Record Series ONLY on one channel

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
aldoredo

Record Series ONLY on one channel

Post by aldoredo » Tue May 21, 2019 8:20 am

This in a newbie sort of question (probably) but having carefully read the User Guide to HDHomeRun Record Engine on this forum, and tried every way of eliminating unwanted channels from the "Record Series" selection, I still can't achieve what I'm looking for.

Here in the UK, when you search for a given program or series (in the DISCOVER tab) you are often presented with the same program, at the same time, on six different channels (e.g. HD or SD channel, regional variations, '+1' channels, etc).

Clearly I don't want six recordings of the same thing (even if I had six tuners) but I want to select my preferred channel and recording time - e.g. "BBC 1, London, SD, 9pm" and then click "Record Series".

Ideas, anybody?

Thanks,

Aldoredo

OH, and as a PS, is it possible to start HDHomeRun in some other tab than "LIVE" ?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Record Series ONLY on one channel

Post by signcarver » Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 am

for channel and time, you do one offs and must select each one you wish to record (does not record such as a series)... on most platforms this sets a ChannelOnly and DateTimeOnly rule, though occasionally I have seen it specify only DateTimeOnly.

The way the DVR works is that the red dot does not indicate it will record such but only that it is a candidate for recording... if the engine has such episode, it should not record it again (it will "always" record a FirstAiring of a series, unless currently recording it from another channel at the same start time, and occasionally FirstAiring will show up when not expected, I can't remember if they "fixed" the +1 issue where it was marked as a FirstAiring on each)

It will prefer a favorite channel, then HD then SD when on at the same time

If you wish to specify a ChannelOnly rule, you currently must use 3rd party tools.

There is no way to specify a particular time of an airing unless it also includes the date, thus makes such impractical for series recordings.

One other option you have is "recent" (which I believe now is phrased as Current Season in the app) which records only those episodes whose original airdate was in the past 90 days (most news programs and many "daily" shows have the same original date and are marked as being a FirstAiring thus will still record)

aldoredo

Post by aldoredo » Wed May 22, 2019 3:30 am

Thanks for the reply, signcarver.

I'm used to the way it was done in Windows Media Center (RIP) so this is quite a different approach...

Where we live, HD is prone to pixellation (and, of course, HD recordings take up a lot more disk space) so I guess I need to favorite the SD channels only, to ensure that they are prioritised over HD....

I understand the 'plug in and go' design philosophy but it would be useful to have a bit more configurability here - and, for example, in which tab is shown when the app is started - rather than defaulting to Live TV.

I will investigate the 3rd party tools you mention (and possibly develop one myself) -- I assume searching this forum will be the place to start?

Thanks again,
Aldoredo

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491

Post by elabra » Wed May 22, 2019 8:52 am

aldoredo wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:20 am

OH, and as a PS, is it possible to start HDHomeRun in some other tab than "LIVE" ?
With the new UI you can click on Settings (Gear icon) in the Discover window and select either the Live or Recorded tabs to use as a start window when the program runs.

jboymichelstein

Post by jboymichelstein » Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 am

I vote for an option to start in discover.