Local Network Only??

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Waspfan

Local Network Only??

Post by Waspfan » Tue May 21, 2019 6:16 am

Hi
I am a new user and have only just started using my HD Homerun Quatro here in the UK.
I already have plex pass and thought I would also subscribe today for the HD Homerun DVR.

I have followed the instructions and safely installed all the settings on my Synology Nas and am able to use DVR ok for recording.

I then tried to access HD Homerun on my Android phone and all works well.

Now here's the question.

I felt sure as hell that previously I was able to access my HD Homerun on my Android smart phone on a cellular network and of course not connected to my home network. BUT whenever I try to use The Android app when on cellular network and not on home network I get a message on startup saying connect to wifi or ethernet.

Did I dream remote access was possible or is their another config needed please.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

techpro2004

Re: Local Network Only??

Post by techpro2004 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:21 am

In order to stream remotely, you need a program like emby or plex. Personally, I prefer emby as I find it to be more stable. You will also need hardware capable of transcoding for the server. Another option is a layer 2 vpn, however this will have a much higher bandwidth requirement.

Waspfan

Post by Waspfan » Tue May 21, 2019 7:40 am

Thanks for the info
I have synology ds218+ nas it works great with plex pass
And the nas is the server
I may look at emby also if you can stream remotely
Thanks again

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Tue May 21, 2019 9:46 am

Waspfan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:40 am
Thanks for the info
I have synology ds218+ nas it works great with plex pass
And the nas is the server
I may look at emby also if you can stream remotely
Thanks again
Which of the two you choose is up to you, but a personal suggestion is that if you've already paid for one, there's no real reason to pay for the other.

marks

Post by marks » Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 am

I just started using Plex this week and in the Router I had to assign an ip address and port to the Plex server device which is my case is an NVIDIA Shield and I mounted my WD mycloud EX4 NAS which has my HDhomerun DVR to read the shows/movies. And I had to go to the plex.tv web site and logon and point to the HD Homerun directories where the show/movies reside.
The Mycloud EX4 is old about 5 years and does not do transcoding but the NVIDIA Shield does.

The NVIDIA Shield is setup as DHCP in my case instead of Static; however, if your router supports assigning an ip address and port to a device then the plex.tv site said that is a more elegant solution to reserve an ip address instead of making the Shield itself Static.

It took me a couple days to figure out what to do between reading the Remote connection setup info on plex.tv and youtube videos.

Since then I have not had a problem accessing Plex to get to HDHomerun movies and shows either from my cell or another house.

If I ever get a newer NAS like the WD PR2100 or 4100 that does transcoding I could move the Plex server to that.

bdbauer

Post by bdbauer » Tue May 21, 2019 10:55 am

If it is only recordings you want to stream, you can use the HDHomeRun DVR but still stream the recordings externally with Plex. I don't have the Plex Pass so I occasionally use it that way.

Of course the HDHomeRun App doesn't work remotely, so you can't schedule recordings remotely.

Waspfan

Post by Waspfan » Tue May 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Appreciate the kind help guys