). Also, managing the necessary dependencies would be a nightmare as different distributions have wildly different library versions; if you think Windows' DLL hell was annoying, that's nothing compared to trying to support different Linux desktop systems.
So what? Many companies, and even individual developers, who make their cross platform software in their free time, manage to do it just fine.
No reason why a company like SD cant.

One click install, or single bundled packages exist for most linux versions...i have used several. Including ones in this category of software.
There also is the Package Managers front ends that make things easy for the user to just search and click install.
Yes, it requires work from the dev(s) to make things that way...SD is just lazy then...but as to how one OS is different than the other, is not an excuse.
Especially since this is a paid, for profit, software and devices.
There is also a level of automation that can be applied to the build, update, and distribution of the various packages and builds, once the initial creation of the products are made. So, it becomes less work and effort.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Post by GGRussell » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 am

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 pm
That could be debated. The software is free. Anyone can download and install it. What you 'pay for' is the DVR service and TV Guide data.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:25 am

GGRussell wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 am
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 pm
That could be debated. The software is free. Anyone can download and install it. What you 'pay for' is the DVR service and TV Guide data.
:roll:
Anyone can downloaded it, but not anyone can use it.

...you have to pay for the SD hardware....in oder to use the "free" software....that only works on this exact, proprietary hardware...don't forget.