Mi box vs jetstream box

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
crashnburn

Mi box vs jetstream box

Post by crashnburn » Sat May 25, 2019 1:34 pm

It looks like my seller may be an Ebay scammer for the crap box I asked about. Is there any big difference between the mi box vs the jetstream box? I like the connections and expandability of the jetstream. My wifi is decent but I can run the jetstream box wired through my powerline network. Also I see more USB connections along with adding a microsd slot which mi box lacks. People mention adding storage with a USB drive but I only see one port on the mi box. Other than these differences they seem similar in reviews I have read. Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Mi box vs jetstream box

Post by signcarver » Sat May 25, 2019 2:09 pm

I happen to like the jetstream, for me, no real issues. When the mibox first came out, it was the only device I would trust using via wifi, updates to that, as well as subsequent "model" releases, have since crippled such for me but for some they are working again however, I prefer wired connections and of all the android boxes I have tried, the mibox still seems to be worse when using any of my usb ethernet adapters (thus why I often used it with wifi).

One thing that did happen with my jetstream and samsung tv was CEC went out... I found out later, this was a samsung issue and to fix, one had to disconnect and then pull the power of the samsung tv for an hour (some say 5-15 minutes but that never seems to do it)

For most of the android boxes (really any device, not limited to android), it seems one really needs to test it with their content/provider as all of them have had reported issues at one time or another... the good thing about the shield though is that typically nvidia does update such (though I have heard of a couple of stations that have issue with nvidia whether its a shield or even graphics on a windows pc) while other updates are few and far between to fix major issues and rarely come for minor issues.

sspell

Post by sspell » Sat May 25, 2019 3:17 pm

My vote for the Jetstream had no problems with it and ethernet is a big plus also like you said it has a SD slot. The mi box I have is the original and put it in a drawer herkie jerky video. I think most the problem with it is the Wi-Fi congestion and you buy a usb ethernet for it and it is more than the 10 dollars of the higher cost of a Jetstream no contest for me.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Sat May 25, 2019 11:24 pm

Don’t have a Jetstream, but our MiBox works great. USB/Ethernet adapters are worthless. We use AC WiFi and it works great.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Sun May 26, 2019 5:19 am

GetMatt wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:24 pm
Don’t have a Jetstream, but our MiBox works great. USB/Ethernet adapters are worthless. We use AC WiFi and it works great.
My Mi Box works great too. I've never had any issues with mine but enough people have reported problems with them I doubt I'd buy a second one. I think we were just lucky to get good ones.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Sun May 26, 2019 8:04 am

After a few months, my MiBox would no longer boot. I then bought a Jetstream to replace the failed MiBox and have had no issues with it. I like the Jetstream very much.

crashnburn

Post by crashnburn » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:39 am

Ebay was a scam. I bought a jetstream. I have homerun, dlna and plex working. I'm still trying to get Amazon prime running. I'm still a bit new to side loading. Is there a good forum for jetstream or androidtv in general?